This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

POB Headed to NYC in 2012

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#1 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:32 AM

See NY Times link below:

http://artsbeat.blog...-york/?ref=arts

I'm looking forward to Giselle and the mixed bill. Pina Bausch, not so much.

#2 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:55 AM

Bausch's Orpheus is absolutely worth seeing. It's bleak and it's not ballet, but her theatrical sense is whole and true, the designs by Rolf Borzik are stunning and the company gives it a top-notch performance.

#3 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:52 PM

It's marvelous to finally get the official announcement, I'm quite excited about it. Seems especially wonderful to have two such rare visitors--RDB and POB--in successive summers, along with the usual ABT stars.

Thanks for the remarks on the Pina Bausch, I think I will definitely want to see it now. I kept hoping they'd schedule 'Wuthering Heights', but it looks like they won't. The 'Caligula' I recently enjoyed many parts of, but wouldn't most likely feel the need to see it live if they did it, nor the 'Siddhartha', after Nanarina's impressions of it. I'm also intrigued by the prospect of their 'Giselle', as I imagine it will be very crisp and slightly cooler than most versions. Have you seen it?

I'm really not going to pay much attention to what anybody does with 'Bolero' (I can't even believe Ravel is the one who wrote it sometimes), but maybe it will be at the end of a mixed bill, and I can split.

#4 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:14 PM

I suppose it's Bejart's Bolero?

#5 Azulynn

Azulynn

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:30 AM

It is Amy. Usually performed either by Nicolas Le Riche or Marie-Agnès Gillot.

#6 cinnamonswirl

cinnamonswirl

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:57 AM

I'm also intrigued by the prospect of their 'Giselle', as I imagine it will be very crisp and slightly cooler than most versions. Have you seen it?

There's actually a DVD of their Giselle with Nicolas Le Riche and Laetitia Pujol -- from 2006, I think. The production, which is also done by La Scala, is very nice, with a marvelous peasant pas de deux from Thibault and Ould-Braham, but personally I find Le Riche and Pujol an odd paring, with Pujol very weak in the 2nd act. Gillot is fantastic as Myrtha though.

I'm kind of disappointed POB is bringing Giselle to Washington, since we just had the Mariinsky's this year.

#7 Nanarina

Nanarina

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:36 AM

With regard to Giselle, Laetica Pujol had literally just returned from maternity leave, and I believe that the DVD was filmed over more than one performance as she was not yet back tio full fitness. Maybe that is why she appeared weak in the second act. You need to see her in Nureyev's Cendrillon as one of the ugly sisters, to find her on better form.

#8 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:14 AM

....I'm kind of disappointed POB is bringing Giselle to Washington, since we just had the Mariinsky's this year.

Me too. Giselle is a 'cheap way out' - two acts, relatively short = no chance of overtime pay to unions.

So many possibilities in the POB's repertoire and this is what they bring? The triple bill that they'll be presenting elsewhere on the US tour (which includes Suite en Blanc) would have been more exciting.

#9 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:10 PM

From NYT:

After stops in Chicago (at the Harris Theater) and Washington (at the Kennedy Center), it will take up residence in New York from July 11 to 22 next year, performing “Suite en Blanc,” “L’Arlésienne,” “Bolero,” “Giselle” and Pina Bausch’s version of “Orpheus and Eurydice.”

How long is Orpheus & Eurydice? Is it a full length? The run will be almost 2 weeks long, that means they need at least 3, or possibly 4 programs, to fill the run. Also the engagement includes July 22 which is a Sunday, does that mean POB will be performing at the State instead of the Met?

#10 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:31 PM

The first three works were shown as a triple bill in Paris last season and on tour the season before that. Giselle and Orpheus are both full-evening.

Orpheus is in four tableaux - Bausch deletes Gluck's deus ex machina happy end, and it's about 2 hours long.

#11 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:34 AM

Does anybody know when the NYC, 2012, tickets will go on sale. After miliosr's post on Chicago, I guess it might be soon, and that's the furthest in advance I've ever heard of ticksts being sold--a year and 3 months or so, earlier than the Kirov when we had them here in 2008.

#12 Waelsung

Waelsung

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:02 PM

Does anybody know when the NYC, 2012, tickets will go on sale. After miliosr's post on Chicago, I guess it might be soon, and that's the furthest in advance I've ever heard of ticksts being sold--a year and 3 months or so, earlier than the Kirov when we had them here in 2008.

As it is part of Lincoln Center Summer Festival, I imagine the tix will go on sale with the rest of the program - probably in the Spring of 2012. I wonder if they will also be sold by the Met box office a la the Kirov this year.

#13 MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:29 PM

See NY Times link below:

http://artsbeat.blog...-york/?ref=arts

I'm looking forward to Giselle and the mixed bill. Pina Bausch, not so much.

Too bad they're not doing Nureyev's Raymonda. :(

#14 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:37 PM

Did anyone see the Air France Le Parc TV commerical? I wonder if it's part of the upcoming POB US tour tie in. Absolutely beautiful. The most beautiful airline TV spot I've ever seen. I wonder who're the 2 dancers in the commercial, are they from POB?

#15 silvermash

silvermash

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:32 AM

no. It's taken from Le Parc by Angelin Preljocaj and was created in 1994. The dancers are Benjamin Millepied from NYCB and Virginie Caussin, a dancer from Ballet Preljocaj.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):