This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

RDB season 2011/12

Next year's season has just been announced - the main events are:

The Lesson/La Sylphide 17 September

Bournonville Fantasi*/Donizetti Variations/Etudes 30 September

The Concert/The Cage/Other Dances/West Side Story Suite 29 October

Nutcracker (Balanchine) 3 December

A Folk Tale 19 January

The Lesson/The Concert 29 February

The Lady of the Camellias (Neumeier) 30 March

Apollo/Agon/Symphony in Three Movements 27 April

* Presumably this is Bournonville Variations under a different name

_____ No! It's a new piece, for the women this time_____________

Lots to like...

There's also new work, children's ballet, summer ballet, visiting companies - details on RDB website

They might reasonably consider changing their name to New York City Ballet - Copenhagen campus . . .

The RDB has a strong Balanchine tradition in their own right and these works are parts of it. We have had Apollon since 1930. The 2010-11 season only include Serenade as part of an outreach programme. The season before had Symphony in C and Serenade. This is certainly not overfeeding, as if one could get too much Balanchine. Re. the Nutcracker, If you have seen the last two RDB versions you would not critisise Hübbe for bringing on the best Nutcracker available.

Hübbe like every other ballet master is struggling to find good new choreography. Until more good choreographers emerges I certainly prefare to see good choreography rather than the low quality works avaliable.

Re. the NYCB link I applaud Hübbe for bringing more Robbins to RDB, as Robbins style rally suits the company.

They might reasonably consider changing their name to New York City Ballet - Copenhagen campus . . .

The RDB has a strong Balanchine tradition in their own right and these works are parts of it. We have had Apollon since 1930. The 2010-11 season only include Serenade as part of an outreach programme. The season before had Symphony in C and Serenade. This is certainly not overfeeding, as if one could get too much Balanchine. Re. the Nutcracker, If you have seen the last two RDB versions you would not critisise Hübbe for bringing on the best Nutcracker available.

Hübbe like every other ballet master is struggling to find good new choreography. Until more good choreographers emerges I certainly prefare to see good choreography rather than the low quality works avaliable.

Re. the NYCB link I applaud Hübbe for bringing more Robbins to RDB, as Robbins style rally suits the company.

I'm afraid we'll just have to agree to disagree! :wink:

As Eva notes in her discussion of the new season on her DVT blog, there's a programme of modern works right at the end - it somehow got missed off the list I was looking at yesterday.

It includes

Chroma (Wayne McGregor)

Shutters Shut (Lightfoot Leon)

DEW (Tina Tarpgaard)

and so far unnamed works by Yuri Possokov and Patrick Delcroix

I have to say I'd really like to see what the Danes make of Chroma.

Also, I think I now finally understand what Bournonville Fantasi is: it's Bournonville Variations (which is just for men) plus a new section for women. I think.

.....I think I now finally understand what Bournonville Fantasi is: it's Bournonville Variations (which is just for men) plus a new section for women. I think.

At first I thought that it might be the adult troupe's version of the RDB School's 'B' is for Bournonville which is, in effect, a Bournonville Variations with some of the numbers performed simultaneously by 2 or 3 dancers.