This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

That was lovely! I had meant to only glance through at the photographs, and ended up reading the whole thing and thoroughly enjoying it. :)

Me too! What an amazing network of colleagues and friends, over several generations. Young Jacques/ old Jacques; his children as kids/ as young dancers; a span that goes from Kent through Farrell through Kistler to now. Marvelous.

I don't think the picture of the d'Amboise daughters as SAB students in a ballet are seen in A Midsummer Night's Dream, as the caption indicates. Those headpieces were far different from those shown and the bugs didn't wear skirts. They had a sort of tunic thing. My guess is Coppélia.

right you are, Mel. the b&w photo of the d'Amboise girls on NYCB's stage shows them costumed for the "Waltz of the Golden Hours" in third act of the Balanchine/Danilova COPPELIA, not as fairies in A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM. (the waltz number was re-costumed over time, initially the 24 girl dancers were dressed by Ter-Arutunian in finely pleated golden fabric, with slightly bell-shapped skirts, later, but pretty soon after, they were re-costumed (by Karinska) in the tutus shown in the picture, in pale pink.