This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYC Ballet Prices

Announcement: Ballet striker caves, capitulates, throws in the towel. I, who was filled with distress at the new pricing policies of NYCB, have reconsidered my position. After much earlier breast-beating and wailing, I am subscribing to an eight-ballet series, no less! Why? Because of my experience as a ballet ticket seller the other week. I had a Diana Vishneva ABT ticket greatly in demand, and I was getting very low offers for it. I refused to sell it for the lowball offers because I knew its true value. I did compromise, but at three times the lowball offers! I was looking for a prosperous looking person for whom my price would not be a problem and who would realize it was fair given the scarcity of the commodity.

Why was I selling the ticket? Because I needed the money more than I needed to see the ballet at that time. Now my ship has come in, I have married a rich man, my aunt has left me her inheritance (just kidding!) - actually, my experience of actually selling a ticket myself put an entirely different perspective on NYCB's strategy. It was a strategy to close the company's $6 million deficit by filling seats with affluent people (now me). They have decided, coldly to us buyers but reasonably to the sellers, that selling seats at $15 was just not the way to prevent the company from following in the footsteps or toe shoes of City Opera.

I want to preserve NYCB to dance another season, and by subscribing to a substantial number of ballets, I am acting on my recent comprehension of realities. Luckily I can afford it now that my diamond necklace has been pawned (just kidding) and I rented out my Nantucket cottage (also kidding).

I haven't subscribed to either NYCB or ABT in the last couple years because of cost, schedule (I often have short notice of days off so I can attend a performance), or casting (at ABT I'm more particular). My NYCB tix have always been in the 4th Ring because it was the only way I could afford to go with the added transportation costs. So now I'm a little confused...If you are a subscriber, no 4th Ring available; but if not, you can still purchase a seat in the 4th Ring? Someone please explain, my two NYCB brochures didn't. And I'd like to get at least one ticket this season, but preferably not deplete all my savings to do it. Thanks to all who can respond.

My NYCB tix have always been in the 4th Ring ... So now I'm a little confused...If you are a subscriber, no 4th Ring available; but if not, you can still purchase a seat in the 4th Ring? Someone please explain, my two NYCB brochures didn't.

If you previously had a third or fourth ring subscription, they permitted you to renew it if you so desired. However, they purportedly were not selling any new subscriptions in those rings.

With respect all single ticket purchases, my understanding is that they will only sell you tickets in the orchestra, first or second rings for most performances, except for certain "popular" programs. For the "popular" programs, they will also sell third and fourth ring. No info has been provided on which dates the 3 & 4th rings will be open during the rep season. (I'm sure they will open every ring for Nutcracker.) The majority of the seats in the fourth ring are now priced at $129 and $89 for rep performances (subscriber price is slightly less). I'm not sure who they think will buy those obscenely over-priced fourth ring tickets for the popular programs.

Theoretically, there are $29 seats now in the orchestra, first and second rings. In practice, (a) it appears that they are very few in number and (b) many (most) of those $29 seat locations are in awful, partial view locations.

They have yet to announce what, if anything, they are doing for people who have been Fourth Ring Society Members. While I think that the $15 tickets they used to offer with the Fourth Ring Society pass were priced absurdly low, they have now gone to the opposite extreme of over-charging for most seats in the auditorium, in my opinion.

I agree with you that the brochure was useless. The one I received had NO PRICES. I'm not sure if they published a new one since then.

If anyone has a different understanding of the new price gouging system, or additional info, please post.

There is a big difference between making a profit and profiteering. I believe NYCB is engaging in the latter.

My NYCB tix have always been in the 4th Ring ... So now I'm a little confused...If you are a subscriber, no 4th Ring available; but if not, you can still purchase a seat in the 4th Ring? Someone please explain, my two NYCB brochures didn't.

If you previously had a third or fourth ring subscription, they permitted you to renew it if you so desired. However, they purportedly were not selling any new subscriptions in those rings.

With respect all single ticket purchases, my understanding is that they will only sell you tickets in the orchestra, first or second rings for most performances, except for certain "popular" programs. For the "popular" programs, they will also sell third and fourth ring. No info has been provided on which dates the 3 & 4th rings will be open during the rep season. (I'm sure they will open every ring for Nutcracker.) The majority of the seats in the fourth ring are now priced at $129 and $89 for rep performances (subscriber price is slightly less). I'm not sure who they think will buy those obscenely over-priced fourth ring tickets for the popular programs.

Theoretically, there are $29 seats now in the orchestra, first and second rings. In practice, (a) it appears that they are very few in number and (b) many (most) of those $29 seat locations are in awful, partial view locations.

