This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Dancing with the Stars, Season 12

I saw them, Helene. I thought they were superb together. Cheryl looked so sultry, I wasn't even sure it was her in the beginning (she had long, loose hair for the dance). Louis van Amstel is cream of the crop, so to see him dancing with a pro is always a treat.

(The Australian singer filled in for the intended singer with only a short, same-day rehearsal. The one who was to sing that song [Adele] had a problem with her voice and could only sing low, which she did later that night.)

The clip's on youtube already:

Cheryl and Louis

Edited by Marga

And your final finishing order:

1st Hines/Kym

2nd Kirstie/Maks

3rd Chelsea/Mark

Congratulation to Kym, who joins Mark Ballas (w/ Kristi and Shawn), Cheryl Burke (w/ Drew and Emmitt), Derek Hough (w/ Brooke and Jennifer), and Julianne Hough (w/ Apolo and Helio [barf!]) as a two time-winner. (Kym has won w/ Donny and now Hines.)

Poor Maks -- he has become the Susan Lucci of Dancing with the Stars!

I thought he finally had it with Kirstie Alley. I am pretty surprised that Johnson and Ward won -- I thought that Alley would have had a bigger fan base, but I guess I underestimated football fans. I'm also surprised at how disappointed I feel, although I've really loved Johnson and Ward's simpatico partnership throughout, and I appreciate how he actually managed to lead her, or at least look like he was really leading her.

There was a TV interview with Chmerkovskij and Alley aired before the final in which he answered the interviewer's question and said that it wouldn't be possible to top this season's partnership, and he implied that he wouldn't be back next season, if at all. That's what it sounded like when he thanked all of his partners last night, but I'm sure he would have liked to out with the win.

I read a suggestion that Alley should return as the co-host with Tom Bergeron, which I think is genius.

I read a suggestion that Alley should return as the co-host with Tom Bergeron, which I think is genius.

:lightbulb:GREAT idea!

I liked all three finalists but would have suffered a mild pang of disappointment had Hines and Kym not won. I am always surprised and delighted when athletes (the skaters excluded) out-perform the professional performers. This season, Hines' charm and humility really got to me, right from Week 1. :yahoo:

While the quarter finals and semi finals were votes based on popularity, I felt the finale vote was based on performance. Truly, Hines / Kym delivered the best performance to an enterpretation of "Drumline" and its marching band homage to The Jackson 5 and 1970's R&B. Kym's dancing presentation could sell ice to an eskimo, but the key was that Hines really kept up with her, he was light on his feet and gave an impression of ease, and natural movement.

I figured Kirsty / Max would be in the top 2, based on Kirsty's affiliation with her church, and their (ahem) pattern of passionately supporting their own. Read between the lines as you like. But she and Max *tanked* the finale! What an awful dance, it looked ragged, lacked dancing content, flair or purpose of style. Afterwards, I kept wondering "what was Max thinking?" but then I remembered that he has tanked many finales. Think of Marie Osmond and that stupid doll routine. Or Mel B and that horrible "street" dance. The only finale I liked was his dance with Laila Ali. His partners, the ones with at least a chance of doing well, always receive praise for technical ability. So I think he must be an excellent technical coach. But he seems to hit this wall of creativity when it comes to the finale, and what the audience is looking for.

I figured Kirsty / Max would be in the top 2, based on Kirsty's affiliation with her church, and their (ahem) pattern of passionately supporting their own. Read between the lines as you like.

I also think Kirstie had a lot of supporters who, themselves, may not be in the best shape, and admired Kirstie for her work ethic and good cheer.

But she and Max *tanked* the finale! What an awful dance, it looked ragged, lacked dancing content, flair or purpose of style. Afterwards, I kept wondering "what was Max thinking?" but then I remembered that he has tanked many finales. Think of Marie Osmond and that stupid doll routine. Or Mel B and that horrible "street" dance. The only finale I liked was his dance with Laila Ali. His partners, the ones with at least a chance of doing well, always receive praise for technical ability. So I think he must be an excellent technical coach. But he seems to hit this wall of creativity when it comes to the finale, and what the audience is looking for.

Agree w/ you that Maks can't put together a free dance to save his life. To this day, I still believe the free dance he created for Mel B. in Season 5 handed the trophy to Helio (barf!)

Note: In fairness to Maks, Marie's infamous doll dance of death was with Johnathan.

Maybe this has already been addressed, but with regard to how many mirrorball trophies the pros have won, doesn't Derek Hough lead the pack with three? Besides winning with Brooke and Jennifer, didn't he win with Nicole somebody or other from the Pussycat Dolls? (I'm an old person. I don't know Nicole's last name).

Maybe this has already been addressed, but with regard to how many mirrorball trophies the pros have won, doesn't Derek Hough lead the pack with three? Besides winning with Brooke and Jennifer, didn't he win with Nicole somebody or other from the Pussycat Dolls? (I'm an old person. I don't know Nicole's last name).

You're right -- I completely forgot about Nicole Scherzinger!

Derek, along w/ Kym, is one of three three-time winners. However, Derek won all of his mirror ball trophies on the American version of the show while Kym won two of hers on the American version and one on the Australian version.