This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

DVD of Markova 'Sylphides' and Nerina 'Giselle'

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:24 AM

I didn't see this posted yet on Ballet Alert, although it's on other fora. This is a truly extraordinary DVD. Nadia Nerina's Giselle is a big surprise. Were she dancing in 2011, she could hold her own with her technique.

The other gem on this DVD, imo, is Tamara Karsavina's long speaking and piano-playing introduction to Sylphides (Chopiniana).

http://www.amazon.fr...ef=pd_rhf_p_t_3

#2 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:25 AM

I didn't see this posted yet on Ballet Alert, although it's on other fora. This is a truly extraordinary DVD. Nadia Nerina's Giselle is a big surprise. Were she dancing in 2011, she could hold her own with her technique.

The other gem on this DVD, imo, is Tamara Karsavina's long speaking and piano-playing introduction to Sylphides (Chopiniana).

http://www.amazon.fr...ef=pd_rhf_p_t_3

p.s. I got mine from French Amazon although it might be available through other European sites.

#3 liebs

liebs

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:41 AM

I saw Nerina's Giselle at the Royal when I was a young girl - a wonderful dancer.

#4 Cliff

Cliff

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:29 PM

It is almost available at Amazon.com, Sylphides / Giselle

#5 Marcmomus

Marcmomus

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:29 AM

Thank you for alerting us to this DVD. I have watched it three times since it arrived the other day. The dancing is of a high order, and I am fascinated by Karsavina's introduction.

#6 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:40 AM

Thanks, natalia! This looks like a real find. (Let's all remember to use the ad at the top of the page when we order, so BA! gets a couple cents from Amazon each time. That doesn't cost us anything more. For example, enter "Sylphides/Giselle" in the search box.)

#7 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:02 AM

The same company now shows, under 'coming soon', a Cranko double bill on DVD:

The Lady and the Fool with Svetlana Beriosova

and

Pineapple Poll with Merle Park, David Blair and Stanley Holden

I really hope these sell well enough to encourage them to keep doing it...

#8 liebs

liebs

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:00 PM

Takes me back. On the same trip to London where I saw Nerina's Giselle, we saw a program with those two ballets on it. There was probably a third piece - I think Rake's Progress. Years later, the Joffrey did Pinapple Poll but does any one dance Lady and the Fool?

#9 canbelto

canbelto

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:35 PM

I bought the DVD and watched it last night. I was surprised at some of the musical rearrangements in Les Sylphides. Always a pleasure to see Beriosova and Markova in anything.

The Nerina/Fadeyechev Giselle was the real surprise. Myrtha's part is butchered, but most of Giselle's dances are intact, which is more than I can say of the famous 1956 Czinner film with Ulanova. Nerina is a very strong dancer with great technique -- secure balances, lightning fast turns, just lacking that last bit of ethereal mystery. Biggest surprise is Fadeyechev -- dumpy toupee and incomplete turnout aside, his technique would also hold up today. Before Mikhail Baryshnikov wowed people with the traveling diagonal brises Fadeyechev was adding a turn in the air in the middle of the brises. I was also surprised to see the Soviet-style overhead lifts.

#10 innopac

innopac

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:40 PM

The same company now shows, under 'coming soon', a Cranko double bill on DVD:
The Lady and the Fool with Svetlana Beriosova and Pineapple Poll with Merle Park, David Blair and Stanley Holden

Thanks so much for the heads up. I have always wanted to see a ballet of Cranko's. :thanks:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):