• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

#211 Eileen

Eileen

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:25 PM

This may not be relevant to this thread, but in my dealings with the subscription department, I have been impressed by how accommodating they have been to me, how they value their subscribers and do not want to lose any (due to this new pricing policy), how they patiently explain seat locations (zillions of times I'm sure), and how idealistic the particular lady I spoke to today was about the Company - she was devoted to the Company and wanted as many people as possible to see them. My decision to subscribe was validated, I feel, by the positive vibes I got on the phone from this lady. She was a true devotee, and spoke as if NYCB were her calling.

#212 Roberto Dini

Roberto Dini

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:53 PM

This may not be relevant to this thread, but in my dealings with the subscription department, I have been impressed by how accommodating they have been to me, how they value their subscribers and do not want to lose any (due to this new pricing policy), how they patiently explain seat locations (zillions of times I'm sure), and how idealistic the particular lady I spoke to today was about the Company - she was devoted to the Company and wanted as many people as possible to see them. My decision to subscribe was validated, I feel, by the positive vibes I got on the phone from this lady. She was a true devotee, and spoke as if NYCB were her calling.

It makes sense for them to be patient and accommodating. I'm sure the people working in the subscription office want to keep their jobs. I doubt they have anything to do with setting the ticket prices themselves. They work in customer service. I don't envy their having to explain the new pricing plan to callers.

#213 Eileen

Eileen

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:04 AM

It makes sense for them to be patient and accommodating. I'm sure the people working in the subscription office want to keep their jobs. I doubt they have anything to do with setting the ticket prices themselves. They work in customer service. I don't envy their having to explain the new pricing plan to callers.

Nonetheless, she was a very special person, going beyond her job to help me. Ever try calling Verizon? Now that's "customer service"!

#214 Roberto Dini

Roberto Dini

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:10 PM

Nonetheless, she was a very special person, going beyond her job to help me. Ever try calling Verizon? Now that's "customer service"!

I have no doubt that this woman is spectacular, but both she and Verizon have different agendas. I am no fan of Verzion. Verizon Wireless, formerly a separate entity, used to have incredible customer service, but after they snafued two phones that I removed from a family plan, they lost what little respect I had for them. They rank on a par with Verizon itself. I no longer user Verizon and will avoid them if at all possible.

#215 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:57 PM

http://www.nycballet...atingChart.html

NYCB has removed the price list from the bottom of the seating chart page, as well as the color coded guide that was there previously. Even more interesting, there is now a statement at the bottom of the page that there are "few" partial view seats. I guess they have been reading the comment/complaints on this board regarding their new plan.

#216 susanger

susanger

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:24 PM

http://www.nycballet.com/DHKT/2011-2012SeatingChart.html

NYCB has removed the price list from the bottom of the seating chart page, as well as the color coded guide that was there previously. Even more interesting, there is now a statement at the bottom of the page that there are "few" partial view seats. I guess they have been reading the comment/complaints on this board regarding their new plan.

Their definition of partial is different from mine if they claim there are "few" partial-view seats.

#217 macnellie

macnellie

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:11 AM

i moved to new york because of city ballet! What is martins doing!? i too, i think, will have to boycott or move to miami or something. can't buy third ring tickets. makes me so sad and mad. thought maybe seats would open up now that single tickets are on sale. no.

#218 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:42 PM

i moved to new york because of city ballet! What is martins doing!? i too, i think, will have to boycott or move to miami or something. can't buy third ring tickets. makes me so sad and mad. thought maybe seats would open up now that single tickets are on sale. no.

We can all, including Macnellie, breathe a sigh or two of relief. A letter has gone out to former 4th Ring Society members stating that "Society NYCB" will be opening up. There is a $20 membership fee and you can buy two tickets (they don't say where) at $15 each. The seats will be released Monday, two weeks before the performance week. It's quite complicated, and I can't copy it all, but I'm sure it's available online. Maybe a Press Release.

All tickets (ALL TICKETS) will have the $2.00 facility fee, and there will also be a $7 Service fee on the phone (maybe online, too) but if you say you are a "society" member, they will waive it.

The letter is from Karen Girty, Director, Marketing. The membership is available until Oct. 31, 2011 Marketing office phone is 212-496-0600. ( I guess they used up the 870-5--- numbers!)

#219 susanger

susanger

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:59 AM

From the Arts Beat column of The New York Times today:

City Ballet Offers New Discount Program After Complaints

Under the new arrangement, the ballet said, Society NYCB members will be able to buy two tickets per performance, excluding “George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker.” Some performances of other ballets will be blacked out. For most performances at least 70 such tickets will available, which could be for seats in any section of the theater. The program will not be open to new memberships, though that may change in the future.

