Vaganova Academy Graduation Performances

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#16 Batsuchan

Batsuchan

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:20 PM

Thanks Natalia for all the links, translations, and video clips!!

Smirnova looks very intriguing...but what a trip Asylmuratova is--the loving mother you can never satisfy.

I love it! She reminds me of Tatiana Tarasova (the grand dame of figure skating coaches)--she'll smother you with affection if you do well, but don't you dare make her mad!

I noticed that Olga Smirnova and Sergei Strelkov both were supposed to dance in Diana Vishneva's benefit gala tonight. Is it unusual for recent graduates to participate in galas (especially if they're not going to the Mariinsky, like Smirnova)? Or is it pretty commonplace?

#17 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:29 PM

Wow at the Vaganova Shades! :clapping:

Really? I know they are students but I was astounded at how *UN* synchronized they were. The leader very beautifully and elegantly lifts her leg to arabesque in a continuous movement. Others tendu and lift their leg up at the last possible moment, to I suppose save their strength, and they aren't coordinated at all. Look again and see how few of them are following the first shade or are coordinated with each other...

Individually a lot of them seem to have nice things going for them, but as a synchronized group? I don't see it.

#18 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:46 AM

Thanks Natalia for all the links, translations, and video clips!! ......I noticed that Olga Smirnova and Sergei Strelkov both were supposed to dance in Diana Vishneva's benefit gala tonight. Is it unusual for recent graduates to participate in galas (especially if they're not going to the Mariinsky, like Smirnova)? Or is it pretty commonplace?

Not that usual. Smirnova is quite special. Remember, she (with partner Strelkov) was even invited to perform at the Ulanova Gala in London last month by the organizer, Vladimir Vasiliev! So she's already settling into the "international gala circuit," if you will. I would not be surprised if we see her at next year's Youth America Grand Prix Gala or similar events.

I've corrected the description of up-and-comer Ksenia Shiganshina (to dance Corsaire pdd in Sunday's final graduation concert). Working off my dusty memory yesterday, I had incorrectly described her as having transferred from a private academy in Moscow last year. In fact, she transferred from across town, having already graduated from the private Leonid Yakobson Ballet Academy in St. Petersburg last year but given a chance to 'refine' her style with a year or two of additional studies at the Vaganova. She indeed won the Mikhailovsky Grand-Prix this past November, having bested Daria Bochkova and other 'favorites' from the Bolshoi's academy in that competition.

#19 Angelique

Angelique

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:09 AM

Wow at the Vaganova Shades! :clapping:

Really? I know they are students but I was astounded at how *UN* synchronized they were. The leader very beautifully and elegantly lifts her leg to arabesque in a continuous movement.

The lead is Olga Smirnova, star student of the graduation class. She too made some surprising missteps. Regardless, she moves like a dream, combining gymnastics like arabesques and attitudes (personally I don't have a problem with them) with articulate connecting steps, which remain the soul of Petipa’s ingenious choreography.

As far as the whole ensemble goes, to periphrases Mm. Assylmuratova - “The Shades” deserve better. They do indeed.

#20 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:09 AM

:clapping: Loved Smirnova! Very elegant , perfect lines and quite an unorthodox beauty. Asylmuratova looks like she doesn't want anything but PERFECTION from her kids..!!

#21 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:48 AM

Just posted: Smirnova/Strelkov in Bayadere 'Shades' adagio. Not the most flattering angle (from wings) but you get the idea. A number of other clips from the 2011 graduation performances are found on this channel.

http://www.youtube.c...u/3/3m4XQLYNjK4

#22 Lidewij

Lidewij

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:19 AM

This has just appeared online: Olga Smirnova and Vladislav Makarov in "Thais" and the Ocean & Pearls pas de trois.

I hope this youtube user has some more and will share it with us :)

#23 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:35 AM

Thanks, Lidewij. I second your hope!

The blonde 'pearl' is Arina Varentseva, by the way. She's one of the 'special up-and-comers' about whom I wrote above, although all of the dancers here are wonderful. Arina still has a year or two left at the school.

#24 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:07 AM

More videos are popping up:

#25 Lidewij

Lidewij

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:49 AM

And on this youtube channel there's some more.

#26 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 03:46 PM

Smirnova looks very intriguing...but what a trip Asylmuratova is--the loving mother you can never satisfy.

"Tiger Mother"

#27 valentina11

valentina11

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:24 PM

New names are on the list of the Mariinsky corps de ballet - they include from the Vaganova graduates Irina Tolchilshchikova, Ekaterina Bondarenko, Yulia Kabatova, Elizaveta Kaukina. Galina Rusina and Tatiana Goryushkina new on the reserve list. We knew already that Olga Smirnova goes to Bolchoi but: Kristina Shapran is also not in the Mariinsky, as far as this list says anyway. Neither, for this matter, is Alexandra Somova.

I don't see new names from the men, but I could have just made an oversight.

#28 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:53 AM

Congratulations to the new hires :flowers: ! Vladislav Makarov and Yarolsav Ryzhov were accepted. It's interesting that both Smirnova and Shapran the two strongest females, and the strongest male, Sergei Strelkov, opted out. We'll soon see where Strelkov and Shapran end up.

#29 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,997 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:46 AM

Many thanks, valentina11!

#30 Solnishka79

Solnishka79

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:43 AM

According to the Mikhalovsky Roster, it looks like Sergei Strelkov has joined the company as a second soloist. Nothing about Shapran or even Somova.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):