This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT at the Met 2011 - Sleeping Beauty

I just noticed that ABT is including Lilac Fairy and Caraboose in their casting for Sleeping Beauty on the ABT website. I wish they'd include Blue Bird Pas.

I'm a little disappointed that I'm getting Riccetto as Lilac. I would have preferred Abrera. Oh well! I just don't get why Riccetto gets cast in so much.

On a slightly related note - the best Lilac fairy I've seen live was Sara Mearns in that other company. There is a great youtube vid of marianela nunez doing Lilac variation.

Oh I absolutely agree about Abrera in Lilac Fairy! I had never even heard her name the first time I saw her dance that role. At intermission I raced up to the Grand Tier and bought a pair of her autographed pointe shoes, telling my husband, "She's going to be a principal next year." Sure enough, the next year she was scheduled to dance her first Giselle on the Wednesday matinee, suggesting that she was being viewed as principal potential. Then she got injured, alas. Thankfully, she is back. The role of Lilac Fairy is essential to this ballet and I'm going to check out the web site for the casting as soon as I send this post. Thanks for letting us know.

Saviliev is replacing Max B. in SB on Thurs, July 7.

Gomes is now replacing Saviliev in this chain of replacements. Looks like whatever happened to him as the Purple Pimp was serious enough.

I'm a little surprised at Seo being given Lilac Fairy...doesn't seem like her type of role at all.

I'm a little surprised at Seo being given Lilac Fairy...doesn't seem like her type of role at all.

Wiles used to do at least 2 Lilacs. Now that she has apparently left the company (see thread on Swan Lake), they need someone new to fill in as Lilac.

Wiles used to do at least 2 Lilacs. Now that she has apparently left the company (see thread on Swan Lake), they need someone new to fill in as Lilac.

Yes, I get that's why she's being put in, but Messmer or even Copeland, for me, suit the part more temperamentally and could use an opportunity like this. Seo will almost certainly be an Aurora the next time SB gets dragged out.

I'm probably in the minority, but I think the Lilac Fairy might suit Hee Seo. No, she is not an especially grand dancer, but she is a warm one, and I like Lilac Fairys who have that sunny delicacy to their dancing (Marianela Nunez of the Royal is a great example).

Yes, I get that's why she's being put in, but Messmer or even Copeland, for me, suit the part more temperamentally and could use an opportunity like this. Seo will almost certainly be an Aurora the next time SB gets dragged out.

I'm still waiting for Sarah Lane to get another shot at Aurora. Her first was quite good - lovely Rose Adagio.

Hello,

I wish to ask which of the ballerinas you would recommend me seeing in Sleeping Beauty? I'm contemplating between Alina Cojocaru and Gillian Murphy, I have seen neither of them live yet.

Thank You!

From the company:

CAST CHANGE FOR WEDNESDAY EVENING, JULY 6, 2011

American Ballet Theatre Guest Artists Alina Cojocaru and Johan Kobborg will dance the lead roles of Princess Aurora and Prince Désiré in The Sleeping Beauty on Wednesday evening, July 6, it was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie. Cojocaru and Kobborg replace Guest Artist Natalia Osipova and ABT Principal Dancer David Hallberg, who were previously scheduled to dance the roles.

Alina Cojocaru, a principal dancer with The Royal Ballet in London, first appeared with American Ballet Theatre as a Guest Artist in 2003. Johan Kobborg, who is also a principal dancer with The Royal Ballet, made his debut with ABT this season as a Guest Artist in the role of Albrecht in Giselle. Cojocaru and Kobborg are scheduled to reprise their roles in The Sleeping Beauty on Friday evening, July 8.

American Ballet Theatre’s performances at The Metropolitan Opera House continue through July 9, 2011. For more information, please visit www.abt.org.

I am coming up to NY for Sleeping Beauty and have tickets for both of these performances. I know "casts are subject to change," but it is terribly disappointing, especially as I see so little ballet these days and seeing Osipova has been one of my greatest ballet joys (indeed life joys) these last couple of years. I was even eager to see her take on a role I know is one she is still developing. (I also know Cojocaru is a very fine Aurora--I have seen her in the role with the Royal and am looking forward greatly to seeing her again; but I confess I am still very, very disappointed.)

As far as I know, Osipova is currently in London rehearsing Romeo & Juliet with Vasilyev there. But many people bought their tickets specifically to see her and therefore will be terribly disappointed. It's surely even more upsetting for those who have purchased tickets to Cojocaru/Kobborg Friday performance, too.

As far as I know, Osipova is currently in London rehearsing Romeo & Juliet with Vasilyev there. But many people bought their tickets specifically to see her and therefore will be terribly disappointed. It's surely even more upsetting for those who have purchased tickets to Cojocaru/Kobborg Friday performance, too.

It seems like ABT did the best they could minus bringing in another Aurora or couple from the outside. I think a lot of ticket holders for Osipova would have been even more upset if they got an "in house" Aurora. This somewhat ties into the discussion about ABT and the state of male dancing - promoting from within vs getting stars.