They have yet to announce what, if anything, they are doing for people who have been Fourth Ring Society Members. While I think that the $15 tickets they used to offer with the Fourth Ring Society pass were priced absurdly low, they have now gone to the opposite extreme of over-charging for most seats in the auditorium, in my opinion.

I agree with you that the brochure was useless. The one I received had NO PRICES. I'm not sure if they published a new one since then.

If anyone has a different understanding of the new price gouging system, or additional info, please post.

There is a big difference between making a profit and profiteering. I believe NYCB is engaging in the latter.

I did not purchase a subscription in the 4th ring, which is not available. They are selling subs only in orchestra, first and second ring. The brochure was inadequate. In small print, you were referred to the website, specifically, to nycballet.com/2012standard series for a complete list of standard series and the ballets the series contained. The brochure did list prices, but without further information (available on the phone) you were not able to properly evaluate what the prices represented in terms of seats. And the floorplan was broken up in such a way as to be confusing, especially with the orchestra aisles bisecting sections which were the same price, BUT! When you call 212-496-0600, they patiently explain to you exactly what rows and seats each colored price section includes, and if you take notes, you will have a better picture of what you are buying. Yes, it's complicated, but they are clear and patient on the phone. They are trying to encourage subscriptions rather than single tickets, so the price of a subscription ticket does include a discount over single ticket savings. I would never have subscribed, but for my own ticket selling experience. You can't understand another's position until you stand in their toe shoes.

They may be making fan-unfriendly decisions, but I don't think they can be accused of profiteering when they are currently running a multimillion dollar deficit.

I never subscribe because I don't go until I see casting. I know there was some kind of exchange thing but it always seemed too much trouble to me.

I wonder if, under the new system, a greater percentage of seats will be subscription, leaving us single tickets buyers at a disadvantage and thus pressuring us to subscribe.

Also I wonder if there will be any discount Atruim tickets.

This coming season will be a learning experience for us all.

According to the NY Times article of a few weeks ago, the company plans on raising ticket prices for certain performances based on demand. The quote is as follows:

"It’s designed to have more accessible and affordable pricing throughout the house,” Mr. Daniels said. The prices may change ahead of performances based on demand, he said, a practice now being followed at other performing arts institutions and some Broadway shows."

ABT also did this during the spring season, so that prices increased for certain performances where there was high demand as the performance date approached. However, since ABT published casting months in advance, I had already bought the vast majority of my tickets before any of the prices increased. There was only one performance that was a last minute purchase where I paid the higher "demand based" price.

Since NYCB does not publish casting until a week or two before the performance, they might be charging a higher price for certain performances by the time the casting info is published. The use of demand based pricing at NYCB is ridiculous, since NYCB has removed approximately 40 percent of the seats at the Koch from public sale by closing the 3rd and 4th rings. The closure of those rings will always create the appearance of an artificially high demand for seats in the orchestra, first and second ring for a performance. I think (but I'm not certain) that subscribers are entitled to the reduced subscriber price for all shows (not Nutcracker), even for high demand shows where they raise the price based on high demand. It's going to be a very, very interesting season.

According to the NY Times article of a few weeks ago, the company plans on raising ticket prices for certain performances based on demand. The quote is as follows:

"Its designed to have more accessible and affordable pricing throughout the house, Mr. Daniels said. The prices may change ahead of performances based on demand, he said, a practice now being followed at other performing arts institutions and some Broadway shows."

ABT also did this during the spring season, so that prices increased for certain performances where there was high demand as the performance date approached. However, since ABT published casting months in advance, I had already bought the vast majority of my tickets before any of the prices increased. There was only one performance that was a last minute purchase where I paid the higher "demand based" price.

Since NYCB does not publish casting until a week or two before the performance, they might be charging a higher price for certain performances by the time the casting info is published. The use of demand based pricing at NYCB is ridiculous, since NYCB has removed approximately 40 percent of the seats at the Koch from public sale by closing the 3rd and 4th rings. The closure of those rings will always create the appearance of an artificially high demand for seats in the orchestra, first and second ring for a performance. I think (but I'm not certain) that subscribers are entitled to the reduced subscriber price for all shows (not Nutcracker), even for high demand shows where they raise the price based on high demand. It's going to be a very, very interesting season.

I'll call Monday and try to find out if subscribers' prices will apply to tickets outside of their subscription. I doubt it. Subscribers are being given, as an inducement, two vouchers for tickets to introduce new people to the ballet. I will ask on Monday if those ballets are going to be the abstruse, new choreography ones, or the ballets that newcomers wold actually like. It would seem counterproductive to introduce a new generation of students to "Moves" when West Side Story would be a lot more accessible to them. Subscription lady told me you are given a choice of ballets the vouchers are good for. I am waiting for a response from readers that Moves is just as fascinating as West Side Story. Controversy seems to follow me wherever I go....

