Giselle 2011

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#61 Raylene

Raylene

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:30 PM

I know this does not specifically address your question. But if he is referencing just these two performances, is it relevant to remember that this represented Cojocaru’s debut in Giselle in ABT’s staging at a relatively new venue for her as well as her first pairing with Hallberg vs Vishneva’s many appearances in Giselle over the years both with Gomes and at the Met?

#62 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 04:48 PM

... But could anyone explain for me what Macaulay means by a "full toned dancer" as in Vishneva being more "full toned" than Cojocaru?

I don't know, and I don't think anyone can really answer your question but Mr. Macaulay. I know that when my husband emailed A. Macaulay with a question, he got a lovely response. Perhaps you could go to the source (and report back of course!)

I thought it interesting that so much space was given to G. Kirkland in the review. I am old enough to remember Kirkland's performances, but what is the younger audience member supposed to make of it. Telling us the Cojocaru was more flawed than Kirkland but warmer etc. is useless for most people (I'd quibble with that assessment, but that is not my point).

Reviewing dance is difficult - putting any art form that speaks for itself into words is very hard. Hat's off to anyone who does it well at least some of the time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):