This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Ocean's KingdomMartins, McCartney and McCarney at NYCB

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:10 PM

The September issue of Vogue (Kate Moss cover) contains a shortish feature on the upcoming Peter Martins/Paul McCartney/Stella McCartney collaboration, Ocean's Kingdom. (Sorry -- I couldn't find the story on Vogue's Web site so no link.)

Just looking at photos of Lauren King, Daniel Ulbricht and Giovanni Villalobos in Stella McCartney's designs . . . oh boy. I don't think there will be much middle ground on this one. If the costumes are any indication, this will be the most glorious triumph in the history of the classical ballet or its most embarrassing failure.

And here's the story synopsis from Vogue (without comment from me):

The production, which features Robert Fairchild as Prince Stone, Georgina Pazcoguin as Scala, and Sara Mearns as Princess Honorata, is a boy-meets-girl story; the daughter of King Ocean falls in love with the brother of King Terra and beautifully choroeographed tribulations ensue.

There's also an evil tribe called the Terra Punks.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:29 PM

If the costumes are any indication, this will be the most glorious triumph in the history of the classical ballet or its most embarrassing failure.

Lots of competition in both categories.

#3 kabota

kabota

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:59 PM

Sounds rather like West Side Story by the sea....but I'm still hoping for the best. I will not be surprised if it, indeed, turns out to be one of those love it or loath it type productions.

#4 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:23 AM

The September issue of Vogue (Kate Moss cover) contains a shortish feature on the upcoming Peter Martins/Paul McCartney/Stella McCartney collaboration, Ocean's Kingdom. (Sorry -- I couldn't find the story on Vogue's Web site so no link.)

Just looking at photos of Lauren King, Daniel Ulbricht and Giovanni Villalobos in Stella McCartney's designs . . . oh boy. I don't think there will be much middle ground on this one. If the costumes are any indication, this will be the most glorious triumph in the history of the classical ballet or its most embarrassing failure.

And here's the story synopsis from Vogue (without comment from me):

The production, which features Robert Fairchild as Prince Stone, Georgina Pazcoguin as Scala, and Sara Mearns as Princess Honorata, is a boy-meets-girl story; the daughter of King Ocean falls in love with the brother of King Terra and beautifully choroeographed tribulations ensue.

There's also an evil tribe called the Terra Punks.

The sets are credited to Perry Silvey,who began as a stage manager after the death of Ronnie Bates in the mid-80's. I know he has been involved in the construction/production aspects of all the productions, including things like the Calatrava sets. But as a set designer, he's the new talent on the block for this creation. My best wishes to him!

#5 Krystin

Krystin

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:02 AM

There was also a feature on Ocean's Kingdom in Dance Spirit Magazine this month. The article has some nice photos of Georgina Pazcoguin. Great to see her get some recognition with this opportunity! Link to story:

http://www.dancespir...m/articles/3044

#6 innopac

innopac

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:13 AM

Link to a music preview on youtube

#7 Eileen

Eileen

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:24 AM

There was also a feature on Ocean's Kingdom in Dance Spirit Magazine this month. The article has some nice photos of Georgina Pazcoguin. Great to see her get some recognition with this opportunity! Link to story:

http://www.dancespir...m/articles/3044

Wow, Krystin, that is so interesting! Thanks for posting. I always felt Georgina Pazcoguin was special and should be given recognition.

#8 melange

melange

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:01 PM

I think from this clip that the score sounds better than a lot of "serious contemporary classical" that's being commissioned these days. It also sounds to me like Sir Paul's been listening to a lot of neo-classical Stravinsky.

#9 Slant

Slant

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:57 PM

I think from this clip that the score sounds better than a lot of "serious contemporary classical" that's being commissioned these days. It also sounds to me like Sir Paul's been listening to a lot of neo-classical Stravinsky.

Sounds more like film music to me. Something like Jerry Goldsmith. Also, I am disappointed they have now dropped the performance of Union Jack from the Gala.

#10 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:35 PM

The New York Times just posted on-line a new feature about this work:
http://www.nytimes.c...ity-ballet.html

#11 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:03 AM

From today's Sunday Times Magazine: two photos
http://www.nytimes.c...ml?ref=magazine
and a brief video about the Water Sprite outdoor photo shoot.
http://video.nytimes...100000001057238

#12 Tapfan

Tapfan

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:43 AM

I have this irrational dislike of City Ballet and just about everyone connected with it. They just seem so darned smug.

But the photos and videos for "Ocean's Kingdom" are so freakishly beautiful that I want this project to be successful in spite of myself.

#13 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:11 AM

I just bought a tickets for Ocean's Kingdom - Thursday Sept. 29. The website wasn't working (at least for me) so I called. Guess I didn't realize there was a $9 per ticket fee.

Hope it's good. I'll be seeing NYCB a lot less than usual this year because of the prices and new seating situation.

#14 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:04 PM

Forgive my cynicism, but I'm looking at this whole undertaking from a whole new angle. Whether or not it ends up a great artistic success (miracles happen -- who knows?), it will prove, for at least a few seasons, to be a popular curiosity, likely to sell lots of tickets.

Even beyond that, Peter Martins has formed a relationship with a very wealthy potential benefactor. Every penny counts these days. I hope Sir Paul has a new passion for ballet and a burning desire to support it.

#15 Ceeszi

Ceeszi

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:53 AM

I have this irrational dislike of City Ballet and just about everyone connected with it. They just seem so darned smug.

But the photos and videos for "Ocean's Kingdom" are so freakishly beautiful that I want this project to be successful in spite of myself.

I used to feel the same way about New York City Ballet. Sara Mearns made me change my mind :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):