This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

NYC Ballet considers social media guidelinesWall Street Journal

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 Stecyk

Stecyk

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:03 PM

In a tangential and somewhat similar vein, John Galliano lost his court decision that he was unfairly dismissed.

John Galliano is a famous haute couture clothing designer. He made inappropriate remarks at a bar one night that cost him his job. Here's a New York Times article Dior Fires John Galliano After Bigotry Complaints. Today the website Fashionista published an article John Galliano Loses Unfair Dismissal Case Against Dior and His Namesake Label.

#62 Stecyk

Stecyk

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:23 PM

I expect that we'll see more high profile mishaps that are recorded in some fashion.

My recent posts in this thread have been meant as a conversation starter. What is permissible and what isn't? Is it only work related conduct that matters, or does our any (or all) of our conduct matter? Has technology and social media made a difference? And, now that almost everyone carries a cell phone with a camera and can upload mishaps to a social site, has that changed our environment or behavior? These are bigger questions than I can answer.

I have always found topics of this sort interesting. That is, there seems to be changes afoot. What does it mean to us? I suspect in prior years, your private life was your private life. Now, we seem to be witnessing a blurring of private and work lives.

Unless there is something dramatic, I will let this topic go.

#63 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,476 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:32 PM

I don't think there's any standard yet, to be honest.  I think that employers are playing it by ear.  It also depends on the industry. 

If a ballet company is trying to be edgy, it might encourage more outre things on social media, especially if there's a token outre person or two.  If it's more conservative, the same behavior would be frowned upon.

#64 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:29 PM

Regarding Galliano, Vanity Fair published an article that examined his abuse / addiction to certain chemical concoctions.  Here is the curtailed version: 

http://www.vanityfai...rview-exclusive

#65 Stecyk

Stecyk

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:29 AM

Regarding Galliano, Vanity Fair published an article that examined his abuse / addiction to certain chemical concoctions.  Here is the curtailed version: 

http://www.vanityfai...rview-exclusive

Thank you for highlighting the Vanity Fair article. I am surprised that I missed it earlier.

I recall reading case studies, although different from the Galliano circumstances, about employers and employees drinking at off-site parties, and then bad things happening. Usually, the employer was held accountable.

As Helene mentioned, employers are coming to grips with social media and, probably too, on how other outside activities might affect an employer's reputation. I am sure that business, law, and ethics case studies are being now being written. This whole area is an interesting field of study.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):