This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2012 Spring Met Season

I know with the current season just a barely over halfway, I hope it's not too early to start this thread.

Bright Stream will be back, :yahoo:

La Bayadere (no surprise as ABT will be doing it in DC in March, 2012)

Onegin

A mixed program that includes Ratmansky's new Fire Bird

Corsaire

Giselle (I hope ABT will schedule the run early in the season as POB will bring Giselle to NYC in July)

So there are still 2-3 programs to be filled, Swan Lake will almost definitely be back as it's a license to print money. I wonder what ballets ABT will pair with Fire Bird.

P.S. Oh, I almost forgot, Ivan Vasiliev will dance Giselle, Corsaire, Bayadere and mixed program.

Thanks Mussel. A wave of illness has struck my household. As a result, my husband and I missed the Vasiliev Coppelia.(Why couldn't sickness strike the week of Cinderella, which we hate.) Glad to hear Vasiliev may be back. Hopefully Osipova is returning too.

They usually do a MacMillan, so I'm guessing that perhaps Manon might be on for next season.

I know with the current season just a barely over halfway, I hope it's not too early to start this thread.

Bright Stream will be back, :yahoo:

La Bayadere (no surprise as ABT will be doing it in DC in March, 2012)

Onegin

A mixed program that includes Ratmansky's new Fire Bird

Corsaire

Giselle (I hope ABT will schedule the run early in the season as POB will bring Giselle to NYC in July)

So there are still 2-3 programs to be filled, Swan Lake will almost definitely be back as it's a license to print money. I wonder what ballets ABT will pair with Fire Bird.

P.S. Oh, I almost forgot, Ivan Vasiliev will dance Giselle, Corsaire, Bayadere and mixed program.

Is this for real or just a wish list? :unsure:

Bright Stream - it's the hit of the this season so it will be back next season!

La Bayadere - this is the ballet that will probably start out the season.

Romeo & Juliet or Manon - we didn't have a MacMillan this season, so you know we gonna have him next season.

Swan Lake - it's always there.

LeCorsaire - yuck! Just keep the Pas de Deux, its the only real good thing about the ballet, but I will admit that ballet has a number of roles that will give several dancers an opportunity to shine.

Giselle - after Swan Lake it's probably the ballet that brings in the most money.

We probably have an evening of mixed program. Ratmansky's new Firebird along with probably a Balanchine - Theme and Variation or Ballet Imperial, something of Robbins or of Ashton or perhaps of Paul Taylor.

Now if it was solely up to ME the 2012 season would be more like this:

The Bright Stream

La Fille Mal Gardee - could you imagine both Ospiova and Vasiliev dancing together in the lead role of that joyous ballet?? Lise just seem to have been born for Ospiova!

Romeo & Juliet

Giselle

Swan Lake - always have to have the money.

Then I would have three mixed bill programs:

Apollo

Afternoon of a Faun

LeCorsaire Pas de Deux

Ratmansky's Firebird

Les Patineurs

Other Dances

Grand Pas de Deux from Don Quixote

Push Comes To Shove - Vasiliev would be terrific in that ballet...if he was making a return guest appearance with ABT next season that is!

Company B

Bedroom Pas de Deux from Manon

Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux

Etudes

Lots of great ideas.

To GeorgeB fan I don't see Vasiliev, at this point in his development, as a fit for Push Comes to Shove. I've seem Vasiliev twice and both time he was spectacular in the same steps that he inserted into the ballet. I'm not convinced that he is adaptable enough to do Tharp choreography.

Never the less, I'd love to see Push Comes to Shove done again. I'd also love to see Rodeo, Miss Julie, Lilac Garden, Three Virgins and a Devil, Billy the Kid and a lot of other things that had been part of ABTs history.

One more comment - Vasiliev is the great new thing. I loved him in Bright Stream. At the same time he is unfinished and from my small sampling does the same tricks over and over. From past male dancers to compare dancers to I always look up Peter Schaufass on Youtube. Check it out. He is a not often mentioned dancer.

La Fille.... With Vasiliev and Osipova orCornejo/Simkin and Lane/Boylston. That's something to look forward to.

Reyes/Cornejo...oh the pairing could go on and on. The thing that is so frustrating for me is that ABT hasn't performed this Ashton classic sense 2003 I believe. Which I don't understand. The critics loved it. Everytime I went to the Met to see it the house was nearly always full meaning that the public clearly enjoyed it, and you can't help but get the strong sense that dancers adored dancing the ballet. It needs to come back - ASAP.

