This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

BNC @ SCFTA June 2011

What a fun opening night! It occurred to me at intermission it was so nice to sit through a mixed "bill/gala" evening and not actively want to die at points due to crummy "modern" choreography/music.

Brief thoughts:

Anette Delgado--I always knew I would truly love her once I finally saw her live. What a perfect beauty in Giselle. :wub: I just want to see her in the whole thing now!

Like Natalia reported from DC, Osiel Gounoud and his darling partner Grettel Morejon brought down the house. They were a real pair...a lot of the other dancers seemed to have no connection with their partners, but these two really looked like they loved dancing together. He is definitely going to be the next the It sensation from Cuba; it was hard to look at the other principal men and see the connection between them and Acosta, the Carrenos, Sarabita, Frometa, etc-- they all seem good at one thing--say beautiful epaulment or lovely pirouettes-but no other man has the right mix of all things aside from Gounod.

Barbara Garcia was great--women half her age would die for her technique! In looks, she reminds me of Xiomara Reyes especially in the face and in the carriage of their head (no bad thing in my opinion).

Sadaise Arencibia was a beautiful Odette...she had the perfect stretch that kept her looking long without turning into a contortionist routine. I think her shoe broke in the last 45 seconds of the pas. Her foot was buckling for awhile and then she gave up on it, but it looked like it was certainly the shoe and not some weird foot issue. Her partner on the other hand looked like an errant Wili with his white cake makeup. It's summer, time to move to a darker shade!

Finally...Miss Viengsay Valdes. I was worried about my feelings when I saw her live: I am not fan of circus craziness in ballet, but I've often enjoyed her on youtube as she does display a pure classicism amidst all the astonishing tricks but she was perfectly tactful, imo, and really wonderful! I mean as tactful as one can be holding balances that stretch for eternity. However, it didn't feel like a sideshow ever. In fact, a lot of reviews I've read criticized the company as working solely in service of "tricks" which I don't think could be farther from the truth. Perhaps it's because their technique is more rooted in old-fashioned values that it seems more like instances of bravura rather than the blatant showboating present at a lot of galas. Anyway, one woman in front of me kept giving her mini-standing Os at every opportunity.

Anyway...more to come I will be back on Saturday to see the lovely Anette as Kitri and all the other new castings (I think Valdes is doing Sleeping Beauty, and Garcia is Odette??).

On a personal note...I got stuck in front of 4 talkers who produced such gems as "Wow I can't do that" (said to Giselle's penchee), "Nice butt" (to Albrecht), "I know this song!!" "What is it" "The Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy!!" amidst all other kinds of constant discussion ("wow" "OMG" "did you see that?" "OH") and cell phone chirping. Repeated glares did not silence them but finally a lady next to me simultaneously SHHHHHHH'd them with me and it did the trick....for about 5 minutes. :wallbash:

You just perceived what the real essence and cause of the BNC displays of tricks is all about, ksk04. It is just exactly that...a certain continuation of an old fashioned projection way...something you easily see in those old movies-(like the one I recently posted of Dudinskaya/Sergueev)-or other clips-(I had the same thought when I recently revisited "Limelight" and saw the excerpts of Hayden/Eglevsky). It is a combination that includes tricks, strong technique and on top of everything, a desire to offer an exciting show...a happy moment for people that should continue in their heads way after they live the theater. As I've always said...nothing but "grey"... :thumbsup:

VERY happy to hear the reports...by now my envy's color is undefined...

Last night (6/18) was also interesting and excellent--if for different reasons than opening night.

First, I felt the men were more on form. Valdes' partner in Sleeping Beauty, Alejandro Virelles, seemed much more at home in the Florimund variation as opposed to Basil's variation on opening night. He showed a light and effortless jump with silent landings. Similarly, Anette Delgado's partner, Dani Hernandez, in DQ, displayed a new confidence. He was having a great time, partnering her with ease and they nailed the giant one handed lift in the pas, where he proceeded to hold her up in the air for eternity and then walk her around the stage. His solo also showed more attack and finesse.

Unfortunately (for me), some of the dancers were cast in the same ballets both evenings, which I was trying to avoid in an effort to see variety while still working around my schedule. Barbara Garcia was Sugarplum again and Arencibia was Odette again. Garcia had some problems in the coda, but she just pushed forward with more velocity, commanding her body in place and everything corrected itself-what a force!

I didn't know what to expect with Valdes in Sleeping Beauty; though she was perfectly fine, I did prefer Yanela Pinera on opening night. As a couple though, Valdes and Virelles were much more in synch with each other, and again Virelles was wonderful in his solo. They also managed the fish dives with more grace and tempered the overblown practically upside ending fish dive position (sorry...not so much my taste!).

Anette Delgado was excellent in Don Quixote--this was definitely the audience favorite of the evening. Such class from both Delgado and Hernandez. Very happy to have seen them in this; I debated going to see Delgado cast in the Giselle excerpt again just because it was so perfect, but am glad I got to see her Kitri.

I wonder why Alonso doesn't do some of Act I of Sleeping Beauty--the Garland Waltz coupled with Aurora's entrace and Rose Adagio would break up a little of the pas de deux monotony. I understand she hasn't changed this program in a long time, but I think it would be a welcome addition instead of the wedding pas de deux.

I wonder why Alonso doesn't do some of Act I of Sleeping Beauty--the Garland Waltz coupled with Aurora's en trace and Rose Adagio would break up a little of the pas de deux monotony. I understand she hasn't changed this program in a long time, but I think it would be a welcome addition instead of the wedding pas de deux.

Are you serious...? Do you want Miss V. going around the world fresh as a lettuce just showing off for the Rose Adagio balances...? :D She could be at risk to be arrested after the performance via telephone call from some Petipa hardcore fans...! (Seriously...she could be tempted to try not to hold one single hand during those balances...! :) )

On a serious note...yes...the RA would be a great addition...along with an excerpt from "Fille" and the Shades Entrance and Veil Pas de Deux of "Bayadere"...

Glad you enjoyed the performance, KsK04...very happy indeed. :thumbsup:

Are you serious...? Do you want Miss V. going around the world fresh as a lettuce just showing off for the Rose Adagio balances...? :D She could be at risk to be arrested after the performance via telephone call from some Petipa hardcore fans...!

:rofl:

Well she almost turned the Wedding pas into a mini balance-a-thon (who even knew there were balances to be found in the Sleeping Beauty wedding pas??), which is what made me think of it. Why not give her a built in platform for her abilities?

I had a great time...I'm sorry you didn't get to see the company while they've been in the US this time around. I would have been happy to go all week had I the time and extra money!