This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Rolando Sarabia, recipient of the Benois

I would love to learn the story about this nomination and the final selection as one of only 3 male dancers to win.

I very much liked Sarabia's dancing at MCB, but ... to be frank ... find it difficult to make a connection between what I saw on stage with all those comparisons to Baryshnikov (and Nijinsky !!!) that were made when he was very young in Cuba.

Perhaps the Benois honor, along with ABT's recent invitation to guest for several performances of Don Q, will help him achieve a position with a major international classical company, which seems to be his goal.

I would love to learn the story about this nomination and the final selection as one of only 3 male dancers to win.

I very much liked Sarabia's dancing at MCB, but ... to be frank ... find it difficult to make a connection between what I saw on stage with all those comparisons to Baryshnikov (and Nijinsky !!!) that were made when he was very young in Cuba.

Perhaps the Benois honor, along with ABT's recent invitation to guest for several performances of Don Q, will help him achieve a position with a major international classical company, which seems to be his goal.

That's the problem with needing a soundbite for wider media attention though, the list of dancers who might be relevant or known by the wider public is tiny so every male dancer is either the next Nijinsky, Baryshnikov or Nureyev. So far in the UK alone Steven Mcrae, Sergei Polunin and now Vadim Muntagirov are the next Nureyev's I can't wait until next year when we find out who the next, next Nureyev is, unless of course they decide to take a sabbatical.

It's also a testament to how synonymous of ballet Fonteyn in that she seems to be the sole ballerina whose name is brought up for a non-dance audience soundbite.

The Benois set up reminds me a bit of Charles Ives statement that "awards are nothing but the badges of mediocrity" it does on looking over the website seem a bit like an in-house circle jerk, I'd also like to know how they draw up their short lists, they hardly seem exhaustive or entirely representative of dance.

The thing that gets me is Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui's win, anyone whose ever sat through an evening of Cherkaoui's work, and I've sat through several will be thinking "huh"? But looking at the judges I see Wayne Macgregor is the choreographic judge and guess who his very good chum is?

It's also a testament to how synonymous of ballet Fonteyn in that she seems to be the sole ballerina whose name is brought up for a non-dance audience soundbite.

I have the impression Pavlova is holding her own, at least here in the States.

Wow...I notice we have moved a little from past times' feelings about the Benois and its winners/nominees... :innocent:

Congratulations to the winners and to all the nominees and participants :):)!

Congratulations to Isabella Boylston and David Hallberg (ABT) for being nominated!!! That's a big honour in itself!

Congratulations to all winners and also, of course, to all the nominees!!

Congratulations to all nominees and laureate winners. It such an honor to have been included on the list. :clapping:
Congrats to all of the winners!
…as... says, "congrats to all of the winners!" :)

Wow...I notice we have moved a little from past times' feelings about the Benois and its winners/nominees... :innocent:

You're right, Cristian. Sometimes threads have a way of doing that. :wink:

To return to the Benois: it would be wonderful to hear what others of our members think about the Winners this year -- or about the Benois de la Danse in general. [Moderator beanie on .... }Hint, hint. {Moderator beaning off ...]

Congratulations to Isabella Boylston and David Hallberg (ABT) for being nominated!!! That's a big honour in itself!

The above quote was mine and I've always been positive about the Benois Prize. I even wrote a step-by-step explanation of how the nominations and selection of winners works. It's on BT somewhere in the posts from a few years ago.

With the above statement I wanted to make sure that people read Isabella Boylston's name again, in case they missed it going over the list. As you champion your favourite dancers, I champion mine!