• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:44 AM

Has anyone ever gone from Corps De Ballet straight to Principal?

I think that may have happened under Baryshnikov (Susan Jaffee?) but never under Kevin. IMO his slowness to promote dancers to principal (especially women) is terrible & may prompt some worthy dancers to leave ABT. What's the point of being promoted to principal when you're past your prime? At NYCB principals are generally around 20 yrs.old. At ABT it's more like 30 yrs old. The quick promotion of Boylston is a step in the right direction. Hope Simkin named principal soon!

I don't recall of anyone who was promoted to principal from the corps de ballet at ABT.Susan J. was a soloist for a season or two before being promoted to principal dancer.

#17 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:41 PM

Has anyone ever gone from Corps De Ballet straight to Principal?

I think that may have happened under Baryshnikov (Susan Jaffee?) but never under Kevin. IMO his slowness to promote dancers to principal (especially women) is terrible & may prompt some worthy dancers to leave ABT. What's the point of being promoted to principal when you're past your prime? At NYCB principals are generally around 20 yrs.old. At ABT it's more like 30 yrs old. The quick promotion of Boylston is a step in the right direction. Hope Simkin named principal soon!

I don't recall of anyone who was promoted to principal from the corps de ballet at ABT.Susan J. was a soloist for a season or two before being promoted to principal dancer.

Ditto Angel Corella, who went from the back of the corps in Spain, to ABT soloist (Apr.'95), to ABT principal (Aug.'96) by age 20. A very fast ascent, (and under McKenzie).

But to get back to the original topic... I am VERY happy for Ms. Boylston, professionally & personally, and look forward to watching her achieve even greater success in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):