This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

POB Headed to NYC in 2012

POB experts, who are from POB are must see, and whom to avoid. Thanks

Definatly Aurelie Dupont, Josua Hoffalt, Nicholas Le Riche Clairemarie Osta, Ludmila Pagliero, Jeremie Belingard, Isabella Ciarvola,Mathias Heymann, Matilde Frostey, Karl Paquette. Marie Agnes Gillot. (Must See) ENJOY.

An 'alternate answer' to YID's query:

Hmmm...not sure that I would want to see one of the near-retirement dancers in the leads. I'd go for Dorothee Gilbert's Giselle or Ganio's Albrecht. My only Giselle in DC will be tonight's 3rd performance at the Kennedy Center. Yes, it stars one of the 'veteran Giselles' - Dupont - but opposite Ganio's Albrecht and the new 'young couple of choice,' Heloise Bourdon and Axel Ibot, in Peasant pdd. Dupont seems to have maintained her facility after 22 yrs on the roster, e.g., her Psyche last fall was fantastic; Osta so-so. Gillot is one of the best Myrtas ever, even though she, too, is in 'upper 30s.' Let's see how they do tonight.

This seems to be a grand tour of the etoiles who graduated in the 1988-1990 period (LeRiche, Dupont, Osta, Ciaravola, Gillot). Artistry over technical facility....not always a bad thing. smile.png

Playbills for 2 of the programs, with dancer bios and complete casting (including corps), for the Lincoln Center season are available for PDF download:

20th Century French Masters

Giselle

Thank you, mussell. Big change. Hey, hey, hey...the 'super Peasant PDD couple' from the Washington, DC performances is now on tap for two of the Giselles in NYC: Heloise Bourdon and "my" Axel Ibot!!!!!! July 14 @ 2pm and July 18 @ 8pm. Not-to-be-missed.

Playbills for 2 of the programs, with dancer bios and complete casting (including corps), for the Lincoln Center season are available for PDF download:

20th Century French Masters

Giselle

Thank you, mussell. Big change. Hey, hey, hey...the 'super Peasant PDD couple' from the Washington, DC performances is now on tap for two of the Giselles in NYC: Heloise Bourdon and "my" Axel Ibot!!!!!! July 14 @ 2pm and July 18 @ 8pm. Not-to-be-missed.

The casting posted on Lincoln Center website and the one on the playbills are different. Your Ibot is on the playbills but not on the website, so I don't know which one to believe. I just keep my fingers crossed the casting on the playbills are accurate.

As a practical matter, I think ABT is not looking to hire someone who is 39 years old, even if it is for only one ballet. McKenzie seems interested in trying out new talent at ABT where there is a potential for a long term relationship with the company if things work out. I understand that he took on Kobborg, who is no youngster, but that seems to have been part of a package deal to get Cojocaru.Is it customary for a dancer to contact an artistic director to arange a one time guest appearance? That seems like a very bold (crass) move on her part.

Dupont has (had?) an agent. I don't know where he fits in the negotiating process. Perhaps that's part of the problem of her not dancing overseas. I assumed Dupont already met McKenzie and wasn't simply emailing him - or ABT's general email box! - out of the blue. I can't imagine her doing something so forward, but who knows.

I do think it would be worth ABT's while to consider Dupont. She is definitely a "name," and while she is 39 injury-wise I think she is in better shape than Cojocaru. Also hadn't Cojocaru had agreed to guest with ABT before they picked up Kobborg? I thought he was a last minute sub.

Hopefully some other American AD will see her interview and invite her to come guest.

Yes, originally (two seasons ago, I think) it was just Cojocaru, and Kobborg was a last minute sub in Giselle as Irina's partner. (This was one of the numerous times that Max cancelled at the last minute.) However, this season it developed into a regular gig for him, not a last minute invite to substitute. (Cojocaru had done a Bayadere with ABT a long time ago (maybe ten years ago) and I think Angel was her partner then.)

Dupont has (had?) an agent. I don't know where he fits in the negotiating process. Perhaps that's part of the problem of her not dancing overseas. I assumed Dupont already met McKenzie and wasn't simply emailing him - or ABT's general email box! - out of the blue. I can't imagine her doing something so forward, but who knows.

I do think it would be worth ABT's while to consider Dupont. She is definitely a "name," and while she is 39 injury-wise I think she is in better shape than Cojocaru. Also hadn't Cojocaru had agreed to guest with ABT before they picked up Kobborg? I thought he was a last minute sub.

Hopefully some other American AD will see her interview and invite her to come guest.

