This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

ABT's Male Principal ProblemPoll

• Please log in to reply
350 replies to this topic

Poll: Promote From Within or Go On a Spending Spree? (73 member(s) have cast votes)

To solve its looming shortage of male principals, should ABT:

1. Promote from within to fill the ranks (45 votes [61.64%])

Percentage of vote: 61.64%

2. Go out into the free market and hire male principals from outside the company (28 votes [38.36%])

Percentage of vote: 38.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#241 Batsuchan

Batsuchan

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

James Whiteside from the Boston Ballet will be joining ABT as a soloist.

The source is here:
http://www.dancetabs...quixote-boston/

...itís with some sadness that I report Whiteside will leave at the end of this season for an appointment with American Ballet Theater.

I don't know anything about this dancer, so I'm not sure what this neans for future promotions or casting...

#242 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:13 AM

The original source is here:
http://www.dancetabs...quixote-boston/

...it’s with some sadness that I report Whiteside will leave at the end of this season for an appointment with American Ballet Theater.

Interesting! I don't think any of us were expecting that.

#243 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:33 AM

Do you think he'll enter as principal, as he is at Boston Ballet? Wonder when the announcement will be made. Look forward to hearing from posters here that have seen him dance.

#244 Batsuchan

Batsuchan

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

Do you think he'll enter as principal, as he is at Boston Ballet? Wonder when the announcement will be made. Look forward to hearing from posters here that have seen him dance.

Somehow I mangled my earlier post but I've fixed it now. He will be joining as a soloist, but presumably he will do some leading roles...?

#245 GeorgeB fan

GeorgeB fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

Here's a video of James Whiteside from the Boston Ballet YT page

Here he's dancing the second act Pas de duex from Giselle with Boston Ballet's Misa Kuranaga. He has to be well-trained and rehearsed but I do see potential.

#246 Plisskin

Plisskin

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

No offense to Whiteside, but their are ABT corp members whom are just as good or better. McKenzie could have easily promoted (from within) one of them instead of, yet again, outsourcing for another dancer. ABT needs a new AD...

#247 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

No offense to Whiteside, but their are ABT corp members whom are just as good or better. McKenzie could have easily promoted (from within) one of them instead of, yet again, outsourcing for another dancer. ABT needs a new AD...

So agree. What about Joseph Gorak?

#248 Batsuchan

Batsuchan

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

YES, YES, YES!!! Every time Gorak is onstage, I always end up watching him. So effortless and elegant!

During the R&J dress rehearsal where Gorak was Benvolio, I kept wishing he were Romeo instead of Hammoudi... Posted Image

#249 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:38 AM

Yes to Jos. Korak. And I'd like to see them push Tom Forester more. Also Gray Davis and Eric Tamm. I worry that dancers like DeLong and Hoven will surely be over looked, as will the shorter men, Aaron Scott, Jos. Phillips, Luis Ribgorda and Mikhail Ilyin. And what about Roman Zhurbin? Has he been relegated to only doing the character roles? What a shame, as he's a really nice dancer. Sorry to stress. ABT withdrawal does that to me!

#250 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:36 AM

YES, YES, YES!!! Every time Gorak is onstage, I always end up watching him. So effortless and elegant!

During the R&J dress rehearsal where Gorak was Benvolio, I kept wishing he were Romeo instead of Hammoudi... Posted Image

I second, third, fourth and fifth the rise of Joseph Gorak. I thought he was WONDERFUL as Lensky in Onegin. Also as the Nutcracker Prince last December.

#251 Classic_Ballet

Classic_Ballet

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

To me Gorak was THE revelation of the season. I think he is the only clear and obvious principal material in the company as of today.Since he is very young, maybe abt just want to wait another year before promoting him, and work in his development in the meantime. It is good though that they are giving him many important roles and hopefully that will keep coming. It shows that management does have an eye on him. A.M. singled him out in his review of the season in the ny times, for a member of the corps that is pretty big.

The Whiteside case is in my opinion a matter of size and urge for partners for the tall ballerinas, I dont think the tall and talented members of abt corps are as ready as he is to take on that task. I saw him only once, and I dont think is a bad idea at all, neither has to interfere with the development/promotion of inside members, as long as they are ready for it. I was surprised by Hammoudi's promotion, for example, he has a lot, lot work to do to justify his rank in the company today.

#252 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

I'd also like to see Roddy Doble given chances at a few more things. How about purple Rothbart? Or a Hilarion?

#253 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

Oh yes, to Roddy Doble being given more. I find him ever interesting on stage. And he's tall!

#254 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

The Whiteside case is in my opinion a matter of size and urge for partners for the tall ballerinas, I dont think the tall and talented members of abt corps are as ready as he is to take on that task. I saw him only once, and I dont think is a bad idea at all, neither has to interfere with the development/promotion of inside members, as long as they are ready for it. I was surprised by Hammoudi's promotion, for example, he has a lot, lot work to do to justify his rank in the company today.

How tall is Whiteside?

#255 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

did any of you watch the BB youtube piece on Mr. Whiteside? He states he attend the ABT summer program for 2 years in a row, before moving on to other programs. So I think he was a known quantity to ABT. How is that any different than any of the corpsmen at ABT? I'm not sure. But I'd have to see him perform on stage (not just youtube) to have a better idea of his qualities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):