rg

Moira Shearer and Lucia Chase

7 posts in this topic

scan of a Crush Bar moment caught by a news photographer, presumably on the occasion of Ballet Theatre's (here called National American Ballet Th.) tour to the Royal Opera House at Covent Garden.

post-848-012362800 1313872057_thumb.jpg

post-848-016286100 1313872091_thumb.jpg

Shearer gorgeous as usual. Nice to know our "U.S. Ballet Girls" had a hospitable reception. :)

That headline struck me as well. Were there no "ballet boys" on the tour?

Chase is "danseuse" and Shearer is "ballerina"...? Is there any logic behind this that I fail to catch...? :dunno:

Given the period, I'd say that it reflected Lucia's soubrette roles, but Shearer's "leading lady" status in performing. And also, it avoids using the same word twice in one caption.

I think Mel's point about repetition is probably the best explanation -- I certainly doubt that the caption writer was trying to convey subtle nuances about styles and roles.

I did notice, though, that Shearer was wearing a hat and gloves, while Chase had neither. Do you think that's just coincidence?

with the 29-year difference in their ages perhaps the copy was using to the terms to indicate a dancer still in her prime (and still performing leading roles, on pointe) and one, well, past it, and doing less promient and demanding roles.