• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#46 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:04 AM

That's nice but....How about DVDs of the full ballets, commercially-available to the public around the world?

Absolutely! If the DVD version doesn't work financially, how about a download on iTunes? I'd buy Allegro, for sure, if they could tape the full performance.

These look like the videos they run in the front lobby of the Theatre, which I appreciate. But the complete ballet would be so welcome. They could wait until the theater performances are over, if that's their worry. So many people around the world have no way to get to New York to see these in performance.

#47 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:00 PM

I'm curious about one programming choice and wondered if anyone here knows the story. Robbins' Les Noces is scheduled for just one performance all year on Tuesday, May 29. Originally, they had announced Moves at that performance, and this is a substitution. It seems odd to go to all the trouble rehearsing this for just one performance. (I saw it many years ago and loved it. I hope to get to New York next spring to see it again.)

I did a little googling and it was apparently reconstructed for the 1998 Robbins Celebration: http://www.nycballet...pr01-29-08.html
Perhaps it has been performed since then. Does anybody know why they are doing this one-time-only performance? Tuesday night doesn't seem like it would be somebody's retirement performance, but perhaps it is.

#48 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:25 PM

They did Les Noces in 1999. I don't know if they've done it since.

#49 Eileen

Eileen

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:58 PM

I remember seeing it in 1998 or 1999. It was rather odd, describing a wedding ritual, with everyone dressed like European peasants. Not really ballet. The title describes it. Les Noces.

#50 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:22 AM

I remember seeing it in 1998 or 1999. It was rather odd, describing a wedding ritual, with everyone dressed like European peasants. Not really ballet. The title describes it. Les Noces.

I think it's been done since then, although I don't remember when. The ballet is very much visually modeled on Bronislava Nijinska's "Les Noce." It premiered at ABT.

#51 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:55 AM

Les Noces was done most recently in 2009.

http://www.nytimes.c...nce/06city.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):