This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Marcelo Gomes Interview with Jo Soares

Thanks, MRR - this is wonderful.

Gomes is introduced with the correct pronunciation of his name (naturally!): "Marselo Gomesh", which is the Portugese pronunciation. Years ago in a magazine interview, Marcelo was asked how to pronounce his name, and he answered the same way, Marselo Gomesh, adding that he didn't mind how it was pronounced. What a guy! :) It's lovely to hear him speaking Portugese in his resonant voice, isn't it? (Listening as I write, I heard him mention Fernando 'Bujonesh'.)

It's great he got such a long TV interview, including several videoclips of his dancing. He looks fantastic gesturing and speaking, sitting so straight, yet relaxed. He plants a nice smooch on the host's cheek at the end.

Listen up, American TV! Who'll be the first talk show host to give Marcelo Gomes equal time in English?

Class. In any language.

As to the pronunciation of his name, I thought I heard the interviewer say "GO-miss at the start, and "GO-mees" right before the conclusion, but without a pronounced "sh". In Portugal, I think, it would be "GO-mesh," but maybe things are different in Brazil, or that part of Brazil at least.

Listen up, American TV! Who'll be the first talk show host to give Marcelo Gomes equal time in English?

I searched the Charlie Rose Show and found, to my surprise, that he had never been interviewed there. A missed opportunity.