This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Emerging Pictures Live Ballet in Cinemas

That's odd. Here in Belgium we seem to get all of the Bolshoi broadcasts, except for the reopening gala :huh::(

The Bolshoi reopening seems to be the 'rarest' one of all. It's being shown in very few theaters in the USA but, luckily, in ONE TWO theaters in my area of Washington, DC: Herndon, VA (near Dulles Airport) and, closer into town, AFI Silver in Silver Spring, MD.

It will be worth the day-off work (10 am on a Friday morn!) and the drive, though. Ah, the things that we do for art. :)

Edited once we heard that the AFI Silver Spring would also be showing it. See below.

Edited by Natalia

The 'Ballet in Cinemas' website has now announced a list of highlights from the program. Balletomanes will not feel short-changed (it's not "opera heavy," in other words):

Highlights from the evenings program:

A special re-staging of the garland waltz from The Sleeping Beauty by Alexey Ratmansky, with music by Pytor Illich Tchaikovsky.

Bolshoi Orchestra performs the polonaise from the opera Ivan Susanin by Mikhail Glinka. This opera is commonly known in the West as A Life for the Tsar.

Performance of the Act II opening scene, the Appian Way, from the ballet Spartacus, with music by Aram Khachaturian and choreography by former director and chief choreographer of the Bolshoi Ballet, Yuri Grigorovich.

Performance of an excerpt from the opera, Betrothal in a Monastery, by Sergei Prokofiev. This opera was premiered in St. Petersburg at the Kirov Theatre in 1964.

Performance of the folk-like Basque dance from the ballet The Flames of Paris, with choreography by Alexei Ratmansky and music by Boris Asafiev.

Rarely seen or heard in the West, singers of the Bolshoi Opera will perform an excerpt of Tchaikovskys one-act opera, Iolanta. This opera served as an opening to the premiere of Tchaikovskys ballet, The Nutcracker, in St. Petersburg.

Members of the Bolshoi Opera perform the famous Polovetsian Dances scene from the opera Prince Igor by A. Borodin.

And many more surprises!

Another theater in the DC area will be airing the Bolshoi Reopening Gala LIVE - just announced: the AFI Silver Theater in Silver Spring, MD. (Hoorah - closer to my home in downtown DC!)

http://www.afi.com/silver/new/nowplaying/2011/v8i4/balletincinema.aspx

Unlike the Worldgate 9 in far-off Herndon, VA, the AFI Silver is already selling tix online. It's $15 per person.

Hopefully other theaters across North America will be added in the coming days.

re. the Dec 15 planned showing of the Royal Ballet's Sleeping Beauty (with Cuthbertson & Polunin), I just notice that a local theater in the DC area (AFI Silver Spring, MD) has cancelled this, citing that "this production has been postponed to summer 2012" :

http://www.afi.com/s...etincinema.aspx (scroll down to 4th production on list)

I'm wondering if this is just a one-theater postponement or if the entire plan to show it across the world has been scrapped (or postponed til summer)? Maybe the timing of the Bolshoi's Sleeping Beauty 3 weeks earlier is to blame (too many Beauties, too soon)? [There are never "too many" Beauties for me.]

Thanks, abatt. So it's not just the DC area. Odd. It's not as if the Royal Ballet has cancelled the performances of Beauty, i.e., Cuthbertson & Polunin are still "on" to perform SB on the evening of Dec 15 in London. It's a shame about the cancellation of the screening (in some places, if not all).

I hear that a re-screening of last year's live Bolshoi Ballet production of Nutcracker will take place on December 18th. Does anyone know how to get information about which theaters will be showing it in New York City and how to buy tickets? All I can find are links for NYCB's Nutcracker live. But I'd love to see last year's Bolshoi Ballet production.