To GeorgeB fan I don't see Vasiliev, at this point in his development, as a fit for Push Comes to Shove. I've seem Vasiliev twice and both time he was spectacular in the same steps that he inserted into the ballet. I'm not convinced that he is adaptable enough to do Tharp choreography.

vipa - I get what you're saying and I understand it. Vasiliev is an unpolish gem in many ways. But maybe with the proper coaching - from Tharp herself or perhaps even from Baryshnikov, Vasiliev could perhaps pull it off. It certainly would be a challenge for him but I think at this point in his career he needs challenges in order to further develop himself into an even great artist. IMO.

I also love your suggestion for Miss Julie. I've never seen it but I've heard and read enough about it, it would certainly make me run to the theater to see it.

I'm not clear if this is an actual report or a wish list. In any case, I cast my vote for a return of last year's terrific all-Ashton program, especially The Dream.

I think Mussel created this thread asking the posters their own personal opinions at what they believe ABT maybe bringing to the Met during their 2012 season. Nothing has been posted on ABT's website about what ballets they will be performing because I think it's too early for that. I think this thread is merely a fun guessing game for us ballet lovers. I could be wrong...it certainly won't be the first time. LOL.

La Fille.... With Vasiliev and Osipova orCornejo/Simkin and Lane/Boylston. That's something to look forward to.

Reyes/Cornejo...oh the pairing could go on and on. The thing that is so frustrating for me is that ABT hasn't performed this Ashton classic sense 2003 I believe. Which I don't understand. The critics loved it. Everytime I went to the Met to see it the house was nearly always full meaning that the public clearly enjoyed it, and you can't help but get the strong sense that dancers adored dancing the ballet. It needs to come back - ASAP.

vipa - I get what you're saying and I understand it. Vasiliev is an unpolish gem in many ways. But maybe with the proper coaching - from Tharp herself or perhaps even from Baryshnikov, Vasiliev could perhaps pull it off. It certainly would be a challenge for him but I think at this point in his career he needs challenges in order to further develop himself into an even great artist. IMO.

I also love your suggestion for Miss Julie. I've never seen it but I've heard and read enough about it, it would certainly make me run to the theater to see it.

I'm not clear if this is an actual report or a wish list. In any case, I cast my vote for a return of last year's terrific all-Ashton program, especially The Dream.

I think Mussel created this thread asking the posters their own personal opinions at what they believe ABT maybe bringing to the Met during their 2012 season. Nothing has been posted on ABT's website about what ballets they will be performing because I think it's too early for that. I think this thread is merely a fun guessing game for us ballet lovers. I could be wrong...it certainly won't be the first time. LOL.

Here we go again! Vasiliev isn't even a regular at ABT! Even with coaching from either Tharp or Baryishnikov, wouldn't ANYONE want to see perhaps Joseph Phillips or Craig take on the role? Or Aaron Scott? That's a prime example of a ballet that could so easily and successfully be cast from within the company ranks. For me, after seeing all the casts of "Coppelia", my best moments came with Riccetta/Mathews. Wonderful, honest dancing that came across the footlights with flair and fun without all the physical derring do that often seems so false. Especially in these story ballets that rely on mime, staying "in the box" and relating to others on stage are so important. Keep it in the family!

Here we go again! Vasiliev isn't even a regular at ABT! Even with coaching from either Tharp or Baryishnikov, wouldn't ANYONE want to see perhaps Joseph Phillips or Craig take on the role? Or Aaron Scott? That's a prime example of a ballet that could so easily and successfully be cast from within the company ranks. For me, after seeing all the casts of "Coppelia", my best moments came with Riccetta/Mathews. Wonderful, honest dancing that came across the footlights with flair and fun without all the physical derring do that often seems so false. Especially in these story ballets that rely on mime, staying "in the box" and relating to others on stage are so important. Keep it in the family!

I'd love to see Gomes in Push Comes to Shove. How about with Part & Lane? Part doing Tharp would be interesting!

Hmm, interesting!!

An interview with Vishneva that came out last week seems to have her saying that she "plans to dance Tatiana in 'Onegin' next year," at least that's what Google Translate suggests. (Any Russian speakers can verify?)

I can only hope that this means she'll be doing it at ABT next year, and hopefully with Gomes! If the two of them get to dance "Onegin" and maybe "Manon" together next year, I might die of happiness (after seeing them, of course. :wink: )!

Hmm, interesting!!

An interview with Vishneva that came out last week seems to have her saying that she "plans to dance Tatiana in 'Onegin' next year," at least that's what Google Translate suggests. (Any Russian speakers can verify?)

I can only hope that this means she'll be doing it at ABT next year, and hopefully with Gomes! If the two of them get to dance "Onegin" and maybe "Manon" together next year, I might die of happiness (after seeing them, of course. :wink: )!

