This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Moira Shearer and Lucia Chase1950 newsphoto

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 12:29 PM

scan of a Crush Bar moment caught by a news photographer, presumably on the occasion of Ballet Theatre's (here called National American Ballet Th.) tour to the Royal Opera House at Covent Garden.

Attached Files

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,919 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:14 PM

Shearer gorgeous as usual. Nice to know our "U.S. Ballet Girls" had a hospitable reception. :)

#3 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• 7,320 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:17 PM

That headline struck me as well. Were there no "ballet boys" on the tour?

#4 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,275 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:24 PM

Chase is "danseuse" and Shearer is "ballerina"...? Is there any logic behind this that I fail to catch...? :dunno:

#5 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:45 AM

Given the period, I'd say that it reflected Lucia's soubrette roles, but Shearer's "leading lady" status in performing. And also, it avoids using the same word twice in one caption.

#6 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:01 PM

I think Mel's point about repetition is probably the best explanation -- I certainly doubt that the caption writer was trying to convey subtle nuances about styles and roles.

I did notice, though, that Shearer was wearing a hat and gloves, while Chase had neither. Do you think that's just coincidence?

#7 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:24 PM

with the 29-year difference in their ages perhaps the copy was using to the terms to indicate a dancer still in her prime (and still performing leading roles, on pointe) and one, well, past it, and doing less promient and demanding roles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):