ABT's Male Principal ProblemPoll

• Please log in to reply
273 replies to this topic

Poll: Promote From Within or Go On a Spending Spree? (61 member(s) have cast votes)

To solve its looming shortage of male principals, should ABT:

1. Promote from within to fill the ranks (36 votes [59.02%])

Percentage of vote: 59.02%

2. Go out into the free market and hire male principals from outside the company (25 votes [40.98%])

Percentage of vote: 40.98%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#271 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:30 AM

Marcelo is once again increasing his workload to fill in for injured/absent dancers (Today's matinee of Corsaire, the Hee Seo SL). Ironic that Matvienko was supposed to fill the gap for Hallberg's cancellations, but now Matvienko is MIA.

Agree about Gorak. Would like to see more of him. Have not made up my mind about Forster.

#272 Josette

Josette

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:08 AM

I remember the first time i saw Thomas Forster, when he first joined ABT: he did a saute (sorry, no accent on the e) in arabesque from the upstage left wing onto the stage in The Sleeping Beauty vision scene; and I have been following him ever since. He is a wonderful, well-trained dancer, excellent partner, always fully invested in what he is doing, is natural on stage, and is tall and has beautiful feet. I have been waiting for years to see him given the opportunities his talent and work merits.

#273 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

One person they seem to give some good roles to is Eric Tamm. When I first saw him as a last minute fill in a few years ago for David Hallberg (in Theme and Variations?) I was not impressed. However, he looked much better this season as a lead in Symphony in C in the first movement. I think the next male who will be in line for a promotion to principal is James Whiteside. He's carrying a large load of principal assignments this season. They are testing him to see how he does. He's done very well in the roles I've seen him in.

#274 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

Praise for Joseph Gorak:

http://online.wsj.co...2589331648.html

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]First came a marvelous program that opened with a recent restaging of Mark Morris's "Drink to Me Only With Thine Eyes" (1988). A witty and rich excursion for 12 dancers to Virgil Thomson piano études, it looked splendid on the expansive Met stage where sterling [/size][/font]corps de ballet[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4] dancer Joseph Gorak shone.[/size][/font]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):