This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

DanceView, Winter 2011

We have a lot of new members on the board right now, and I’d like to "alert!" you all to a wonderful dance magazine, DanceView, put out by Ballet Alert! founder and host Alexandra Tomalonis. The print big sister of danceviewtimes, DanceView is a 47-page quarterly publication in standard magazine size, with interviews, season reviews, descriptions of Balanchine Initiative coaching sessions (not written about elsewhere, that I’m aware of) and book reviews, accompanied by many, often large, black and white photos. The articles are long enough - 11 pages on the Bolshoi in London, 7 on NYCB in this issue – for the writers to be detailed and reflective, and for the reader to luxuriate in them. (I find them delightful bedtime reading).

The contents of the current issue are as follows:

Ratmansky’s Legacy: The Bolshoi in London, July-August 2010, by Marc Haegeman

Poster Boy: An interview with Alban Lendorf, rising star of the Royal Danish Ballet, by Eva Kistrup

Notes on Violette Verdy and Helgi Tomasson Coaching “La Source,” by Leigh Witchel

Nuts and Mice and Bees: American Ballet Theatre’s new “Nutcracker,” by Mary Cargill

Hits and Misses, Marketing and Performance: The New York City Ballet’s Fall Season, by Carol Pardo

New Books: “Diaghilev and the Golden Age of the Ballets Russes, 1909-1929”; and “The Oxford Dictionary of Dance, Second Edition,” by Horst Koegler

Reports from London and Copenhagen on The Royal Ballet and the Royal Danish Ballet, and Jonathan Burros and Matteo Fargion at Dance Umbrella, by Jane Simpson

From San Francisco: Diablo Ballet, Zaccho Dance Theatre, Lines Ballet, Hubbard Street Dance Chicago, Carminos Flamencos and Oakland Ballet Company, by Rita Felciano

For subscription information, go here: Subscribe

George Jackson's perceptive and informed descriptions/criticisms of the "Maximum India" Festival are excellent for their content, writing and point of view. I was especially grateful for his request that this kind of "Festival" be repeated, as there is a significant audience in the D.C. area.

The same is true for New York, and it would be great to have performances of Indian dance at great venues in NY as well.

Thank you, Mr. Jackson! (And DanceviewTimes for featuring his work on this much ignored topic!)