I don't know how many 4th Ring Society folks attended each past performance, but is 70 tickets a reasonable number to make available for most performances?

#220 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:34 AM

Since I was not a member, having first had my eyes opened during the last year, I think I need a sponsor from BA. :> Help.

#221 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:48 AM

As I wrote earlier today on another thread, I'm just catching up to this discussion & the news that 3rd & 4th Rings will be closed for most repertory performances. No wonder that the 'cheapest' (not-so-cheap) single seats that I could get for a couple of spring 2012 rep performances were 2nd-tier sides! After the two early-May performances, that will do it for me and my 'megabussing' to NYC to catch NYCB performances.

Between this new seat-pricing/availability policy & the 'same casting' of the two televised Nutcrackers this month & the joke of a Tele-Media Center lying dormant... & the crappy programming for NYCB's next Kennedy Center tour, I've pretty much 'had it' with NYCB, its unions, the Balanchine Trust's wish to not publicly divulge more of MrB's choreography to hoi poloi, and the NYCB's general air of non-inclusiveness. Three strikes - they're OUT. (Actually, I've listed four strikes above.) So it's 'Thanks for the memories' to NYCB. I'll henceforth consider the Bolshoi & POB my 'home companies' of choice because, frankly, I see a heck of a lot more of them via live-in-cinemas & through their generous DVD'ing policy, than I see of NYCB or ABT. I'm now following up-and-coming corps dancers at the Bolshoi and POB the way that I used to enjoy following the careers of dancers in the NY companies.

C'est tout.

#222 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:57 AM

So it's 'Thanks for the memories' to NYCB. I'll henceforth consider the Bolshoi & POB my 'home companies' of choice because, frankly, I see a heck of a lot more of them via live-in-cinemas & through their generous DVD'ing policy, than I see of NYCB or ABT. I'm now following up-and-coming corps dancers at the Bolshoi and POB the way that I used to enjoy following the careers of dancers in the NY companies.

After "Raymonda", I thought you'd be moving to Milan.

#223 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:00 AM

Here's an interesting article that I read recently in the NY Times re "dynamic" pricing.
http://www.nytimes.c... Jackman&st=cse

Natalia, you have touched on only a few of the problems that NYCB has created for itself with this new pricing strategy. NYCB seems to believe it is selling tickets for a really hot limited engagement, like the Hugh Jackman show on Broadway. On most regular rep nights the expensive center seats remain largely vacant at NYCB. Why are center orchestra seats at NYCB so much more expensive than center orchestra seats for ABT at the MET? In addition, the ABT rep makes a very important point in the article that dynamic pricing should not result in undercutting your subscriber base. NYCB failed to recognize this basic, important point in its new pricing strategy.

One thing I can give NYCB credit for is filling in the side seats in the orchestra, 1st and second rings. The reduced prices on those seats have attracted customers. The only problem is that large chunks of the centered seats are now empty because they are significantly overpriced.

(As an aside, I saw Hugh Jackman on Broadway. He is a very entertaining guy, but I'm amazed at the prices people are willing to pay to see that show.)

#224 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:06 AM

.....After "Raymonda", I thought you'd be moving to Milan.

Ha-ha! Hardly, puppytreats; Somova dances in Excelsior next month. (Run for cover, Bolle!)

This was my first and most likely (hopefully not) last visit to Milan. It's an opera-uber-alles kind of town and this was my very rare reason to set foot in La Scala.

The $1 Megabus does not go to Milan. NY is an affordable trip but I won't go there to patronize a bunch of elitists, sorry. The subway to Silver Spring, MD, to see a generous company like the Bolshoi -- performing LIVE-in-Cinemas this spring no less than three times* --is the cheapest option of all...and most fulfilling. So the Bolshoi is my new 'home company'! (Besides, they'll be LIVE-LIVE at the Kennedy Center with a wonderful Petipa-era reproduction this spring...so I'm really getting to know & love their dancers!)

* Upcoming Bolshoi Live-in-Cinema dates:
March 11 - Corsaire
April 29 - Bright Stream
June 24 - Raymonda
My 'spring subscription' to live performances of the Bolshoi is set (in addition to Coppelia at the KennCen). Collectively less expensive that one night at a hotel in Manhattan!

#225 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:09 AM

Is she "Light" or "Civilization"?

"La Scala" offers many videos and dvds, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):