I'll call Monday and try to find out if subscribers' prices will apply to tickets outside of their subscription. I doubt it.

From the NYCB Website, under Subscriber Benefits:

Subscribers get the best deal in the house with ticket prices as much as 20% off regular prices. This preferred subscriber rate is also applicable to any additional single ticket purchases you make throughout the season.

Purchasing additional single tickets: nycballet.com-registered users can purchase single tickets with this preferred subscription rate online, and all subscribers can purchase tickets with your subscription rate in person at the David H. Koch Theater Box Office with your Subscription ID Card or by calling the Subscription Hotline at 212-870-4260 with you Subscription ID Number.

The subscriber discount is pretty insignificant for certain price levels. The subscriber price is only $3.00 less than the full price tickets for the cheapest seats ($26 instead of $29) and $6 less than the full price tickets for the next cheapest tickets ($49 instead of $55). The dollar amount of the savings increases for each higher price level.

This may not be relevant to this thread, but in my dealings with the subscription department, I have been impressed by how accommodating they have been to me, how they value their subscribers and do not want to lose any (due to this new pricing policy), how they patiently explain seat locations (zillions of times I'm sure), and how idealistic the particular lady I spoke to today was about the Company - she was devoted to the Company and wanted as many people as possible to see them. My decision to subscribe was validated, I feel, by the positive vibes I got on the phone from this lady. She was a true devotee, and spoke as if NYCB were her calling.

This may not be relevant to this thread, but in my dealings with the subscription department, I have been impressed by how accommodating they have been to me, how they value their subscribers and do not want to lose any (due to this new pricing policy), how they patiently explain seat locations (zillions of times I'm sure), and how idealistic the particular lady I spoke to today was about the Company - she was devoted to the Company and wanted as many people as possible to see them. My decision to subscribe was validated, I feel, by the positive vibes I got on the phone from this lady. She was a true devotee, and spoke as if NYCB were her calling.

It makes sense for them to be patient and accommodating. I'm sure the people working in the subscription office want to keep their jobs. I doubt they have anything to do with setting the ticket prices themselves. They work in customer service. I don't envy their having to explain the new pricing plan to callers.

It makes sense for them to be patient and accommodating. I'm sure the people working in the subscription office want to keep their jobs. I doubt they have anything to do with setting the ticket prices themselves. They work in customer service. I don't envy their having to explain the new pricing plan to callers.

Nonetheless, she was a very special person, going beyond her job to help me. Ever try calling Verizon? Now that's "customer service"!

Nonetheless, she was a very special person, going beyond her job to help me. Ever try calling Verizon? Now that's "customer service"!

I have no doubt that this woman is spectacular, but both she and Verizon have different agendas. I am no fan of Verzion. Verizon Wireless, formerly a separate entity, used to have incredible customer service, but after they snafued two phones that I removed from a family plan, they lost what little respect I had for them. They rank on a par with Verizon itself. I no longer user Verizon and will avoid them if at all possible.

http://www.nycballet.com/DHKT/2011-2012SeatingChart.html

NYCB has removed the price list from the bottom of the seating chart page, as well as the color coded guide that was there previously. Even more interesting, there is now a statement at the bottom of the page that there are "few" partial view seats. I guess they have been reading the comment/complaints on this board regarding their new plan.

Their definition of partial is different from mine if they claim there are "few" partial-view seats.

i moved to new york because of city ballet! What is martins doing!? i too, i think, will have to boycott or move to miami or something. can't buy third ring tickets. makes me so sad and mad. thought maybe seats would open up now that single tickets are on sale. no.

i moved to new york because of city ballet! What is martins doing!? i too, i think, will have to boycott or move to miami or something. can't buy third ring tickets. makes me so sad and mad. thought maybe seats would open up now that single tickets are on sale. no.

We can all, including Macnellie, breathe a sigh or two of relief. A letter has gone out to former 4th Ring Society members stating that "Society NYCB" will be opening up. There is a $20 membership fee and you can buy two tickets (they don't say where) at $15 each. The seats will be released Monday, two weeks before the performance week. It's quite complicated, and I can't copy it all, but I'm sure it's available online. Maybe a Press Release.

All tickets (ALL TICKETS) will have the $2.00 facility fee, and there will also be a $7 Service fee on the phone (maybe online, too) but if you say you are a "society" member, they will waive it.