Vishneva is a natural choice for Onegin. Kent performed it during the last run. (I think Dvorovenko also performed Tatiana, but I can't remember.)

I'm confused Mussel. Maybe this question has already been answered (as it has already been asked) but is this a wish list or do you have information about the 2012 Met season. I as well think Romeo and Juliet will be back. It usually does very well and is never out of ABT's repetoire for a year or two years at the most. I as well would love to see the Ashton program which was performed during the 2010 Met season. Even more, I would like to see Ashton's La Fille mal Gardee. And can't ABT get Ashton's Cinderella? Is it a problem with the rights? Every Cinderella I have ever seen ABT dance I have not liked. I saw the Royal Ballet dance Ashton's Cinderella during the Ashton festival in 2004 and I just loved it. I would also love to see Onegin return. It's a beautiful ballet, perfect for a dancer like Julie Kent.

I just wanted to add that of course as Abatt said Diana Vishneva would be perfect in Onegin. And with Gomes as Onegin. What a performance that would be!! And yes, Irina Dvorovenko did dance Tatiana in Onegin. I saw it quite some time ago - early 2000s. The Onegin was Graffin, I forget how to spell his first name. It was a fantastic performance. I knew he would be good, but I was really amazed at what a good actress Dvorovenko is.

And can't ABT get Ashton's Cinderella? Is it a problem with the rights? Every Cinderella I have ever seen ABT dance I have not liked. I saw the Royal Ballet dance Ashton's Cinderella during the Ashton festival in 2004 and I just loved it. I would also love to see Onegin return. It's a beautiful ballet, perfect for a dancer like Julie Kent.

I saw Ashton's "Cinderella" with the Royal Ballet in April, in London, and I thought it was only okay. Perhaps I would feel differently if I saw it danced with ABT's stars, but I personally wouldn't care to see that version over the current Kudelka one. I did not particularly care for the stepsisters in drag (whereas I love the Kudelka ones), and it bothered me that Cinderella's father would allow her to be treated as a servant. To me, the story seems better when she has an evil (or indifferent) stepmother.

If ABT produces a new "Cinderella," why not Ratmanksy's version? (I actually have only seen bits of it, so I'm not sure that would necessarily be better.) Or perhaps he could stage a new one for them?

As for "Onegin"--if ABT does it next year, I bet Kent, Vishneva and Dvorovenko would all be tapped to play Tatiana. Polina Semionova also has it in her rep, so she could potentially dance it too (and Cojocaru too, I think).

While we are all playing AD, I have two more thoughts.

How about Tudor's "Gala Performance" Two casts - 1st cast Principals or Guests maybe Kent, Dvorovenko, Osipova and 2nd cast Soloists maybe Seo, Boone, Lane.

Also, it would be fun to see the early Eliot Feld works, Intermezzo & At Midnight. I remember them fondly.

I know my ideas are not realistic. Oh - one more - Osipova as the cowgirl in Rodeo.

I really believe that ABT has a lot of great works from the past that could be re-explored and sell tickets. Who wouldn't want to see Gomes as Billy the Kid?

I saw Ashton's "Cinderella" with the Royal Ballet in April, in London, and I thought it was only okay. Perhaps I would feel differently if I saw it danced with ABT's stars, but I personally wouldn't care to see that version over the current Kudelka one. I did not particularly care for the stepsisters in drag (whereas I love the Kudelka ones), and it bothered me that Cinderella's father would allow her to be treated as a servant. To me, the story seems better when she has an evil (or indifferent) stepmother.

I've seen the Ashton over the years, I've seen the Kudelka, and a couple of other versions(plus more on video) and I don't think any of them really rings the bell. The Ashton has some beautiful parts, the seasons sections as well as the Cinderella/Prince pdd, but it gets horribly bogged down with the stepsisters. WAY, WAY, too much of them, they hog the show. The Kudelka has some things about it that I like but it's sort of light on the choreography and I think the plot meanders. However, Kudelka includes the around the world sequence in act 3 which I like.

I wonder if the problem is based on the score. I think it's actually sort of weak, Prokofiev tried to be really creative in Romeo and Juliet and got slapped down for it and I think he plays it much safer (and much duller) in Cinderella.

If we are going to bring back a full length Ashton, I say revive Fille.

I really believe that ABT has a lot of great works from the past that could be re-explored and sell tickets. Who wouldn't want to see Gomes as Billy the Kid?

Good point about rep. ABT has a lot of problems, many of which have been discussed recently in various threads. But their repertory history is staggering. Over the years I've seen a breadth of repertory with them that's been wider and more varied than any other ballet company that I've seen. I wish they would play to that strength, I think it's a tremendous asset.

