#61 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:33 AM

A little trivia for 'Petipa Era Nerds' -

re. Yuri Burlaka's recon of the Gorsky Little Humpbacked Horse Underwater Scene (as seen in the recent Japanese DVD of the 2011 Vaganova grad): The reason why the 'Water Goddess' character dances 3 solos on the DVD is that Burlaka rearranged the 2nd duo for the Two Corals as a 3rd solo, just for these Vaganova performances. If you check the film of the 2009 Chelyabinsk performances in which Burlaka premiered this reconstruction, the music (an interpolation by Arensky for Gorsky's 1912 version of LHH) is used as a 2nd duet for the two Corals. For whatever reason, Burlaka changed it to a 3rd solo for the Water Goddess in the Vaganova Acad edition (danced by Kaukina in the DVD but premiered by Smirnova).

#62 Tiara

Tiara

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

A little trivia for 'Petipa Era Nerds' -

re. Yuri Burlaka's recon of the Gorsky Little Humpbacked Horse Underwater Scene (as seen in the recent Japanese DVD of the 2011 Vaganova grad): The reason why the 'Water Goddess' character dances 3 solos on the DVD is that Burlaka rearranged the 2nd duo for the Two Corals as a 3rd solo, just for these Vaganova performances. If you check the film of the 2009 Chelyabinsk performances in which Burlaka premiered this reconstruction, the music (an interpolation by Arensky for Gorsky's 1912 version of LHH) is used as a 2nd duet for the two Corals. For whatever reason, Burlaka changed it to a 3rd solo for the Water Goddess in the Vaganova Acad edition (danced by Kaukina in the DVD but premiered by Smirnova).

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]One of the students sent me the official Vaganova filming of all three performances of The Underwater scene and I personally saw the dress rehearsal. Smirnova did not dance the Water Goddess in the dress rehearsal or in any of the performances, although she was scheduled to dance the Goddess in the final performance. With Kristina Shapran's injury preventing Shapran from performing Nikiya in the final performance, Smirnova danced her third Nikiya and never danced Goddess. The premiere was danced by my countrywoman, Isabella McGuire Mayes - Izzie danced the Goddess in both the dress rehearsal and the premiere. Kaukina danced the second and third performances.[/size][/font]

#63 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:48 AM

Interestingly, the supposedly 'injured' Shapran is in the Japanese DVD dancing the modern-classical pdd Intermezzo (to Puccini), with Strelkov. Shapran was spectacular and more-than-OK for that; she didn't look very injured, in other words. She danced on pointe in Intermezzo.

Smirnova is shown as Water Goddess in all of the still photos of the dress rehearsal, as are Strelkov and Shapran in 'Shades.' Maybe the photo sessions happened before the dress rehearsal?

#64 Tiara

Tiara

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

Interestingly, the supposedly 'injured' Shapran is in the Japanese DVD dancing the modern-classical pdd Intermezzo (to Puccini), with Strelkov. Shapran was spectacular and more-than-OK for that; she didn't look very injured, in other words. She danced on pointe in Intermezzo.

Smirnova is shown as Water Goddess in all of the still photos of the dress rehearsal, as are Strelkov and Shapran in 'Shades.' Maybe the photo sessions happened before the dress rehearsal?

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Shapran danced Intermezzo in the first two performances plus Nikiya in the dress rehearsal. Smirnova was going to dance Water Goddess in the 3rd performance, but Shapran's injury was serious enough to prevent her from performing Nikiya in the 3rd performance, resulting in Smirnova being her Nikiya substitute and eliminating Smirnova's debut as Water Goddess. Smirnova must have rehearsed Water Goddess and still photos do not even need rehearsals. Most still photos are not taken before or after a rehearsal, but then maybe Vaganova still photos are different than professional companies. [/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Smirnova might well have had publicity photos taken but this does not mean she performed.[/size][/font]

#65 Tiara

Tiara

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

I saw the 2011 Vaganova performances and I was just wondering where the cameras that filmed it were located? Was one camera used or were there two or maybe three? I only remember seeing one camera in the back centre where people enter the stalls area.[/size][/font][/color]

#66 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

Are there temporary/limited duration contracts at the Mariinsky?

#67 Catherine

Catherine

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

I saw the 2011 Vaganova performances and I was just wondering where the cameras that filmed it were located? Was one camera used or were there two or maybe three? I only remember seeing one camera in the back centre where people enter the stalls area.[/size][/font][/color]

HI Tiara,
I was there too and I don't recall now off hand (for that particular set of performances) if there were cameras or not. If there are, they're only ever where you mentioned, or else ahead of row 13 (exit row) in the orchestra, in that mini aisle before those side doors. Only in rare cases can they film backstage (ie standing in wings) I dont think for graduation perfces....

#68 Catherine

Catherine

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

Are there temporary/limited duration contracts at the Mariinsky?

yes

#69 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:53 AM

Tiara, the Japanese DVD seems to have been filmed w/ 3 cameras. The angle seen most often is, as you note, center-back (cameraman a bit lazy at times, not zooming enough or panning to follow dancer into wings, thus missing important steps, i.e., a series of jumps by the male soloist of Paquita Pas de Trois is missed). Many lovely shots are taken from the Director's Box (just to the right of stage). There also seems to have been a camera a bit higher up in Bel Etage or one tier higher, used for group shots.

#70 Tiara

Tiara

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

Tiara, the Japanese DVD seems to have been filmed w/ 3 cameras. The angle seen most often is, as you note, center-back (cameraman a bit lazy at times, not zooming enough or panning to follow dancer into wings, thus missing important steps, i.e., a series of jumps by the male soloist of Paquita Pas de Trois is missed). Many lovely shots are taken from the Director's Box (just to the right of stage). There also seems to have been a camera a bit higher up in Bel Etage or one tier higher, used for group shots.

OK - thank you, Natalia! Interesting! And, yes, infuriating when the cameraman does not zoom enough - so much gets missed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):