#1 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,137 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:20 AM

PNB has created a short trailer for the "All Wheeldon" program:

I recognize Rachel Foster and James Moore in "After the Rain Pas de Deux", Carla Korbes and Seth Orza in "Carousel", and Carla Korbes (pink tulle) and Amanda Clark (deep red) in "Variations SÚrieuses". It may have been Louise Nadeau in the clip from Polyphonia (black leotard) and with Seth Orza in "Variations SÚrieuses", but so many of the clips went by too fast to be sure.

I missed the Laugh Out Loud Festival and haven't yet seen "Variations SÚrieuses", but the casts I did see in the other Wheeldon ballets are:

"After the Rain Pas de Deux" (May-June 2009): Korbes/Bold (opening gala), Chapman/Bold, Nadeau/Stanton, Chapman/Cruz, Foster/Moore.
"Carousel (A Dance)" (March 2008): Foster/Tisserand, Thomas/Moore
"Polyphonia" (March 2007): Chapman/Milov, Weese/Postlewaite, Foster/Spell

#2 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,456 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:36 AM

It may have been Louise Nadeau in the clip from Polyphonia (black leotard) and with Seth Orza in "Variations SÚrieuses", but so many of the clips went by too fast to be sure.

That is Nadeau in Variations SÚrieuses -- she did a great job with the comedy, as did Jonathan P. I'm really looking forward to seeing this again.

#3 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:53 PM

It may have been Louise Nadeau in the clip from Polyphonia (black leotard) and with Seth Orza in "Variations SÚrieuses", but so many of the clips went by too fast to be sure.

That is Nadeau in Variations SÚrieuses -- she did a great job with the comedy, as did Jonathan P. I'm really looking forward to seeing this again.

"Variations SÚrieuses" premiered at NYCB and I saw it several times. I believe that both Wendy Whalen and Maria Korowski danced the lead, but I could be wrong. I know Maria has tremendous comedic abilities.

Even though he changed the ending so that it became a little more devilish, and I preferred the original ending (more like "42nd Street"), I enjoyed it tremendously. I was very sorry that NYCB did not retain it in the rep, and am happy to hear that it would be possible, with a little trip to Seattle, to see it again!

#4 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:11 PM

Very impressive trailer. Considering the number of different works involved, it's amazing how well they have edited the clips to fit the Mendelssohn music.

#5 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,456 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:42 AM

Very impressive trailer. Considering the number of different works involved, it's amazing how well they have edited the clips to fit the Mendelssohn music.

The woman who does their in-house video work is very skilled -- they've made excellent use of their website, especially the video component.

#6 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,456 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:13 PM

"Variations SÚrieuses" premiered at NYCB and I saw it several times. I believe that both Wendy Whalen and Maria Korowski danced the lead, but I could be wrong. I know Maria has tremendous comedic abilities.

Even though he changed the ending so that it became a little more devilish, and I preferred the original ending (more like "42nd Street"), I enjoyed it tremendously. I was very sorry that NYCB did not retain it in the rep, and am happy to hear that it would be possible, with a little trip to Seattle, to see it again!

I was very taken with it when it was performed here -- alongside the comic elements, which were great fun, I loved the forced perspective of the set, and the odd 'from the side' point of view we got. The double front aspect of the performance part of the work (the false front on stage right of the ballet and the real front for us in the audience) was very cleverly done -- a smartypants kind of trick from Wheeldon.

#7 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,137 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:36 PM

PNB just published a video from "Carousel: A Dance" with Carla Korbes and Seth Orza:

Lindsay Thomas is the editor of these videos, one of the unsung heroes at PNB. She's listed in the Marketing and Communications Department as "Videographer" as well.

#8 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,137 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:03 AM

Christopher Wheeldon will host a preview of the All Wheeldon program on Wednesday, 21 September from 6:30-8:00 pm at McCaw Hall.

General admission ickets are $20 ($10 for subscribers):
http://www.pnb.org/S...ve/?perf=12LD01

#9 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,137 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:35 PM

Polyphonia preview, in the main rehearsal studio in the Phelps Center:

Kaori Nakamura/Benjamin Griffiths
Benjamin Griffiths/Lucien Postlewaite
Sarah Ricard Orza/Jerome Tisserand
from bottom of screen: Ricard Orza/Tisserand, Rachel Foster/Postlewaite, Carla Korbes/Batkhurel Bold, Nakamura/Griffiths

#10 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,137 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:52 PM

First week is up, which makes it feel real after a long summer:

http://www.pnb.org/S...Details-Casting

Here is the first week in Excel spreadsheet form to download to compare casts.

Attached File  Rep 1 performance casting week 1.xls   29.5KB   8 downloads

Many of the announced new apprentices and members of the corps de ballet make their debuts in the corps of "Carousel (A Dance)" on Opening Night, Friday, 23 September: Leah Biasucci, Sarah Pasch, Elizabeth Murphy, Matthew Renko, along with apprentice-turned-corps Jenna Nelson, with apprentice Steven Loch appearing in the male corps in "Variations Serieuses" on Saturday evening, joined by Renko.

Carla Korbes/Seth Orza and Sarah Ricard Orza/Jerome Tisserand alternate as the leads in "Carousel (A Dance)". Ricard Orza, who was striking as a demi-soloist in the last run, should be wonderful in the lead. (She also has leads in "Polyphonia" and "Variations Serieuses"). Korbes, Orza, and Tisserand reprise their roles.

"After the Rain Pas de Deux" is shared by three couples: Rachel Foster/James Moore, Carla Korbes/Batkhurel Bold, and Maria Chapman/Karel Cruz. Happily James Moore is back from last season's injury.

The casting for Polyphonia mostly follows the casting in the video above, with Maria Chapman and Karel Cruz in place of Korbes/Bold on Saturday night.

#11 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,456 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:29 AM

I thought I would go to the Friday evening and Saturday matinees, and see other stuff in town Saturday evening, but I don't want to miss Imler in VS.

#12 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,137 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:53 AM

More frequently on first weekend, the casts are split Friday and Saturday nights for one cast, with Saturday matinees for another. Just when you think you can predict :)

#13 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,137 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:50 AM

"After the Rain Pas de Deux" -- Maria Chapman and Karel Cruz

Includes wonderful footage of Chapman's amazing feet.

#14 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:45 PM

.......and I love the way she seems to be be so willing to fly.

#15 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,137 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:19 PM

And, finally, a snippet of rehearsal for "Variations Serieuses":

Laura Gilbreath, Jonathan Porretta (blue tank and black shorts) and Seth Orza.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):