This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Japan tour 2011

Kajiya and Simkin are doing principal roles in Don Q in Japan. It seems like the objective was to present everyone at the conference who was undertaking principal roles, irrespective of their official rank within the company.

Kajiya and Simkin are doing principal roles in Don Q in Japan. It seems like the objective was to present everyone at the conference who was undertaking principal roles, irrespective of their official rank within the company.

You're right, I'm sure. I did a "google translate" on the page. Can't help but laugh at some of the renderings! Cory becomes "Collie Stearns." Anyway, it's good to see Hallberg on his feet!

Hopefully, I can do this link - just a post with pics of the company in Japan. (This and other articles found through JapanArts.)

http://ja-ballet.seesaa.net/article/215887438.html

Anyone BA members who can translate the kanji or post re the performances, please do so. Domo arigato....

Woohoo, for once I can help out! Though this feels like a game of telephone—they spoke in English, their words got translated into Japanese, and now I am translating back to English. It does seem like it’s not a word-for-word translation though, as many of the expressions/colloquiums used are specific to Japanese. :sweatingbullets:

Here is what the quotes said:

Kevin McKenzie: I’m happy that we were able to come to Japan. For everyone who suffered daily because of the earthquake, I am very proud to be able to give people a good time using the art of ballet, and I think it’s a great honor for ABT to send hope and good wishes as a representative of America.

David Hallberg: I’m really looking forward to performing in Japan. I always feel a lot of anticipation and support from you all. We feel the responsibility of meeting those expectations, and in the same way that the Japanese fans support ABT, this time, I think it would be good if we could support you all by giving a good performance.

Gillian Murphy: Everyone always greets us so warmly, and I always look forward to performing in Japan. I offer my condolences to everyone who was affected by the earthquake. And I empathize with the words of karate to “face things with spirit and heart,” and we will also try to do our best.

Marcelo Gomes: I’m very happy that I get to dance in front of all of you. I think everyone in Japan has been affected by the earthquake and has suffered, but I want you to know that you are always in our thoughts and prayers. This time we have brought exciting performances, so by all means, please come to watch them.

Paloma Herrera: Like everyone else, I’m very happy we were able to come to Japan. I think my first tour was when I was 16, but this time it is also in Japan, so I have special feelings about Japan.

Jose Carreno: I’m very happy I was able to come to Japan in the year that I’m retiring from ABT. Many of my fans and colleagues at ABT regret that I am retiring, but I am very happy. I am sad to leave ABT, but my love for dancing won’t change, and I think I might be able to approach ballet from a different perspective.

Julie Kent: Yesterday we arrived in Japan after finishing performances in NY and LA. When I arrived at the hotel, my first thought was “I’ve returned to my family home!” This time is the fourth time I’ve come to Japan with my son, and it is the first time I brought my daughter with me. I hope you all enjoy our performances.

Angel Corella: I feel like I’ve returned to my family. I would like to dance for the world and for Japan. And even if it’s for a short while, I hope you have a good time.

Xiomara Reyes: I’m filled with excitement. I think healing starts with the heart, so I would like to help heal everyone’s hearts with our performances.

Veronika Part: I’ve come to Japan many times. The first time was when I was with the Vaganova Academy, but I also have been coming with ABT. I love the Japanese people.

Cory Stearns: Please call me Cory! This is the second time I’ve come to Japan. I would like you to see how I have grown. I am very excited about our performances in Japan. Also, congratulations to Nadeshiko Japan [the women’s soccer team] for winning!

Yuriko Kajiya: ABT’s dancers and staff all truly love Japan. And everyone looked forward to participating in our Japan tour. This time, I heard about the earthquake in Japan on TV while in far-away New York, and everyone in the ballet company including me said they wanted to support Japan. Because of this, we were able to return to Japan, and I think it would be great if we could help people forget reality for just a little bit and have a good time. We have brought American power to Japan, so please enjoy our performances.

