This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The Liverpool Everyman Theatre is shortly to be knocked down and rebuilt. The closing production is Macbeth, featuring some of Liverpool's favourite actors.

I saw the performance last night - what can I say other than it was utterly magnificent.

With a "thrust" performance space and minimal set it gave the actors every opportunity to shine and they all took the opportunity with both hands! The set consisted of a split wall with various stairs at the back of the performance area - it gave the impression of a fortress wall from both inside and outside depending on how it was used. With the judicious use of dripping water and dry ice it gave a very good impression of a bleak and dour winter in Scotland. The opening scene with the witches had a giant table hung from the ceiling on which they manipulated figurines (a bit like the control room in the last war where operators pushed the ships into position with long rods). It was incredibly effective. The actors dress was modern but somehow timeless.

David Morrissey gave an intelligent and multi-layered performance of the tortured eponymous anti-hero; it was impossible to take your eyes away from him. Julia Ford gave a beautifully understated performance as Lady M; it was all the more powerful for its understatement and much more effective than the histrionics one sometimes sees. It was above all ane ensemble piece.

I couldn't believe the time when I looked at my watch on the way out - the near 3 hour performance had just flown by. The theatre has posted some photographs on its Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2004304463907.2119045.1132493006&notif_t=like

I must say that I have done well with Shakespeare this year - three great productions - Antony & Cleopatra at the Playhouse, Comedy of Errors (Propeller) at the Lowry and now this truly wonderful production of Macbeth.