It's extremely frustrating to find a listing that will link to these Bolshoi Live broadcasts and show you ALL the theatres. Probably because New york City Ballet are broadcasting their own Nutcracker, New York doesn't seem to have as many theatres showing the Bolshoi one. I did find ONE listing (I don't know NYC, but it's apparently in the Bronx), so I hope this is some help to you:

http://eventful.com/bronx/events/nutcracker-bolshoi-high-def-/E0-001-043583878-5

EricHG31, Thank you so much for the information and the link. I found another theater showing it--BIG Cinemas Manhattan at 11 a.m. I don't have the link but I'm sure anyone can find it with google, as I did. I'm sure you're right about the competition with NYCB. Probably most theaters showing the live NYCB Nutcracker don't want to show another one a short time later. Even though the Bolshoi performance is not live, it was filmed live last year, and I understand it's really good.

Information about telecasts from the Bolshoi for 2012/2013: http://www.pathelive...lchoi-2012-2013

Via Google Translate:

The Bolshoi (literally "Grand Theatre") is one of opera houses and ballet's most renowned world. The Bolshoi Ballet has over 250 registered dancers and more than 30 ballets in its repertoire with annual classical works from the most famous contemporary choreographers. Legendary artists have danced at the Bolshoi.

With the worldwide success of the previous season, the Bolshoi Ballet continues to be broadcast live in a hundred cinemas in France and over 600 cinemas worldwide.

You will find at this season, eight exceptional ballets.

PROGRAMMING THE NEW SEASON OF Bolshoi Ballet

NEW BALLET SEASON SCHEDULE BOLSHOI

Sunday, September 30, 2012: LOST ILLUSIONS (Direct)

September 2012, Sunday 30th: LOST ILLUSIONS (Live)

Sunday, October 21, 2012: SWAN LAKE (Registered)

October 2012, Sunday 21st: SWAN LAKE (Recorded)

Sunday, November 25, 2012: PHARAOH'S DAUGHTER (Direct)

November 2012, Sunday 25th: THE PHARAOH'S DAUGHTER (Live)

Sunday, December 16, 2012: THE NUTCRACKER (Registered)

December 2012, Sunday 16th: NUTCRACKER (Recorded)

Sunday, January 27, 2013: La Bayadere (Direct)

January 2013, Sunday 27th: La Bayadere (Live)

Sunday, February 10, 2013: DON QUIXOTE (Registered)

February 2013, Sunday 10th: DON QUIXOTE (Recorded)

Sunday, March 31, 2013: THE RITE OF SPRING (Direct)

March 2013, Sunday 31st: THE RITE OF SPRING (Live)

Sunday, May 12, 2013: ROMEO AND JULIET (Direct)

May 2013, Sunday 12th: ROMEO AND JULIET (Live)

Hello,

I hope this information is helpful for all the Bolshoi ballet fans out there..

If you want to see the list of Bolshoi performances, you can check out this link:

http://www.balletincinema.com/titles/

There are several shows coming up this summer, such as The Sleeping Beauty, The Bright Stream, and Raymonda.

This link will guide you to find the nearest theatres in your area and their showtimes by simply typing the zip code!

http://www.emergingpictures.com/theaters/

The 2011-12 series will be re-run over the summer, adding 50 new Cinemark theater locations to the rotation. If you go to the Cinemark site, find your local theater, you should find the listings under the "Coming Soon" features if the theater will be showing them. This is exciting for me as the closest theater that showed this season's broadcasts was 30 miles away, so if you've been frustrated by the lack of showings near you, you may wish to check up on the summer reruns with Cinemark.

I was at a movie tonight and they ran a nice trailer advertising the series, but when I went to the BalletinCinema website they didn't have my specific theater listed (why show a trailer for a special event you will not be showing?). However, further investigation at the listings for the specific Cinemark theater gave me the summer schedule. Why they can't make this easier, I don't know, but there you have it! flowers.gif

......PROGRAMMING THE NEW SEASON OF Bolshoi Ballet

Apparently this one is 'lost' and has been replaced by a performance of LA SYLPHIDE on the same day. Phooey! Click on the same Pathe link provided by Rosa, above....now shows SYLPHIDE.

Apparently this one is 'lost' and has been replaced by a performance of LA SYLPHIDE on the same day. Phooey! Click on the same Pathe link provided by Rosa, above....now shows SYLPHIDE.

Darn! I wanted to see those table top fouettes in their full glory!