One documentary I watched said that Sylvie Guillem did not have an agent, and booked her own performances. I have seen other dancers discuss their lack of agents. Do they all need introductions to apply for a position? Obviously, this would be preferable strategically, but does initiating communications directly constitute a breach of etiquette in this community, especially for a star?

Great interview with Aurélie Dupont by Gia Kourlas in Time Out New York: http://www.timeout.c...-shining-etoile

I cannot believe ABT turned her down as a guest! WTF! Ok, maybe not for Onegin (not Dupont's best role IMO), but good grief, get her to guest in another role! What is Kevin McKenzie thinking?

I have to defend MacKenzie.

Here is Dupont in her own words (bolded text is mine):

About one month ago, I e-mailed ABT [American Ballet Theatre], which is a company I love. And I know that ABT invites dancers from everywhere. They have a lot of Russians, they have a lot of Royal Ballet, they have many, many dancers and very good dancers. So I sent a little e-mail and said, “You’re performing Eugene Onegin by [John] Cranko, and I just did it in Paris, and I love dancing this ballet. I don’t know if it’s possible, but I would love to join the company and dance with you.” And they said no, that they were not interested.

And:

I would love to have just one performance. Just to be in New York and to be with ABT, and to be on an American stage in this wonderful company. I think they have a lot of dancers, so it’s difficult to leave a performance for a French dancer. It’s okay; I understand.

We don't know when the exact "one month ago" occurred but, regardless, what did she want them to do -- toss aside a scheduled dancer to accomodate her? ABT's scheduling is tumultuous in the best of times; the last two New York seasons have been especially so. Throwing a 39-year-old ballerina with no connection to the company into the mix at this time would have caused even more headaches than normal.

I think it would be great if ABT had her (and Belingard) as guests but -- geez -- give management some lead time!

In addition to her age and timing -- a request coming out of left field -- I feel that Dupont may have had a better result had she first approached Ardani Artists, which appreas to be the intermediary between ABT and guest artists. Most of the recent 'guest hires' have some Ardani connection, e.g., Kobborg (and Bolle?) having participated in 'Kings of Dance' tours and such. Obviously, all of the Russians appear to have an Ardani connection.

Have any POB dancers ever been represented by Ardani? (Legris or Letestu/Martinez maybe?)

Last night I attended the opening night performance of POB at the Koch Theater. I had never seen any of the works on the program before. Suite en Blanc is a lovely classical ballet that held me in rapt attention. (Bullon was replaced, but I couldn't hear the name of the dancer who replaced him.) In particular, Gillot was captivating in La Cigarette. Dupont and Pech were ethereal in the Adagio and Gilbert was fantastic in the Flute section. There were some coordination issues in the performances of the men in the pas de Cinq, but I enjoyed seeing Renavand. I was very impressed by the unison and accuracy of the female corps.

L'Arlesienne had quite a few dull patches in the choregraphy, but J. Belingard did a great job. I had not read any synopsis in advance, so a lot of what was going on dramatically didn't make sense until the final moments.

Nicholas LeRiche performed the lead in Bolero. At the outset, I was a little bored, but as the performance proceeded I was transfixed by the entire cast, and whatever odd ritual they were enacting. LeRich has the magnetism and sex appeal to hold your attention. (Afterwards, I made a little wish list of other men I would love to see in the role. They included Marcelo Gomes and Roberto Bolle.) I'm not sure how I will like this ballet with a female lead.

The house seemed sold to the rafters. I even saw people up in the fifth ring.

Great interview with Aurélie Dupont by Gia Kourlas in Time Out New York: http://www.timeout.c...-shining-etoile

I cannot believe ABT turned her down as a guest! WTF! Ok, maybe not for Onegin (not Dupont's best role IMO), but good grief, get her to guest in another role! What is Kevin McKenzie thinking?

I have to defend MacKenzie.

Here is Dupont in her own words (bolded text is mine):

About one month ago, I e-mailed ABT [American Ballet Theatre], which is a company I love. And I know that ABT invites dancers from everywhere. They have a lot of Russians, they have a lot of Royal Ballet, they have many, many dancers and very good dancers. So I sent a little e-mail and said, “You’re performing Eugene Onegin by [John] Cranko, and I just did it in Paris, and I love dancing this ballet. I don’t know if it’s possible, but I would love to join the company and dance with you.” And they said no, that they were not interested.

And:

I would love to have just one performance. Just to be in New York and to be with ABT, and to be on an American stage in this wonderful company. I think they have a lot of dancers, so it’s difficult to leave a performance for a French dancer. It’s okay; I understand.

