This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

DVD of Markova 'Sylphides' and Nerina 'Giselle'

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:24 AM

I didn't see this posted yet on Ballet Alert, although it's on other fora. This is a truly extraordinary DVD. Nadia Nerina's Giselle is a big surprise. Were she dancing in 2011, she could hold her own with her technique.

The other gem on this DVD, imo, is Tamara Karsavina's long speaking and piano-playing introduction to Sylphides (Chopiniana).

http://www.amazon.fr...ef=pd_rhf_p_t_3

#2 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:25 AM

I didn't see this posted yet on Ballet Alert, although it's on other fora. This is a truly extraordinary DVD. Nadia Nerina's Giselle is a big surprise. Were she dancing in 2011, she could hold her own with her technique.

The other gem on this DVD, imo, is Tamara Karsavina's long speaking and piano-playing introduction to Sylphides (Chopiniana).

http://www.amazon.fr...ef=pd_rhf_p_t_3

p.s. I got mine from French Amazon although it might be available through other European sites.

#3 liebs

liebs

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:41 AM

I saw Nerina's Giselle at the Royal when I was a young girl - a wonderful dancer.

#4 Cliff

Cliff

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:29 PM

It is almost available at Amazon.com, Sylphides / Giselle

#5 Marcmomus

Marcmomus

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:29 AM

Thank you for alerting us to this DVD. I have watched it three times since it arrived the other day. The dancing is of a high order, and I am fascinated by Karsavina's introduction.

#6 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:40 AM

Thanks, natalia! This looks like a real find. (Let's all remember to use the ad at the top of the page when we order, so BA! gets a couple cents from Amazon each time. That doesn't cost us anything more. For example, enter "Sylphides/Giselle" in the search box.)

#7 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:02 AM

The same company now shows, under 'coming soon', a Cranko double bill on DVD:

The Lady and the Fool with Svetlana Beriosova

and

Pineapple Poll with Merle Park, David Blair and Stanley Holden

I really hope these sell well enough to encourage them to keep doing it...

#8 liebs

liebs

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:00 PM

Takes me back. On the same trip to London where I saw Nerina's Giselle, we saw a program with those two ballets on it. There was probably a third piece - I think Rake's Progress. Years later, the Joffrey did Pinapple Poll but does any one dance Lady and the Fool?

#9 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:35 PM

I bought the DVD and watched it last night. I was surprised at some of the musical rearrangements in Les Sylphides. Always a pleasure to see Beriosova and Markova in anything.

The Nerina/Fadeyechev Giselle was the real surprise. Myrtha's part is butchered, but most of Giselle's dances are intact, which is more than I can say of the famous 1956 Czinner film with Ulanova. Nerina is a very strong dancer with great technique -- secure balances, lightning fast turns, just lacking that last bit of ethereal mystery. Biggest surprise is Fadeyechev -- dumpy toupee and incomplete turnout aside, his technique would also hold up today. Before Mikhail Baryshnikov wowed people with the traveling diagonal brises Fadeyechev was adding a turn in the air in the middle of the brises. I was also surprised to see the Soviet-style overhead lifts.

#10 innopac

innopac

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:40 PM

The same company now shows, under 'coming soon', a Cranko double bill on DVD:
The Lady and the Fool with Svetlana Beriosova and Pineapple Poll with Merle Park, David Blair and Stanley Holden

Thanks so much for the heads up. I have always wanted to see a ballet of Cranko's. :thanks:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):