This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Spring Season 2011 - Week 1 Casting

I think they are pushing Chase Finaly way too much. I think rushing him along. Okay, he's a fresh face, but so what! I don't think he has the polish or maturity yet to take all these lead roles. And where is Joaquin de Luz? He's not getting roles. I've been getting a bad vibe about casting at NYCB since the winter season.

I think they are pushing Chase Finaly way too much. I think rushing him along. Okay, he's a fresh face, but so what! I don't think he has the polish or maturity yet to take all these lead roles.

I have to agree. Finlay has a lot of promise, but he sometimes looks a little green on stage when he is given difficult principal roles. Certainly, I hope he does an excellent job in Apollo. We'll see.

For your convenience:

NEW YORK CITY BALLET

PRINCIPAL CASTING FOR THE WEEK OF MAY 3 – 8, 2011

BALANCHINE BLACK & WHITE WEEK

TUESDAY EVENING, MAY 3, 7:30 PM (Conductor: Karoui)

SQUARE DANCE:
M. Fairchild, Huxley

AGON:
Whelan, Marcovici, Veyette, Hankes, Laracey, Reichlen, Ramasar, Hall

STRAVINSKY VIOLIN CONCERTO:
Hyltin, la Cour, Kowroski, Ramasar [solo violin: Delmoni]

WEDNESDAY EVENING, MAY 4, 7:30 PM (Conductor: Otranto)

EPISODES:
A. Stafford, *T. Angle, Reichlen, la Cour, Whelan, Marcovici, Mearns, J. Stafford+

LE TOMBEAU DE COUPERIN:
NYCB Ensemble

SYMPHONY IN THREE MOVEMENTS:
Taylor, T. Peck, Lowery, J. Angle, Ulbricht, Suozzi

THURSDAY EVENING, MAY 5, 8 PM (Conductor: Sill)

MONUMENTUM PRO GESUALDO:
Kowroski, Askegard

MOVEMENTS FOR PIANO AND ORCHESTRA:
Kowroski, Marcovici [solo piano: Moverman]

APOLLO:
*Finlay, Hyltin+, T. Peck+, Scheller+

THE FOUR TEMPERAMENTS:
Wellington, Tworzyanski, King, Peiffer, LeCrone, J. Peck, Garcia+, Somogyi, T. Angle, la Cour, Reichlen [solo piano: Walters]

FRIDAY EVENING, MAY 6, 8 PM (Conductor: Otranto)

Taylor, T. Peck, Lowery, J. Angle, Ulbricht, Suozzi

DUO CONCERTANT:
*M. Fairchild, *Finlay [solo violin: Hong, Solo piano: Grant]

LE TOMBEAU DE COUPERIN:
NYCB Ensemble

STRAVINSKY VIOLIN CONCERTO:
Hyltin, la Cour, Kowroski, Ramasar [solo violin: Delmoni]

SATURDAY MATINEE, MAY 7, 2 PM (Conductor: Karoui)

APOLLO:
Finlay, Hyltin, T. Peck, Scheller

SQUARE DANCE:
Bouder, Stanley

AGON:
Whelan, Marcovici, Veyette, Hankes, Laracey, Reichlen, Ramasar, Hall

SATURDAY EVENING, MAY 7, 8 PM

EPISODES:
A. Stafford, Suozzi+, Reichlen, la Cour, Whelan, Marcovici, Mearns, J. Stafford [Conductor: Otranto]

CONCERTO BAROCCO:
Kowroski, *Mearns, Askegard [Conductor: McAdams, Solo violin: Beroukhim, Kim]

THE FOUR TEMPERAMENTS:
Wellington, Tworzyanski, King, Peiffer, LeCrone, J. Peck, Garcia, Somogyi, T. Angle, la Cour, Reichlen [Conductor: Sill]

SUNDAY MATINEE, MAY 8, 3 PM

CONCERTO BAROCCO:
Kowroski, *Mearns, Askegard [Conductor: Sill]