Daniil Simkin: This is the 8th time I’ve come to Japan, but it is the first time with ABT. I think it’s a great honor to come to Japan as part of a family. Since it’s right after the earthquake, I want to dance and do my best to bring everyone joy through art.

On the other blog posts there are pictures from a rehearsal. One comment I thought was cute was regarding Gomes/Kent practicing the "Lady of the Camellias" pas de deux--apparently it was so good, it didn't seem like a rehearsal and the staff started clapping at the end without thinking. They also say that Julie Kent answered all their questions and they were quite taken by her kind manner.

There was also some fan event with Angel Corella. One thing of note that he said is that when he danced Basilio in 2005, he danced it like a boy, and now he wants to show a more grown-up Basilio. He also said that Daniil Simkin will show us a boyish Basilio.

Many thanks Batsuchan for the translation, and confirming that whatever version of "Google Translate" I am using actually works quite well! (Though it took me 3 tries to get it to work, since it kept doing a simultaneous translate of the link into English without actually opening the page. Consequently, I had to open the link from the kanji version, and then do a translate. Good thing my aging brain remembered some kanji.) But enough of that...What about the performances?

The dancers did have kind words and it looks like they're enjoying themselves in Japan!

Here are more pictures from the press conference:

http://www.asahi.com/showbiz/gallery/110721abt/

And here are some mini-translations of the updates on the Japan arts blog.

http://ja-ballet.seesaa.net/category/9459798-1.html

Today’s post shows some pictures from the special “Don Quixote” performance with three sets of leads.

The post below that shows pictures from the rehearsal before the show. They say that Simkin and Kajiya had big smiles and were full of facial expression, and that Simkin had amazing jumps. In the second act, Corella and Reyes showed off their solid technique. Reyes’ smile was very cute, and Corella’s comical performance was noteworthy. They say to watch for Murphy’s high-speed fouettes.

And the post below that shows pictures from the post-gala party. Gillian Murphy came in her costume. (They say she’s always cute.) In the lobby they had a signing event—how come we don’t get events like that in NYC?? Corella had to leave early, so he walked along the line and made sure everyone got a signature. How sweet!

A Japanese audience sitting next to me at the Met told me tickets for the ABT Japan tours had been sold out well in advance, and that ballet has a huge following in Japan, whenever there's a big name company touring Japan, it's all sold out.

Here's a TV promo spot:

Hi I'm in Japan.

We Japanese really appreciate that ABT with full company has come to Japan in this tough situation.

Thanks so much!

I've enjoyed every show I saw so far.

As they mentioned,art gives us a lot of energy to heal from the tragedy.

Here's links of the press conference movie.

You don't need to translate...at least each dancer's own words.

(divided into 2 parts)

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/16122204

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/16122459

Another news is Marcelo Gomes replaced and is replacing Angel Corella in full DonQ on matinee 24th and in closing night gala's Tchaikovsky PDD though Angel appeared and danced in Opening night gala and following special DonQ Act 2.

Hi I'm in Japan.

We Japanese really appreciate that ABT with full company has come to Japan in this tough situation.

Thanks so much!

I've enjoyed every show I saw so far.

As they mentioned,art gives us a lot of energy to heal from the tragedy.

Here's links of the press conference movie.

You don't need to translate...at least each dancer's own words.

(divided into 2 parts)

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/16122204

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/16122459

Another news is Marcelo Gomes replaced and is replacing Angel Corella in full DonQ on matinee 24th and in closing night gala's Tchaikovsky PDD though Angel appeared and danced in Opening night gala and following special DonQ Act 2.

Thank you for sharing these videos.

Angel Corella could not perform due to injury. He wrote a very nice letter of apology to the audiences (and people of Japan) that was posted here:

The Japanese translation is at the top, and Angel's hand-written message is at the bottom.

http://ja-ballet.seesaa.net/article/216832803.html

As always, I hope I posted this link correctly. Meanwhile, Corella Ballet will be performing this week in La Granja de San Ildefonso (near Segovia), where I believe Angel and Carmen were to perform "Solea". My best to them both, and of course the Company.