The letter is from Karen Girty, Director, Marketing. The membership is available until Oct. 31, 2011 Marketing office phone is 212-496-0600. ( I guess they used up the 870-5--- numbers!)

From the Arts Beat column of The New York Times today:

City Ballet Offers New Discount Program After Complaints

Under the new arrangement, the ballet said, Society NYCB members will be able to buy two tickets per performance, excluding “George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker.” Some performances of other ballets will be blacked out. For most performances at least 70 such tickets will available, which could be for seats in any section of the theater. The program will not be open to new memberships, though that may change in the future.

I don't know how many 4th Ring Society folks attended each past performance, but is 70 tickets a reasonable number to make available for most performances?

As I wrote earlier today on another thread, I'm just catching up to this discussion & the news that 3rd & 4th Rings will be closed for most repertory performances. No wonder that the 'cheapest' (not-so-cheap) single seats that I could get for a couple of spring 2012 rep performances were 2nd-tier sides! After the two early-May performances, that will do it for me and my 'megabussing' to NYC to catch NYCB performances.

Between this new seat-pricing/availability policy & the 'same casting' of the two televised Nutcrackers this month & the joke of a Tele-Media Center lying dormant... & the crappy programming for NYCB's next Kennedy Center tour, I've pretty much 'had it' with NYCB, its unions, the Balanchine Trust's wish to not publicly divulge more of MrB's choreography to hoi poloi, and the NYCB's general air of non-inclusiveness. Three strikes - they're OUT. (Actually, I've listed four strikes above.) So it's 'Thanks for the memories' to NYCB. I'll henceforth consider the Bolshoi & POB my 'home companies' of choice because, frankly, I see a heck of a lot more of them via live-in-cinemas & through their generous DVD'ing policy, than I see of NYCB or ABT. I'm now following up-and-coming corps dancers at the Bolshoi and POB the way that I used to enjoy following the careers of dancers in the NY companies.

C'est tout.

So it's 'Thanks for the memories' to NYCB. I'll henceforth consider the Bolshoi & POB my 'home companies' of choice because, frankly, I see a heck of a lot more of them via live-in-cinemas & through their generous DVD'ing policy, than I see of NYCB or ABT. I'm now following up-and-coming corps dancers at the Bolshoi and POB the way that I used to enjoy following the careers of dancers in the NY companies.

After "Raymonda", I thought you'd be moving to Milan.

Here's an interesting article that I read recently in the NY Times re "dynamic" pricing.

http://www.nytimes.c...+Jackman&st=cse

Natalia, you have touched on only a few of the problems that NYCB has created for itself with this new pricing strategy. NYCB seems to believe it is selling tickets for a really hot limited engagement, like the Hugh Jackman show on Broadway. On most regular rep nights the expensive center seats remain largely vacant at NYCB. Why are center orchestra seats at NYCB so much more expensive than center orchestra seats for ABT at the MET? In addition, the ABT rep makes a very important point in the article that dynamic pricing should not result in undercutting your subscriber base. NYCB failed to recognize this basic, important point in its new pricing strategy.

One thing I can give NYCB credit for is filling in the side seats in the orchestra, 1st and second rings. The reduced prices on those seats have attracted customers. The only problem is that large chunks of the centered seats are now empty because they are significantly overpriced.

(As an aside, I saw Hugh Jackman on Broadway. He is a very entertaining guy, but I'm amazed at the prices people are willing to pay to see that show.)

.....After "Raymonda", I thought you'd be moving to Milan.

Ha-ha! Hardly, puppytreats; Somova dances in Excelsior next month. (Run for cover, Bolle!)

This was my first and most likely (hopefully not) last visit to Milan. It's an opera-uber-alles kind of town and this was my very rare reason to set foot in La Scala.

The $1 Megabus does not go to Milan. NY is an affordable trip but I won't go there to patronize a bunch of elitists, sorry. The subway to Silver Spring, MD, to see a generous company like the Bolshoi -- performing LIVE-in-Cinemas this spring no less than three times* --is the cheapest option of all...and most fulfilling. So the Bolshoi is my new 'home company'! (Besides, they'll be LIVE-LIVE at the Kennedy Center with a wonderful Petipa-era reproduction this spring...so I'm really getting to know & love their dancers!)

* Upcoming Bolshoi Live-in-Cinema dates:

March 11 - Corsaire

April 29 - Bright Stream

June 24 - Raymonda

My 'spring subscription' to live performances of the Bolshoi is set (in addition to Coppelia at the KennCen). Collectively less expensive that one night at a hotel in Manhattan!