This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Emerging Pictures Live Ballet in Cinemas

The casting for La Sylphide is up on the Bolshoi website. Sylphide will be the next ballet to be broadcast in the Ballet In Cinema series. I believe they are broadcasting the Sept 30 performance. If that is the case, the lead cast is Krysanova and Lopatin. I think I would have preferred to see the alternate cast of Obratsova and Skvortsov.

New York's Big Cinema Manhattan is presenting Sylphide on Oct 7, according to their website.

The movie theater where I see them is playing La Sylphide on Oct. 7 and 9, but not on Sept. 30, so I guess they will show a recorded version (from Sept. 30, I assume from what you say). I wonder if the Bolshoi is going away from transmitting them "live" and just showing them a few days later after recording them. That will be a shame if that is how they plan to do it this season. Part of the allure of the transmissions is that they are "live" (at least the first time they transmit).

This is probably why the Met's live transmissions have been so successful while the Opera in Cinema series (as opposed to the Metropolitan Opera) has been less successful. Lots of people go to the Met transmissions b/c they are live. Mistakes can happen, and that gives a slight more excitement to it. When Opera in Cinema first started it was more pre-recorded transmissions, so they did not take off in popularity like the Met operas.

So I was glad when the Ballet in Cinema always had a "live" transmission and a repeat. Now it appears there will be two pre-recorded transmissions at least here in Florida.

I think the decision is less to do with the Bolshoi and more with the cinemas showing them. Here in Canada the Sylphide broadcast is on the 30th. Not strictly live, as that would be 11 am in the eastern time zone, and they are actually shown at 1 pm. I expect the movie theatres found that attendance is better if they start after lunch.

Interesting, because I thought last year they were showing them live on the East Coast in the US (at 11am), but delayed for the West Coast. (They've started here in Vancouver at 1pm.)

I'm fairly certain that in Europe, they're being shown live. There's only a few hour time difference, depending on the country.

My cinema in New York City has cut back on the number of showings. Previously they always had two showings of the Bolshoi films (one live, plus one the following Sunday, all at 11 AM). This year they have only one showing. I'm a little surprised because attendance seemed pretty good. Also, it's not like they are showing anything else at !! AM on a Sunday. My theater has started reserving 3 rows of seats for press. This is a problem, because the theater really isn't that large. Guess I'll have to get up even earlier now to get a good seat.

Did anyone else go to the RB Swan Lake w/ Yanowsky and Kish that was broadcasted today?

It was an enjoyable show overall; I know that I've read much complaining about the costumes but (aside from the swan tutus which I still despise) I thought everything looked very lovely. Though I also liked the designs of Dowell's Sleeping Beauty and that was apparently very hated by many who frequent the RB.

The pd3 was Yuhui Choe (who is lovely), Alexander Campbell (also lovely and better here than as the Bluebird in the broadcast last year, though not quite as good as his Mercutio from the R&J); and Helen Crawford I THINK, who was techically good, if a little rushed but looked very aged with new blonde hair. Bad makeup also maybe?

I've never seen Yanowsky live, but have seen bits online. Honestly I was expecting to enjoy her more than I did. I found her arms and upper back to be really unexpressive, which is a crucial skill in Swan Lake (may have been spoiled by all those Mariinsky SLs I just saw though). I thought she played Odile a little too girlish, for her height and age. I wanted more delicious evil. In acts 2 and 3, she seemed a little tentative technically speaking (she fell out of the fouettes at the end of pdd and also fell out of one of her attitude turns). I know she's recently had two children so I assume that has something to do with it. Her best go was in Act IV which overall was infinitely more fulfilling than the Mariinsky production. I quite liked her there. Kish was a good Siegfried, though he had a few technical issues in act 3 as well. He was a good partner and generally charismatic.

In the swan corps special mentions go to Hikaru Kobayashi who was one of the big swans. She practically floated every time she was in movement. Really beautiful. Also Emma Maguire, who has stood out in every RB broadcast I've seen for her really crisp and clean dancing. She lead the swan corps out, as well as the cygnets, and also was one of the princesses in Act 3. I hope there are opportunities down the pipeline because she is/was wonderful. Head scratching was Laura Morera, a principal, in one of the Act 3 diverts.

This repeats in theaters on Nov 6 in the evening, I believe.

Thank you ksk04 for the names of the dancers in the pas de trois and big swans. I completely agree with your comments, especially about the lovely Asian dancer in the pdt (now I know it was Yuhui Choe) and the very lovely big swan. I also found Yanowsky, who previously I had never heard of, unexpressive and uninteresting. As for the production.... not for me. The drunkenness, the floppy skirts for the swans, von Rothbart with mohawk... yech. I hope never to see a "concept" Swan Lake again.

You're welcome--there's also this for more info: https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/static.roh.org.uk/news/new+folder/Swan+Lake+Cast+Sheet+ENG.pdf The cast sheet I got at the theater only named Yanowsky and Kish.

I would like to add I really enjoyed the behind the scenes videos, especially the one for the corps. Overall the RB continues to be great at these broadcasts, though they do run a bit long. Since we aren't getting them live, it'd be great if they could TRIM the intermissions and play those behind the scenes videos through them, rather than having the broadcast run for 3 hr 22 minutes. My theater doesn't turn on the lights during intermission, so sitting in the dark for 2 x 15 minutes gets a little old.