This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

this footage is marketed on a dvd called NEW YEAR'S EVE IN ST. PETERSBURG, available from Amazon, which shows two other releases with similar titles - tho' to the best of my knowledge the other two are concert music, and don't involved the Maryinsky Ballet.

on a related, released disc, SACRED STAGE, one can see other excerpts from the new/old SLEEPING BEAUTY.

This was shown as live streaming video last December 31 on the French web site: http://www.arte.tv/fr/70.html

I don't read French and they don't have an English/translation site, so I haven't had much luck figuring out what else they are showing and whether some of those live webcasts are archived somewhere on the site. If others have success at this, please give us some guidance on what else you found on the site.

Ah...I noticed that Desire is not wearing his curled wig for the last act...(somewhere along the pages on the book written on the reconstruction I read that this wig had been a not too desirable item for the male dancer during the first performances of this staging...)

P.S I loved the wolf toasting with Lilac...! :clapping:

It has been a long time for me but I believe Desire is Andrian Fadeyev, Aurora may be Yekaterina Osmolkina and Cinderella is Polina Rassadina. They are the ones I thought I could pick out.

As you can see it took me a while to get through the dvd and write. Please excuse my post after rg's. I did not see his post. :blushing:

Edited by vrsfanatic

Ah...I noticed that Desire is not wearing his curled wig for the last act...(somewhere along the pages on the book written on the reconstruction I read that this wig had been a not too desirable item for the male dancer during the first performances of this staging...)

P.S I loved the wolf toasting with Lilac...! :clapping:

I thought the wig was always removed with the costume change between their elaborate, non-dancing, entrance costumes, and the PDD? I know, from photographs, that this often *did* happen in other ballets of the time, and was just one of those things you were meant to accept. That (excellent) DVD opens with the Kiss Scene from the end of Act II and I believe he has the wig, at least, in that brief bit.