Good point about rep. ABT has a lot of problems, many of which have been discussed recently in various threads. But their repertory history is staggering. Over the years I've seen a breadth of repertory with them that's been wider and more varied than any other ballet company that I've seen. I wish they would play to that strength, I think it's a tremendous asset.

Exactly my thought. I don't know how expensive it would be to set some pieces from the past, but I truly believe that a program of great choreography could be put together that could sell tickets. The Met rep program was anemic.

I wonder if the problem is based on the score. I think it's actually sort of weak, Prokofiev tried to be really creative in Romeo and Juliet and got slapped down for it and I think he plays it much safer (and much duller) in Cinderella.

I think you're on to something here! As nysusan pointed out to me, the music is rather dark, but most productions don't really address the darkness of the score and try to pass it off as a light, bright fairytale (suitable for children).

I like my music dark and minor, but even I am not a huge fan of the score, and I'm sure there are people like the lady sitting behind me at the dress rehearsal, who remarked at the end of Act II, "well, I liked the pas de deux music and that was about it."

Somehow I doubt that anyone will be commissioning a new score for "Cinderella" any time soon though...

Hmm, interesting!!

I just read the interview and can confirm that Vishneva said she's planning to dance Tatiana next year. Didn't mention the theater, though. Would be great if it's ABT.

Somehow I doubt that anyone will be commissioning a new score for "Cinderella" any time soon though...

Why not use the score composed (mostly) by Johann Strauss--"Aschenbroedel"?

(Aschenbroedel is the German name for Cinderella.)

I have not seen the Kudelka Cinderella and can't evaluate it--it's been interesting and fun to read a defense of it on this board since the critics rather seem to dislike it.

I do love the score of the ballet--dark as it is!--and although I know most people are somewhat bored by Ashton's Stepsisters (though they don't seem to have been bored when the roles were danced by their creators--Helpman and Ashton), I think Ashton's version as a whole is very fine: much of it a kind of light-handed twentieth-century translation of Sleeping Beauty. Actually at times in the second act it almost seems mere Sleeping Beauty pastiche to me: but not the first Act Seasons sequence where he really creates a wholly new classical vision from deep within the tradition.

However, I really started to think that it could be a good choice for ABT after seeing the company dance Sylvia -- three performances in a row with three completely different casts, every performance lovely. As with Bright Stream, ABT really looked like a company dancing Sylvia (even if the dancers did not all look like Ashton dancers!). That's the context in which the Ashton version makes sense for me (and, please, a revival of Fille).

I do see, though, that now that Ratmansky is with the company it might make sense to get his version (which, however, I have not seen, so it's hard for me to have an opinion)...

P.S. When Darcy Bussell's Cinderella made a tender farewell to the 'sweeter'of the two Stepsisters towards the end of Ashton's version--that moment alone made the whole stepsister shtick worth it.

Thanks Waelsung for the clarification! I'm going to try not to get my hopes up too much, because otherwise if the 2012 spring season is announced and there is no "Onegin," I will be very disappointed!

Why not use the score composed (mostly) by Johann Strauss--"Aschenbroedel"?

(Aschenbroedel is the German name for Cinderella.)

I was not aware there was another score for "Cinderella"! Hmm...interesting.

I do love the score of the ballet--dark as it is!--and although I know most people are somewhat bored by Ashton's Stepsisters (though they don't seem to have been bored when the roles were danced by their creators--Helpman and Ashton), I think Ashton's version as a whole is very fine: much of it a kind of light-handed twentieth-century translation of Sleeping Beauty. Actually at times in the second act it almost seems mere Sleeping Beauty pastiche to me: but not the first Act Seasons sequence where he really creates a wholly new classical vision from deep within the tradition.

That is funny! That was precisely my reaction when I saw Ashton's "Cinderella"--"This looks just like "Sleeping Beauty," but the story is different!"

Though I fear Ashton's "Cinderella" might end up Disney-fied at ABT, and I'm not sure I could handle that...

On a different note--it occurred to me today that we've discussed a lot about what ballets we'd like to see, and what would make financial sense, but I wonder what the dancers themselves would like to dance, and how much that should influence the ultimate decision. (And of course, what the corps would like to dance may be different from what the principals would like to dance.)

For example, I find it very interesting that the NYC critics all absolutely hated "Lady of the Camellias," and several viewers did too, yet Marguerite seems to be a coveted role for the ballerinas. Vishneva says it's one of her favorites; I remember reading that Hee Seo wanted to play Marguerite, and at some point Polina Semionova had said she wanted to dance the role.

I wonder what ballets the dancers themselves would want to do, if they could pick...