This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The great sautes en arriere sur la pointe

roger

Have you ever seen the CUban version of Swan lake,

after odiles fouettes, prince siegfried performs a virtous diagonal alongside the stage, rigt after it, odiles, who stands close to the front part of the stage, on the left side, rises her arabesque a begin jumping on her tip, she crosses almost the whole stage jumping while the cuban audience claps at tempo with each jump, 28 jumps sur la pointe en arabesque. at the end. a crack ballerina make a long balance and turns her head to the audience, as ssaying, you see what i have made and I am almost done wiht my work, I have trapped him, she then performs a cricle of piques and siegfried elevates her over his head a makes her a great sensational pas de poisson, some ballerinas go down penche while jumping sautees en arriere sur la potnte, you try to find a video.

Odile, who stands close to the front part of the stage, on the left side, rises her arabesque a begin jumping on her tip, she crosses almost the whole stage jumping while the cuban audience claps at tempo with each jump, 28 jumps sur la pointe en arabesque.

Hey, Roger...this two links will get you to an old thread on that particular issue... Hope they will shred some light on the subject. :tiphat:

http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/25032-the-alonso-youskevitch-black-swan/

hey, you guy. thanks for the information, actually, this is the first time I use the page, its really interesting what you find here, I hope that you can contact me someday to talk more about it.

hey, you guy. thanks for the information, actually, this is the first time I use the page, its really interesting what you find here, I hope that you can contact me someday to talk more about it.

Hi Roger...do you know anything on when and where and by who was this particular series of steps introduced in the BS coda ...? (the 1958 clip with Youskevitch only contains the PDD Entree and Adagio). The other clip that shows Alonso performing the step dates from 1964, and by then the only staging done in Cuba had been Mary Skeaping's)

Hi Roger...do you know anything on when and where and by who was this particular series of steps introduced in the BS coda ...? (the 1958 clip with Youskevitch only contains the PDD Entree and Adagio). The other clip that shows Alonso performing the step dates from 1964, and by then the only staging done in Cuba had been Mary Skeaping's)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5sxVB_6QGg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zKxEUgcWQQ

to tell you the truth, i have no idea, but what I know is that the only version containing such a step is the CUban version, I have never seen another version with that series, have you ever eye-witnessed the performing of the step??? its great, I hope to see it tonight, and some other nights as well

... have you ever eye-witnessed the performing of the step???

:) Roger...I actually hadn't seen that coda danced in any other way until a non-Cuban ballerina performed the Pas during one of the last Havana Ballet Festivals I attended before leaving the country. When I realized that the most anticipaded, climatic moment of the coda-(more than the fouettes)- would never happen, I was really struck with dissapointment. Still today I don't get a good "high" out of watching this PDD as I used to...it is not the same without the "vaquitas"... :huh:

http://www.youtube.com/user/yosva75?blend=24&ob=5#p/u/0/hkxevxVjIlU

I first saw a video of this version, on the PBS program "Born To Be Wild: The Men of ABT" during the segment on Jose Manuel Carreno. (The video is available on DVD. And maybe viewable on YT?)

In the biographical segment on Mr. Carreno, there is included footage from a return visit to Cuba, when he danced (SL entire or only BS pdd?) with his cousin, showing her doing the sautes en arabesque sur la pointe en arriere (sorry if I got the term incorrect) instead of the fouettes. It was different from what I was used to, and even though the point (no pun intended) of doing the steps is the same regarding the plot: to entice Siegfried, I thought the hops more of a stunt than the fouettes. But maybe that is because I am more used to seeing the fouettes. IMHO.

The really brave ballerinas used to open the sequence en arabesque, but as they were traveling they would start going into a deep penchee while keeping their eyes fixed on Siegfried-(head pointing up)-and even smiling a la femme fatale. Exotic port de bras was also included, and many times they would get the audience to start screaming "baja, baja...!!!"-(get down, get down...!!)-to which the ballerina's penchee would go as low as they could. That was done in the old times though...(Alonso, Mendez and Charin were the experts on this matter). I even remember a conversation between a crazy friend of mine, a hardcore balletomane, and Alyhaidee Carreno back when she was the main rival of Lorna Feijoo in which he asked her if she, in order to prove herself, could actually START the whole series in deep penchee/6:05 position already and finish them in a 6:00 o'clock, to which she said..."But honey...that's against gravity!!" Ow those were the days...!! :clapping: