This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT at the Met 2011 - Sleeping Beauty

I don't see why it should defy belief that someone who has traveled for years could one day lose their passport. It can happen to anyone, and it's always unfortunate. Careless, she may be, but I just don't think that an artist of such caliber would risk her reputation with audiences and company management by willfully skipping out on a Met engagement.

I also don't think that it should defy belief that someone might lose/accidentally leave behind a briefcase or purse or had a purse stolen, traveling or not traveling.

I traveled extensively for work, and I once lost a watch on the way to the airport, left my cell phone on the bed in my hotel room in Paris, and dropped my Nano somewhere on the flight from Denver to Seattle, all in the same trip. I think Osipova has far more on her mind than I did during that trip.

And Yo Yo Ma famously left his $$$$$$$ cello in the trunk of a taxi.

Of course, we only know there were passport problems, which could be a lot of things.

Re passport issues, these things happen, even among the most seasoned travelers. My daughter has danced professionally for 8 years with a touring company whose agent is responsible for their passports. Glitches sometimes occur. Daughter verified this too when she worked for a company that expedites passports and visas. Also, my whole family lost our passports several years back while going through Customs upon our return to USA from Ireland. I'm convinced that they were stolen right there since all 4 passports were together at the time and never seen again. We weren't careless, yet our passports were lost by the time we arrived at our car at the airport.

I've met a tremendous number of foreigners who have expressed to me their passionate frustration when dealing with US Customs on visa issues - both for business and play. So much so that they prefer traveling to Europe instead of the US. This is a huge loss for the US economy, hundreds of millions of tourist dollars lost to an unfriendly agency that is not held accountable by US voters. Because we don't deal with them as foreigners, we have no idea how difficult it has become to travel into the US. You have to apply for your visa at least 6 months in advance from many nations, and meet for an interview in person at a US Consolate office at their convenience. For people who travel often (such as Osipova) this can be very difficult. In addition, they can demand additional documents, which the state department inconveniently loses track of.

There must be some other, efficient and friendly manner to run this department, and still keep out the terrorists.

I did not see Reyes' Aurora this season, but I remember thoroughly enjoying her in the role. She seems to have an innate sense of musicality that elevates her dancing to another level.

I wish I could describe this better. I remember her dancing in Kudulka's Désir had a such a level of musicality that it was a completely different piece than when others danced the same part--one performance seemed like an incredible feat of athleticism while Reyes' was a work of art.

As much as I love Veronika Part's dancing, I have to admit that Zina's opening dance in The Bright Stream (holding the book) didn't make much sense to me when I saw her dance it. It was only when I saw Xiomara dance it at a later performance that I really got how the music and the steps were meant to go together. Someone mentioned above that they never seek out her performances but are always pleasantly surprised; that's been my experience several times this season.

I did not see Reyes' Aurora this season, but I remember thoroughly enjoying her in the role. She seems to have an innate sense of musicality that elevates her dancing to another level.

I wish I could describe this better. I remember her dancing in Kudulka's Désir had a such a level of musicality that it was a completely different piece than when others danced the same part--one performance seemed like an incredible feat of athleticism while Reyes' was a work of art.

As much as I love Veronika Part's dancing, I have to admit that Zina's opening dance in The Bright Stream (holding the book) didn't make much sense to me when I saw her dance it. It was only when I saw Xiomara dance it at a later performance that I really got how the music and the steps were meant to go together. Someone mentioned above that they never seek out her performances but are always pleasantly surprised; that's been my experience several times this season.

I'm glad to hear that others appreciate her too. I always look forward to seeing her dance and wanted to see her this season, but I could not renew my subscriptions this season for financial reasons, so I only saw three performances. :(