This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Elizabeth Taylor, RIP

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#31 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,728 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:19 PM

The auction of Taylor's jewelry breaks sales records.

The estimates, which proved to be laughably, almost perversely low, were apparently derived only from the intrinsic value of the metals and minerals involved. The crucial but impossible-to-quantify factor of stardust was not included in the equation.

Proving that the extravagantly rich are not immune to the charms of secondhand celebrity, the bidding maintained a giddy pace through the night. To cite just one memorable example, the famous La Peregrina pearl, dangling from a necklace of pearls, diamonds and rubies by Cartier, caused ripples of murmurs and applause when it sold for $11.8 million, almost four times the estimate of $3 million.

Related.

Among buyers, there also will be those who just want to own, and wear, a piece of history. Reality TV star Kim Kardashian said she paid $64,900 for three jade bracelets, telling InStyle.com, "I believe they carry her spirit".

More.

Meanwhile, during last night’s couture and art portion of the auction, a signed Warhol print of Taylor went for a whopping $662,500 after a spirited bidding war. It had been estimated to sell for about $50,000.

#32 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:12 PM

sadly, my sugardaddy didn't buy me anything. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):