This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Wish List for Next Spring-Summer SeasonWhich dancers we'd love to see in which ballets in2012

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:25 AM

Speaking of Balanchine...

I completely understand the idea of NOT wanting to see ABT become the second version of NYCB, but I think there's enough ballets in Balanchine's canon in which ABT can borrow from it without the chance of ABT transforming themselves in a second version of Balanchine's company. Select correctly, Balanchine's ballets could be extremely beneficial as well as challenging for the dancers as well as the audience who get to see Balanchine perform in a different house, with a different sensibility at approaching his work. I would love to see ABT take on the huge challenge at performing Balanchine's [size="3"]Liebeslieder Walzer.

[size="2"]The first time I saw that ballet I wasn't impress. In fact I was bored. But on second veiwing, I totally fell in love with it and have been every since. And from that moment on I couldn't help but wonder how the dancers of ABT would perform this exquisite ballet? ABT could invite Karin von Aroldington to stage it and work with the dancers and just thinking on who the eight dancers could possibly be is actually endless.

David Hallberg, Maxim Beloserkovsky, Marcelo Gomes, Jared Matthews would be wonderful - I think - as the gentlemen. Julie Kent, Irina Dvorovenko, Diana Vishneva {guest}, Alina Cojocaru {guest} would be enchanting as the ladies. Not to mention all the wonderful female soloists: Stella Abrera, Isabella Boylston, Maria Riccetto, Yuriko Kajiya who could possibility dance the roles. As I said just thinking on the casting itself is endless.
[/size]
[/size]

Totally agree that the Balanchine canon is so large and varied as to not seem repetitive to NYCB and yet still give ABT dancers an opportunity to dance a bit of Mr. B's exciting works. " Liebeslieder Waltzer" would be wonderful!!! I'd also vote for "La Sonnambula" (which I believe ABT has done in the past). What about "Danses Concertante"? Or if there's anyone still alive and around who remembers "The Card Game" . What about "Ballet Imperial"? Just a few thoughts

#62 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:34 AM

I completely understand the idea of NOT wanting to see ABT become the second version of NYCB, but I think there's enough ballets in Balanchine's canon in which ABT can borrow from it without the chance of ABT transforming themselves in a second version of Balanchine's company. Select correctly, Balanchine's ballets could be extremely beneficial as well as challenging for the dancers as well as the audience who get to see Balanchine perform in a different house, with a different sensibility at approaching his work.

If I may go slightly off topic for a moment, the Balanchine ballet I'd like to see ABT do - not at the big Met, but at City Center where it was first performed - is Orpheus. I've only seen it once, at the State Theater where the stage is said to be too large for it. ABT certainly has the personalities for it.

#63 Balanchinomane

Balanchinomane

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 10:23 AM

I wish they would perform the entire Tchaikovsky Suite 3 - the 1st 3 movements are a lovely
progression to T&V. It would add about 20 minutes and 3 more principal couples.
What about Robbin's In the Night - think of the casting possibilities.

In addition to the Tudor works, NY Theatre Ballet also performs Agnes de Mille, also neglected
in recent years. Remember The Informer with Victor Barbee and Kathleen Moore? Maybe the
powers that be don't think today's audience is interested in historical themes. ABT has a
rich heritage of one act ballets that could be enjoyed and appreciated today alongside
the swans, shades, and wilis.

My fantasy wish for full lengths are Farrell Ballet's DonQ, Wheeldon's Alice, and
POB's La Petite Danseuse. Dream casting would include Hallberg and Sara Mearns in Swan Lake.
I'm suffering from withdrawal already.

#64 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:00 AM

Does no one want to see Wheeldon's Alice or are we just hoping Royal Ballet or Canada tours it?

#65 annamicro

annamicro

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:19 AM

Does no one want to see Wheeldon's Alice or are we just hoping Royal Ballet or Canada tours it?

I've seen it in London twice and I'm not willing to see it again. It was badly recieved by British critics and by large part of the audience, and with plenty of reasons in my opinion.
An incredibly expensive show with a poor choreography: I hope ABT is looking for something better if they want to add something to its repertoire.
It could be good for Broadway though.

#66 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:17 AM

If I may go slightly off topic for a moment, the Balanchine ballet I'd like to see ABT do - not at the big Met, but at City Center where it was first performed - is Orpheus. I've only seen it once, at the State Theater where the stage is said to be too large for it. ABT certainly has the personalities for it.

I haven't joined the nostalgia trip. but this one wakes me up....a perfect fit for the city center. :thumbsup:

#67 macnellie

macnellie

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:18 AM

i would love to see symphony concertante Bal/Mozart-- I saw Hamel and Gregory : viola and violin--so many wonderful dancers to dance it now. why doesn't NYCB do it anymore? Anyone know?

#68 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:31 AM

i would love to see symphony concertante Bal/Mozart-- I saw Hamel and Gregory : viola and violin--so many wonderful dancers to dance it now. why doesn't NYCB do it anymore? Anyone know?

Don't really know but suspect it is a matter of just only so much time available. A lot of time that would have gone to Balanchine is diverted to newer works. In theory, I agree with this but in practice it means that a lot of time and money (both finite resources) go to such junk as the Martin and Millepied pieces.

This to me is the real downer of the Martins era at NYCB. so much time and money is spent putting on material that just doesn't merit the effort. But who is going to tell MArtins that he can't "create" (ha!) at least one "new" ballet each season?
And this could conceivably go on for another twenty years, a depressing thought.

#69 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:44 AM

Don't really know but suspect it is a matter of just only so much time available. A lot of time that would have gone to Balanchine is diverted to newer works. In theory, I agree with this but in practice it means that a lot of time and money (both finite resources) go to such junk as the Martin and Millepied pieces.

I don't remember Symphonie Concertante having been done at NYCB for some years before Balanchine's death...certainly if it was done, it was not done at all frequently.

#70 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:28 PM

I don't remember Symphonie Concertante having been done at NYCB for some years before Balanchine's death...certainly if it was done, it was not done at all frequently.

They danced it during the Balanchine Celebration in 1993, although the dancers were all SAB students.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):