This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

BALLETS: USA Robbins's AFTERNOON OF A FAUN1961 publicity photo with Kay Mazzo and John Jones

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:00 AM

Does your program include production credits?

#17 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:24 AM

i scanned the data given for each ballet.
not sure what you mean by 'production credits'.

#18 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

i scanned the data given for each ballet.
not sure what you mean by 'production credits'.

production crew, whoever else was associated with the tour.

#19 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:42 PM

i didn't see much more credit-wise and my prog. is not filed away, if, when i retrieve it from its storage place, i'll have a look.

#20 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:31 AM

scan of Ballets: USA on the Ed Sullivan Show, 1960, dancing what's become known as the "Mistake Waltz" from Robbins's THE CONCERT.

the following identifications come from B. M. Fisher:
(left to right) Wilma Curley and Pat Dunn front row. Maybe the last girl on the right is Gwen Lewis.(B.M.F. was not in the Waltz, tho' she danced what she calls in her book, IN BALANCHINE'S COMPANY, the "Mad Ballerina."

the NYPL dance cat. entry on the film follows:
The concert 1960. 15 min. sd. b&w.
Restrictions :Permission required.
Notes : Abridged version.
: Telecast by CBS-TV on the Ed Sullivan Show, February 21, 1960.
: Choreography: Jerome Robbins. Music: Frédéric Chopin. Conductor: Werner Torkanowsky. Pianist: Betty Walberg.
: Performed by Muriel Bentley, Wilma Curley, Patricia Dunn, Maria Karnilova, Barbara Milberg. Tommy Abbott, Todd Bolender, James White, and members of Ballets: U.S.A.
: Includes six of the original ten sequences: Polonaise in A major, Berceuse, Prelude no. 18 in F minor, Waltz no. 14 in E minor, Prelude no. 7 in A major, Butterfly ballade (no. 3 in A-flat major).

Attached Files

#21 john jones

john jones

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

scan of a publicity photo of Robbins's FAUN from '61 - which was the final tour of Ballets: USA (see much data in Deborah Jowitt's JEROME ROBBINS; HIS LIFE, HIS THEATER, HIS DANCE) when then-NYCB-apprentice Kay Mazzo was 15 years old and dancing the ballet opposite John Jones.
colleague David Vaughan has written me to note that Jones is among the small number of dancers to have danced both Nijinsky's and Robbins's versions of FAUN(E); DV elaborted that Jones danced Nijinsky's version in a staging by Antony Tudor, which he did in Philadelphia when he was also creating his OFFENBACH IN THE UNDERWORLD.

Hello,  I am writing on behalf of John Jones.  He is trying to find photos of himself.  He was very greatful to find this one.  Do you know where he could find others?

#22 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:57 PM

i don't personally, now know of any other photos of Jones.

I can ask a colleague who might know of some.

I'll post again if I learn anything further.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):