This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Ethan Stiefel to withdraw from ABT Met season 2011 performances

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:48 AM

From the company:

ETHAN STIEFEL TO WITHDRAW FROM PERFORMANCES WITH
AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE AT METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE

Ethan Stiefel will withdraw from performances with American Ballet Theatre this Spring, having focused on duties associated with his final year as Dean of Dance at the University of North Carolina School of the Arts. Stiefel, a Principal Dancer with ABT since 1997, was scheduled for six performances during the Company’s 2011 season at the Metropolitan Opera House.

Speaking of his decision, Stiefel said, “Leading the UNCSA School of Dance through a critical period of transition has required the type of energy and attention that has kept me from properly focusing and physically preparing for my upcoming performances. I am truly disappointed not to be performing with my colleagues at ABT and for the New York audiences.”

Stiefel has also withdrawn from scheduled performances during American Ballet Theatre’s tour to Japan in July.

For more information on American Ballet Theatre, please visit www.abt.org

#2 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:31 AM

Steifel's exit leaves lots of openings on the schedule. I guess we'll be seeing a lot more of Cory. :wallbash:

#3 leonid17

leonid17

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:29 PM

Steifel's exit leaves lots of openings on the schedule. I guess we'll be seeing a lot more of Cory. :wallbash:

mmmm

#4 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:14 PM

Drats---I was so looking forward to his 'Franz' in Coppelia---the perfect heir to Frederic Franklin in the role.

#5 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:12 PM

Am I the only one who thinks this is a little ridiculous? He didn't see this coming at all? What happens when he starts up with his commitments in New Zealand? I have liked Stiefel quite a bit but between this and his recurring knee issues, it would seem enough is enough. Give up the principal spot for one of the boys chomping at the bit for a chance, rather than making everyone repeatedly scramble at the last minute for casting subs.

#6 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:17 PM

Drat. I'm in ATM's boat ... except I talked 3 guests into coming as well. I hope Steifel's replacement makes much of the opportunity.... and I see from the notice that it will be Simkin.

Has he danced with Osipova much yet?

#7 RUKen

RUKen

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 06:08 AM

The casting changes have been posted on the ABT website:

May 21 - Don Quixote: Cory Stearns (with Gillian Murphy)
May 28 - Giselle: David Hallberg (with Alina Cojocaru)
June 11 and 20 - Coppelia: Daniil Simkin (with Natalia Osipova)
June 29 - Swan Lake: Marcelo Gomes (with Paloma Herrera)
July 9 - The Sleeping Beauty: Marcelo Gomes (with Gillian Murphy)

ETA: After posting the above message, I saw that abatt had posted these changes yesterday on another thread in the ABT folder.

#8 Slant

Slant

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:21 AM

I am totally in ksk04's corner on this. Can't you plan ahead, see this coming. Seems like either poor communication and coordination, or an artist just blowing off a constituency that has supported him for so many, many years. As the old saying says - "Don't let the door hit you in ass on your way out, Ethan!" Very ungracious exit from ABT.

#9 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,329 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:23 AM

How can I blame him given the number of times I've overestimated what I can do or made a commitment when it seemed like a good/feasible idea at the time?

#10 Slant

Slant

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:28 AM

How can I blame him given the number of times I've overestimated what I can do or made a commitment when it seemed like a good/feasible idea at the time?

It's called being a professional. It's not like these responsibilities just cropped up on him. It seems like an early exit to New Zealand and his heart and soul is not livmg up to his professional commitments at ABT. I emphasize the word "professional." he'll, Roberto Bolle comes back to do Giselle and Lady of the Camellias. Bravo to Roberto for keeping his ties active.

#11 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,329 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:00 AM

I'm a professional, too, and I've made mistakes by overestimating. I'm disappointed that he overestimated. Sadly, a number of these decisions have to be made far enough in advance that when the type of opportunity a dancer needs to transition to the next phase of his or her career, there isn't a lot of wiggle room.

The link I see between North Carolina and New Zealand is that he had to tie everything up, and ABT got caught in the middle.

#12 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:02 AM

ABT seems to put up with a lot of absences by Stiefel related to his other job, but at the same time Angel Corella has been frozen out of ABT because of his other responsibilities with his own company. The audience goes nuts when Corella performs, and he puts butts in seats at the MET. He is only scheduled for one performance. I don't understand the logic here. I have to agree with the post above that notes that management would not do anything to piss off Ethan because the company needs Gillian. I also think that Stiefel's best years, in terms of the quality of his dancing, were actually at NYCB, not at ABT. I didn't plan any of my ABT performances around Stiefel, so I don't have a strong feeling either way about his cancellation, other than that it is inconsiderate. In fact, I'm looking forward to seeing Gomes as Herrera's partner in SL and SB. The biggest disappointment is that Cory is now doing the Don Q with Murphy. I can't even imagine him in that role. He is more the princely type, and certainly not a bravura technician, in my opinion. Let's just hope neither Hallberg nor Gomes get injured.

Changing topics slightly, I think its callous for ABT to schedule Stella as Myrta in the performance where Hee Seo will be dancing Giselle w. Hallberg. Of course, Stella was scheduled to do Giselle for 2 years with Hallberg, but it never happened due to Stella's injuries. From all appearances, Hee Seo seems to be prone to injuries herself. Why not give Stella the chance she has earned and let her do Giselle? If not, why rub her nose in it by casting her as Myrta in the Hee Seo Giselle?

#13 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:32 PM

ABT seems to put up with a lot of absences by Stiefel related to his other job, but at the same time Angel Corella has been frozen out of ABT because of his other responsibilities with his own company. The audience goes nuts when Corella performs, and he puts butts in seats at the MET. He is only scheduled for one performance. I don't understand the logic here. I have to agree with the post above that notes that management would not do anything to piss off Ethan because the company needs Gillian. I also think that Stiefel's best years, in terms of the quality of his dancing, were actually at NYCB, not at ABT. I didn't plan any of my ABT performances around Stiefel, so I don't have a strong feeling either way about his cancellation, other than that it is inconsiderate. In fact, I'm looking forward to seeing Gomes as Herrera's partner in SL and SB. The biggest disappointment is that Cory is now doing the Don Q with Murphy. I can't even imagine him in that role. He is more the princely type, and certainly not a bravura technician, in my opinion. Let's just hope neither Hallberg nor Gomes get injured.

Changing topics slightly, I think its callous for ABT to schedule Stella as Myrta in the performance where Hee Seo will be dancing Giselle w. Hallberg. Of course, Stella was scheduled to do Giselle for 2 years with Hallberg, but it never happened due to Stella's injuries. From all appearances, Hee Seo seems to be prone to injuries herself. Why not give Stella the chance she has earned and let her do Giselle? If not, why rub her nose in it by casting her as Myrta in the Hee Seo Giselle?

I do hope that Hee Seo will be well enough to dance in early June. This" Giselle with David H. slot" seemed unlucky for debutants.Sarah should be ready ,just in case.

#14 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:09 PM

Bravo to Roberto for keeping his ties active.

Wasn't it Bolle who backed out of ABT performances last year "due to injury" only to dance a few days later in Europe?

#15 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:47 AM

Yes,indeed Amy - I had the same recollection about Bolle's early departure last year. I'm sorry to say it left me with a bad impression of him and wondering about his commitment to ABT. After all Gomes and Hallberg can't be expected to cover all of these kinds of absences without risking injury to themselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):