That's too bad -- I love Sylphide, but have never seen Lost Illusions, and I'm always curious about something I haven't seen.

Fille Mal Gardee was mostly very well produced video-wise and very well worth the ticket... but the Giselle last summer with Osipova and Sarafanov had terrible framing choices... I wonder if there are different directors used for different cities and how we can find out who will be responsible.

Grigorovich's Raymonda is over 3 hours? That's really long. I have my doubts that all 3 hours are worth the viewing and suspect that what is good in it will be lost in the drudgery of what is not. How do people here feel about his Raymonda? Is it too long to encourage non balletomane friends to come to?

Three hours is a 'standard' night for a traditional Petipa ballet. It's the basics.

The Osipova-Sarafanov GISELLE was from a different prodction team...from the Mariinsky and done in 3-D, I believe. The Emergeing Pictures team does a much better job.

Fille Mal Gardee was mostly very well produced video-wise and very well worth the ticket... but the Giselle last summer with Osipova and Sarafanov had terrible framing choices... I wonder if there are different directors used for different cities and how we can find out who will be responsible.

Grigorovich's Raymonda is over 3 hours? That's really long. I have my doubts that all 3 hours are worth the viewing and suspect that what is good in it will be lost in the drudgery of what is not. How do people here feel about his Raymonda? Is it too long to encourage non balletomane friends to come to?

I find Grigorovich's Raymonda very exciting. He throws in a lot of bravura stuff that wasn't in the original Raymonda. For example, right before Raymonda's entrance Jean de Brienne jumps and jumps (in excitement at the arrival of his fiancé). Jean de Brienne has a much larger role than originally intended. He is in all of Act 1 if I remember correctly. In the more traditional Raymondas he has gone off to the Crusades as the ballet begins and sends a portrait of himself to Raymonda's birthday and only shows up in her dream, but in the Bolshoi's version, he takes part in the birthday and then leaves but appears in her dream also.

Abderakhman has more exciting dancing too, if I remember correctly. I think the traditional Abderakhman has very little dancing. Grigorovitch gives this character much more dancing to do.

I love this ballet, so I will definitely go see it. I would go see it if they added even more scenes and made it 5 hours long!

I loved the La Scala reconstruction and bought the dvd when it came out recently, but the Bolshoi version is a lot of fun too. More dancing for the men and a slight change in the story. It will actually confuse some people if they already know the more traditional Mariinsky or La Scala versions.

The Danse orientale which I have obsessed about in previous topics is done almost like a duet for Abderakhman and Raymonda in Grigorovich's version. Overall, I believe Raymonda's variations stay pretty much the same. It has been a while since I viewed the Bolshoi's version on dvd. But I enjoy it. The only bad thing is that I think the sets look very dated, unless they have updated or created a new production since the commercial videos from the 1980s. I hope this is a new production compared to what I've seen from the 1980s videos!!! I know it is not new this year, but maybe sometime in the last decade they replaced the sets.

I wouldn't miss this presentation! But each person has his/her own personality, so you might not like it as much as I do. Some gorgeous dancing throughout the ballet. Act 2 "Cour d'amour" is full of fun national dances. Act 3 contains the wonderful Grand pas classique hongrois.

Act 1 sometimes drags for me, b/c it is a long act when you include the dream sequence, but the dream sequence has some gorgeous dancing too.

I absolutely adore this ballet, so I can't imagine not wanting to see it, but I don't want to rave and then you go and can't stand it and curse me! LOL

Bart

Thanks Bart! It now sounds so much more promising!

If you are not a fan of Grigorovich's choreography you might not like it, but overall it is still based on Petipa. I think the male roles are fleshed out much more in Grigorovich's version. Zahkarova is going to dance Raymonda in this transmission, and some people don't like her, but I enjoy her dancing. I think most complaints are about her ultra high extensions and her cold demeanor. I think stand offish demeanor works okay with Raymonda, although ideally she would be like a little princess in her first act. Later she can be a bit colder. Overall, I think Zakharova should do well. There is a video of her Raymonda from Japan (most of it was on YouTube), and she is good in it.