This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sergei Berezhnoi

This is very sad news. Seriozha Berezhnoi was a gentleman, a danseur noble's danseur noble: Graceful, quiet, humble and unassuming.

He was also an astute and effective teacher. May he rest in perfect peace. My condolensces and deepest sympathy to his wife

Tatiana Terekhova.

Rg thanks for alerting us all to this.

It is such a sad loss -- Berezhnoi was coach and advisor and mentor to quite a number of dancers in the company and continued to give daily classes (at 12 noon) each day in the theatre until recently. He is part of that older generation and part of another era that sadly is starting to disappear. I know he is already missed by so many people whose lives he touched. I too share in posting condolences to his wife Tatiana and to all the dancers in the theatre. What sad sad news.

scans of two photos c. Paris, 1982, when the Kirov Ballet played the Palais des congres.

1] Sergei Berezhnoi and Tatiana Terekhova in DIANA AND ACTEON PAS DE DEUX

2] Sergei Berezhnoi and Irina Kolpokova in GISELLE, act 2.

post-848-078784500 1312512612_thumb.jpg

post-848-068751100 1312512626_thumb.jpg

In London we had heard that the reason Tatiana Terekhova was not with the Maryinsky as a coach, was because of her husbands illness.

I am now deeply saddedned to hear of his passing remembering his performances as a dancer and a most excellent partner.

Here was a partnership that off stage exuded warm and gentle personalities.

Mr Berezhnoi is seen here with his wife in Diana and Actaeon of which I have fond memories.

and with Irina Kolpakhova(aged 49)in Les Papillon.

The Youtuber "russianballetvideo" has posted a lovely video tribute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbdLJqN17BA&feature=feedu

Thank you for posting this link.

I found it very moving to see Sergei Berezhnoi teach and would have loved to have seen the full film, to watch how the class performed the enchainements. I particularly admired Berezhnoi's port de bras.

For those unfamiliar with Terekhova's Aurora,I hope you admire her distinctiveness of structure and outline redolent of performances of Xenia Ter-Stepanova and Irina Kopakhova when the Kirov still had great dancers.

As I mentioned earlier, this of course is the first time for Somova in London without her familiar coach.