37 replies to this topic

#1 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:31 PM

ABT's casting for Moscow is up at its site - http://www.abt.org/calendar.aspx

It looks like the whole company isn't going. I think the best cast for Theme is Lane/Cornejo

The new Millepied work "Troika" seems to be for 3 men and has some interesting casting.

Fancy Free & Seven Sonata have pretty much the same casting as usual.

Can't wait to hear how the Russian audiences respong.

#2 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:04 PM

I hope there's a Kultura TV report(or perhaps some of our sneaky Russian friends on youtube will attend!). We too rarely see any clips of ABT's dancers. I swear the company acts as if streaming video doesn't even exist.

#3 golden_slave

golden_slave

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:37 PM

We too rarely see any clips of ABT's dancers. I swear the company acts as if streaming video doesn't even exist.

You're so right!

#4 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:59 PM

So happy to see Isabella Boylston dancing principal and soloist parts in Moscow. The others sharing the roles she dances and all the male partners are already principals and soloists. Isabella is the only corps member in those roles. It is time for her to be promoted to soloist!!! How much longer do we have to wait?!

#5 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:46 PM

Well here is a brief clip. If you go to 1:35 you will see some of Millepied's Troika, which seems to consist the guys flinging Simkin around, and a bit of Fancy Free!

Hopefully more will come!

edit:

This one has a bit more of Fancy Free

#6 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:47 PM

Based on the brief clip, the choreography of the new Millipied work looks strikingly similar to the work he recently did for NYCB called Plainspoken.

How have the reviews been for Troika? Anyone out there who can give us a translation of some of the reviews?

#7 CM

CM

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 07:36 AM

First Night of ABT in Moscow by CCTV (video) Footage of Fancy Free et al

http://english.cntv....02/104481.shtml

#8 CM

CM

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:27 AM

Kevin McKenzie interview with RT (video)

http://rt.com/news/p...theater-moscow/

Euronews feature on ABT in Moscow (video)

http://www.euronews....urns-to-russia/

#9 Ambonnay

Ambonnay

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:46 PM

Is this from Moscow?

#10 vrsfanatic

vrsfanatic

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 04:00 PM

I have no idea if it is Moscow or Havana, but thank you so much for this. :flowers:

#11 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 04:44 PM

Yes, thank you! Since the poster has posted only Russian videos, it seems safe to assume this was the Moscow performance. I probably should not be surprised by Boylston's authority and radiance, but I am. :clapping: This is not the performance of a corps dancer.

#12 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:20 PM

I probably should not be surprised by Boylston's authority and radiance, but I am. :clapping: This is not the performance of a corps dancer.

No, it sure doesn't look like a corps dancer. She's really stunning in this. She was a standout for me in EDHAO when I saw ABT at NJPAC last November but she is really even more impressive here. :flowers:

#13 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:31 AM

Yes, thank you! Since the poster has posted only Russian videos, it seems safe to assume this was the Moscow performance. I probably should not be surprised by Boylston's authority and radiance, but I am. :clapping: This is not the performance of a corps dancer.

Elga1525 does mentioned that this was filmed on 3-30-2011 in Moscow.It would be wonderful if the complete performance be shown. :clapping: :yahoo:

#14 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:44 AM

Her interpretation is much too playful---par for the course of a corps dancer but not a Ballerina. Hallberg tried valiantly to maintain his Danseur nobility but her broad smiles cast a shadow on his performance.---try viewing Farrell or Lopatkina.

#15 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:48 PM

Are you sure you were watching the clip with Isabella Boylston? She is hardly dancing in a playful manner - she's far too elegant in her performance that you could call any part of it 'playful'! And what broad smiles? She wasn't smiling at all! In fact, she reminded me of Suzanne Farrell in her interpretation. You must be referring to a different videoclip!
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I rewatched the clip and saw what you might interpret as smiling. Isabella dances with a slightly open mouth, teeth closed - in fact it's a way to breathe through your teeth while exerting effort - and you may have thought she was smiling when she was just showing us her usual face. There were 2 brief incidences of a real smile. The first came just before a développé à la seconde as she was opening her arms en face; the second instance was during a supported pirouette as both she and David looked at each other, and David smiled, too.

I repeat my ongoing plea: why hasn't Kevin promoted her yet???!!! She's been dancing solo and principal parts for so long and is as good or better a technician and overall dancer than others who have, through the years. been made soloists far sooner in their trajectories.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):