This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Polite wouldn't be my word - lagging tempos and a big misunderstanding of the choreography, would be more of my description.

I wish the world could see Daniel Ulbricht do it with either Tiler Peck or Ashley Bouder!

when asking permission once for a performance of tarantella, i recall being told that patricia mcbride had especially said not to look at the performance from the white house -- considering the restrictions on space, although it's still interesting, it's not a good performance either, at least not representative properly.

The Trust would have a field day if they went through the channel Ulbricht's video is on (highly recommended to everyone btw), but I don't think they can do anything about the foreign incarnations of youtube :FIREdevil: .

Thank you all!

Polite wouldn't be my word - lagging tempos and a big misunderstanding of the choreography, would be more of my description.

Slower, absolutely, and much of the choreographic detail has been smoothed out or glossed over, but the tempo makes it possible to see some interesting choices in accent and emphasis. Some of the contrast (sustained v quick) is really compelling here.

I understand the Trust's need to protect the copyright, but this kind of side by side viewing is so very interesting, and lets the general audience really see what's going on in a work -- I wish there was a way to do this without all the legal handwringing.

when asking permission once for a performance of tarantella, i recall being told that patricia mcbride had especially said not to look at the performance from the white house...

I can certainly understand why, but it's a fascinating example of what happens when you take all the energy that you use travelling out and condense it into a smaller space.

(my favorite part is the slightly lower than comfortable camera angle for several shots, that make it seem like we're looking up past their heads to the chandeliers -- I kept waiting for someone to hit one with their tambourine)

when asking permission once for a performance of tarantella, i recall being told that patricia mcbride had especially said not to look at the performance from the white house -- considering the restrictions on space, although it's still interesting, it's not a good performance either, at least not representative properly.

Understandable and yet it's still beautiful! And it's not like there are so many that are available to us. In fact, are there ANY that are commercially available?

-goro-

[ understand the Trust's need to protect the copyright, but this kind of side by side viewing is so very interesting, and lets the general audience really see what's going on in a work.

:thumbsup:

I also appreciate your point that the slowness of the Mariinsky version allows one to see some of the contrasts more clearly. As someone with an untrained eye, I would go even further. I actually found myself looking at that Mariinsky video closely than at the other three, partly because I could see and follow what was going on. Fast tempo is more exciting of course. But sometimes I find that performances like McBride/Baryshnikov or Ulbricht/Cheprasova the movement rushes by so quickly that, before mi brain actually registers something, the dancers have moved on.

There's a recklessness with McBride and Baryshnikov that I love. They seem to be dancing on the furthest edge of what is possible.