MONUMENTUM PRO GESUALDO:
Reichlen, la Cour [Conductor: Sill]

MOVEMENTS FOR PIANO AND ORCHESTRA:
*Reichlen, Marcovici [Conductor: Sill, Solo piano: Moverman]

DUO CONCERTANT:
*M. Fairchild, *Finlay [solo violin: Hong, Solo piano: Grant]

A. Stafford, Hyltin, LeCrone, Ramasar, Hendrickson, Scordato [Conductor: Otranto]

* First Time in Role

+NY Debut

PROGRAM AND CASTING SUBJECT TO CHANGE (04/20/11)

For changes and updates, check abatt's link in Post #1.

I'm also eagerly waiting to see Tombeau again, Kathleen. No, it has never been a staple. Unfortunately, it has historically been underrehearsed. The last time I saw it, though, it was in good shape, so I have reason to hope that it gets the respect it deserves this time around, too. :beg:

I'm also eagerly waiting to see Tombeau again, Kathleen. No, it has never been a staple. Unfortunately, it has historically been underrehearsed. The last time I saw it, though, it was in good shape, so I have reason to hope that it gets the respect it deserves this time around, too. :beg:

The very best performance of Tombeau I've ever seen was at an SAB workshop - everyone looked well-rehearsed and happy to be dancing. It was a real treat.

I love to see promising young corps members given a crack at marquee principal roles and can't wait to see what Finlay does with Apollo. Peter Boal's and Nikolaj Hübbe's are large shoes to fill, though.
Me too. :)

The best Apollo I ever saw was one Peter Boal did with the Suzanne Farrell Ballet at NJPAC, when he was probably at that magical juncture when a dancer's technique is still very strong and his artistic insight mature. He did not arrive there overnight, and I would not expect an Apollo of that caliber from Finlay yet, although I have high hopes for a creditable debut, something to build upon. I'm glad he's getting a shot at this role so early in his career. Gives him plenty of time to let it ripen.

I think they are pushing Chase Finaly way too much. I think rushing him along. Okay, he's a fresh face, but so what! I don't think he has the polish or maturity yet to take all these lead roles.

I have to agree. Finlay has a lot of promise, but he sometimes looks a little green on stage when he is given difficult principal roles. Certainly, I hope he does an excellent job in Apollo. We'll see.

I predicted Chase Finlay for the role of Apollo, and wrote it on the Swan Lake thread on February 24:

"Here's a dark horse prediction: Chase Finley has been given many prominent roles. I suspect he's being prepared for Apollo. He'd make a perfect Apollo as his technique sharpens and he gains more performance experience."

To which abatt replied: "Finlay is certainly a future candidate for Apollo and many other major roles. He may even be learning the role as an understudy now. However, he is too young and not ready for a major role of that stature at this juncture."

And I responded: "Yes, but he is all potential."

Since I just happened to have tickets to this performance (bought way in advance!) I can't wait to see him and report on his performance, and Sterling's as well.

Casting is up for week two. Here's the link- http://www.nycballet.com/nycb/content/casting.aspx?id=14002

They are using the same cast for each performance of 7DS (Whelan, Mearns, Hall). I didn't realize they were bringing in famed conductor Paul Gemignani for 7DS. Looking forward to it.

Our new leads in the final section of Vienna Waltzes will be Kowrowski/Askegard (Askegard isn't new to the part) and Mearns/Marcovici. :clapping: I've never seen anyone other than Kistler and Nichols in the ballerina role. I expect that both Mearns and Kowrowski will be marvelous.

Robbie Fairchild is back in action in Week 2, doing Duo Concertant w. Hyltin. Kathryn Morgan is also back in action, doing the polka section of VW.

Bouder will debut in the Voices of Spring section w. Garcia. That's PERFECT casting. Can't wait.

Please don't go out on strike, folks.