This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Darcy Bussell - "Manhandled"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:02 PM

I recently watched a program about Darcy Bussell, parts of which disturbed me or made me uncomfortable. She discusses having to be "manhandled" during a rehearsal for "Manon". Then, she and a Russian dancer are interviewed about the propriety or impropriety of his kisses during a rehearsal. Have any dancers discussed in interviews or books issues such as this? I am going to post a similar question on BT4D.

Maybe I am just now responding to it because I recently read an article that struck a raw nerve, about how people have to put up with unwanted touches, glances, inquiries, and other behaviors at work, solely to be able to continue to have a job and pay the rent. I cannot imagine being in a profession that demands constant, unwanted physical connections or attention. I have long wondered how dancers endure it.

#2 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:22 PM

Do you have more of a quote on that? Doesn't her part as Manon involve "manhandling" as part of the plot? Or did she mean outside of rehearsal?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):