This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

The Bright Stream in Los Angeles July 2011 - Casting up!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 iczerman

iczerman

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:50 PM

Saturday matinee.

No trouble getting in and out of the Music Center...Carmageddon turned out to be a non factor.

Sat in Row A of the Founders Circle...stage left was cut off..but not only could I see the dancing..I could see the music making also!

Orchestra VASTLY supeior to the Pathetic....um...Pacific Symphony for ABT's Giselle at OCCPA.

One may have to purchase or youtube Lacotte's "La Sylfide" to appreciate alot of what went on in Act 2.

I always liked Marcelo Gomez..

I admit I am a B I G Gillian Murphy fan..and as such very biased. I am not familiar with " The Bright Stream" Ballet so I don't know the ins and outs..but I thought Gillian was wonderful as the ballerina. Her jete's had
great height and were e f f o r t l e s s. No fouette's however..BUMMER!!!

As to any in-depth analysis...I must defer to ksk04.

******possible perv comment*******

Love Gillian's abs!

#17 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:37 PM

Thank you ksk04. We in NYC are having withdrawal symptoms, your reports are much appreciated.

So true! Thanks, ksk04!

Well I feel the same the rest of the year about everyone's reports! That's why the board is so lovely to read. Now I will just wait patiently until April when I get to see The Firebird before you NYers! :yahoo:

Iczerman--glad to hear about traffic...that's why I went to the first two nights before the shutdown. I thought it would be either really light or total disaster and didn't want to risk the latter.

#18 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:29 PM

Thanks for the posts re the performance(s)etc. And thanks for the traffic reports. As a former long-time SoCal girl, I was wondering how the "Carmageddon" was affecting ABT's box office--or not, glad to say. All weekend, I've been trying to negotiate alternate routes from my former Long Beach home to the LAMC in my head, and waking up very relieved I was still on the East Coast.

#19 Andre Yew

Andre Yew

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:38 AM

I saw the Sunday show, and I think this is the best thing ABT's done in a long time, at least that they've brought out here. It was fun, zany, weird at times, and full of characterful dancing. No abstract dancing trying to evoke one of the Platonic solids here (hello, Mr. Wheeldon): the dancing was very much in character for everyone, and technically very interesting. I think Ratmansky's going to do a lot of good for the company.

The biggest surprise for me was Isabella Boylston as the ballerina, whom I've never seen dance before, and made me literally gasp when she jumped out from the wings at the end of the big Act 1 men's dance. She had the biggest jump this side of Osipova, and hit her pique arabesque balance en pointe, and held it. She was dancing pretty great in general that afternoon, and I'd go see her dance again. I loved all the images formed by the dancers, and laughed at them in spite of myself. The cow, the dog (on a bicycle!), the tractor were all really great, and done in a way that's not stupid. Actually, a lot of it reminded me of La Fille mal Garde. Anyway, Daniil Simkin as the danseur was pretty great as well, and I loved all the little details, but especially the elastics hanging out from his pointe shoes. He had great comic timing, making the audience laugh with the simplest movements (eg. jumping from the floor to the bench the first time he meets the husband).

I thought the peripheral characters were far more interesting than the main characters danced by Xiomara Reyes, and Alexandre Hammoudi, who started out OK, but seemed to lose energy as the show went on. Their Act 2 pas had no energy or feeling to it --- you wondered why these two were even married in the first place.

#20 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:42 PM

The biggest surprise for me was Isabella Boylston as the ballerina, whom I've never seen dance before, and made me literally gasp when she jumped out from the wings at the end of the big Act 1 men's dance. She had the biggest jump this side of Osipova, and hit her pique arabesque balance en pointe, and held it. She was dancing pretty great in general that afternoon, and I'd go see her dance again.

:clapping: :yahoo: :toot: :thanks:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):