Once I heard Halberg was injured I was worried Osipova might pull out. I know others, including Semionova just recently, have gone on at the last minute with new partners, but this is not a role Osipova has danced much--only once to my knowledge and that time with Halberg--and, as already noted, she is preparing her debut in Ashton's Romeo and Juliet for next week in London. I don't blame her, though I could very much wish she had felt able to decide otherwise. (And her schedule often does seem decidedly ultra packed.)

I do think Cojocaru is a good choice as replacement--one of the best Aurora's in the world I should think and a dancer of comparable or indeed greater fame--though many of us with tickets for both performances might not necessarily have chosen to see her twice in the role in one week (at least not given the ticket prices--and, for some of us, hotel room prices).

I have a very odd story to report from tonight's performance. After a very solid Rose Adagio by Veronika, a man walked briskly down the left orchestra aisle carrying a bouquet of red roses and shouting "brava!" He was stopped about ten feet from the orchestra pit by an usher, but he clearly wanted to throw the flowers onto the stage. The man became very upset and threw the flowers at the usher's feet. The man then stalked back up the aisle, muttering angrily to audience members around him. The usher picked up the bouquet and followed him out. It was crazy!

More to come on the performance later...

Many of us wanted to see Osipova and instead wound up with two tickets to see Cojocaru and Kobborg. It would be a huge plus for ABT customer relations if they would allow those of us with tickets for both performances to return one for credit to City Center or Nutcracker. Wishful thinking, I know, but what a huge gesture of goodwill towards loyal customers... and giving ABT a reputation as a company that cares about its loyal fans, unlike another nearby company, which will remain nameless.

I have a very odd story to report from tonight's performance. After a very solid Rose Adagio by Veronika, a man walked briskly down the left orchestra aisle carrying a bouquet of red roses and shouting "brava!" He was stopped about ten feet from the orchestra pit by an usher, but he clearly wanted to throw the flowers onto the stage. The man became very upset and threw the flowers at the usher's feet. The man then stalked back up the aisle, muttering angrily to audience members around him. The usher picked up the bouquet and followed him out. It was crazy!

More to come on the performance later...

yes, it was crazy, apparently he started to cry half way through her variation, the emotion started to build up as Part went through the second round of promenades, and it ended just the wait you described

I'm glad the guy Nanushka describes (I was way upstairs) enjoyed the performance. I found it be be pretty lackluster. The season is limping to a close. If I were in charge, I would give Marcelo Gomes a huge huge bonus and a round-trip ticket to Hawaii for everything he has done this season.

i assumed the flower presenter was perhaps Russian, i believe that tossing bouquets mid-performance isn't all that unusual in Russia, in which case the dancer can carry away the tribute when exiting from a bow.

i don't think the individual thought he was doing anything eccentric and was likely taken aback when the usher husseled him away from the stage and back toward his seat.

I wish to ask which of the ballerinas you would recommend me seeing in Sleeping Beauty? I'm contemplating between Alina Cojocaru and Gillian Murphy, I have seen neither of them live yet.

Thank You!

Both ballerinas have solid, dependable techniques. Murphy is a more overtly athletic dancer. Last year, the word that came to my mind to describe Cojocaru's Aurora was "thrilling," not a word often applied to that role. So my recommendation would be for Cojocaru. I'm confident that others will chime in with their preference.

Welcome to BalletTalk, MPH! And whichever you choose, I hope you enjoy it!

Once I heard Halberg was injured I was worried Osipova might pull out. I know others, including Semionova just recently, have gone on at the last minute with new partners, but this is not a role Osipova has danced much--only once to my knowledge and that time with Halberg--and, as already noted, she is preparing her debut in Ashton's Romeo and Juliet for next week in London. I don't blame her, though I could very much wish she had felt able to decide otherwise. (And her schedule often does seem decidedly ultra packed.)

Pulling out because one's partner is injured six days before the performance seems unprofessional to me. It would seem that six days is ample time to rehearse with a new partner. Also, partner injuries happen all the time, and such eventualities need to be part of the planning. Pulling out because one's guesting schedule is ultra packed, is decidedly unprofessional. If you cannot handle the schedule, don't commit to being on two sides of the Atlantic at the same time.

Perhaps in the future ABT should publish other commitments of their guest stars. At least that way we the ticket buyers will be better informed about the odds we are facing.

Pulling out because one's partner is injured six days before the performance seems unprofessional to me. It would seem that six days is ample time to rehearse with a new partner. Also, partner injuries happen all the time, and such eventualities need to be part of the planning. Pulling out because one's guesting schedule is ultra packed, is decidedly unprofessional. If you cannot handle the schedule, don't commit to being on two sides of the Atlantic at the same time.

Perhaps in the future ABT should publish other commitments of their guest stars. At least that way we the ticket buyers will be better informed about the odds we are facing.

I'm guessing she did not have the 6 days time to rehearse with a new partner because of the packed schedule (that is, she was also preparing the R&J), but it's just speculation on my part of course. And one wishes things had been planned differently for sure.