We don't know when the exact "one month ago" occurred but, regardless, what did she want them to do -- toss aside a scheduled dancer to accomodate her? ABT's scheduling is tumultuous in the best of times; the last two New York seasons have been especially so. Throwing a 39-year-old ballerina with no connection to the company into the mix at this time would have caused even more headaches than normal.

I think it would be great if ABT had her (and Belingard) as guests but -- geez -- give management some lead time!

Casting for next year already drafted even before the current Met season, I think it's the same case at POB, she should have known better. It's not possible to accommodate a late guesting request, it's not fair to other dancers. Also, isn't it POB has a very strict guesting policy for its dancers? I really hope ABT will find a spot for her before she retires.

BTW, I spotted the Kissingers, Bernard Tschumi, Baryshnikov, Caroline Herrera at the opening night.

Stephane Bullion was replaced by Audric Bezard. Paquette was the blond one and Bezard was dark and had a big jump. "Suite en Blanc" reminded me of a cross between "Symphony in C" and Lander's "Etudes" (less in your face flashy). Constantly interesting combinations and great variety all within the strict classical idiom. All the ballerinas had perfect pirouettes, high clean fouettés and dazzling balances. They all looked like potential Raymondas or Auroras. I was taken by Karl Paquette's entrechat sixes and Mathieu Ganio's beautiful line. Marie-Agnes Gillot was gorgeous. BTW: Agnes Letestu was out as Cigarette replaced by Gillot and I think Cozette or Gilbert is dancing the part later on. Letestu still has a bio in the program but her name is not on the cast list, so I don't think she came over. Aurelie Dupont has the ethereal beauty and serene grace of some kind of dancing goddess and every move was perfect and gorgeous. Benjamin Pech is a charmer.

"Arlesienne" by Roland Petit is from a famous naturalistic 19th century play by Alphonse Daudet. It concerns a country farmer Frederi who falls in love with an unseen titular Woman from Arles who turns out to be an unfaithful tramp. One of his own farmhands admits to relations with her! The farmer falls into a deep depression and fatalistic despair that his childhood sweetheart Vivette (who is the girl in the ballet) and mother cannot shake him from. The farmer then hurls himself from a hayloft and commits suicide. Where is Cher in "Moonstruck" to slap him upside the head and say "Snap Out of IT!!"? Jeremie Belingard had remarkable speed and precision in his turns and footwork and danced with unusual emotional commitment and intensity. Isabella Ciarovola was lovely as Vivette. The ballet is worth seeing but Belingard made it a special event.

"Bolero" brought the house down. The precision of the movements in these modern works and the technical command of the dancers do bring an extra dimension to these 20th century works that were choreographed for modern dance or modern ballet companies. Every move seems to be in high definition as the Paris Opera Ballet dancers perform them - the choreography is always very clear.

For whatever reason, 4th ring seats for 7/14 2pm and 7/18 are not listed online, therefore, there are plenty of prime seats available in that section. For example, front row A seats are still available, or for $25 a ticket you can score center seats in row G. They are available at the box office or Center Charge 212-721-6500, just not online.

Just a note - all the shows have available seats including the 4th and 5th Rings. I picked up a few today. Also, Lincoln Center is not selling standing room unless the shows sell out. Last night and tonight were not sold out. I checked the Atrium and talked to the sales representative there. He said that the Paris Opera Ballet is sold out (not true) but that he didn't expect that any discounted tickets will be sent to the Atrium. So in short, no standing room and no Atrium discount.

Standing room was definitely sold last night and will also be available for tonight, which is now fully sold out. Probably will be available for all remaining performances except the Giselle's. It has been a long time since State Theater has been so full. Wonderful to see! Longer season for Paris soon?!?!

Just back from POB. Was so looking forward to this, but I have to say, it was a bit of a disappointment. The choreography was so sub standard, predictable and trite. "L'arlesienne" was just silly. I couldn't wait for him to jump out that window! "Bolero" is "Le Beefcake Francais", even though the lead was taken by Marie-Agnes Gillot this time. (I may have appreciated it more with the all male cast). Still, it had no real sensuality, no drive (despite the pulsating score). Just another night at the old Studio 54! As for "Suite en Blanc", I can only say how grateful I am that "Symphony in C" exists . I'm sure the company will redeem itself with "Giselle", but this trio of dances told me little about the dancers and what they are capable of. No-one seemed to have any individuality or personality. Very occasionally I'd get a whiff of the perfume that is Paris and it's dancers, but all too often the scent was stale.