This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Cast lists for Bournonville's "A Folktale" (Et Folkesagn)

Anne

Cast lists for some of the first performances of Bornonville's "A Folktale" has come up on RDB's homepage:

Cast list

They have produced a short video as well, where one can see some of the sets and costumes:

Video

I'm happy to see Lis Jeppesen cast (again) as the kind troll Viderik, parallel to Thomas Lund. Jeppesen is the most endearing Viderik, I have ever seen, only equalled by Sorella Englund, who is directing this new production in collaboration with Nikolaj Hübbe. It is exciting to see, what Thomas Lund can make of the part, too, though I'm a bit sorry that his talents are used almost totally on the comical parts with very little dancing in them. He is still such a brilliant dancer but lately one has had only a few chances to see him dance. It seems that his own interests are going more towards directing and teaching and less towards dancing.

Susanne Grinder is an ideal cast as Hilda. She has a poetic and lyrical air and possesses at the same time a refreshing "modernness" in her ways, which might spice up the character. Her Sylphide promised a lot in that direction.

David Amzallag has some rehearsal photos which also show what is presumably a third cast - Caroline Baldwin and Kristoffer Sakurai. If that's right, it's a huge step up for Baldwin! - as well as excellent news that Sakurai will be back.

By the way I notice from the cast lists Anne has linked to that the trolls' mother, Muri, is played by a man in both casts - when I've seen the last production it's been done by a woman, so is this going back to an earlier tradition?

Hilary Guswiler as 2nd-cast Hilda also seems to be a surprise, as she is still in the corps de ballet. Yet,I see that she has already essayed Odette/Odile, so she's obviously a dancer on the Fast Track up. I hope that we will see all of these casts in Washington, DC, during the tour.

So happy to see that the costumes and props look fanciful and elaborate (so far). I remain hopeful for something luxurious and not 'bare bones' with the scenery, which we can't really see in this video clip.

By the way I notice from the cast lists Anne has linked to that the trolls' mother, Muri, is played by a man in both casts - when I've seen the last production it's been done by a woman, so is this going back to an earlier tradition?

As far as I know there has been a few male Muris during time, but it is not custom. Most Muris have definitely been female.

Hilary Guswiler as 2nd-cast Hilda also seems to be a surprise, as she is still in the corps de ballet. Yet,I see that she has already essayed Odette/Odile, so she's obviously a dancer on the Fast Track up. I hope that we will see all of these casts in Washington, DC, during the tour.

Hilda is often given to a very young dancer, who is not in the rank of the soloists yet. And very often these dancers have later developed into great ballerinas: Kirsten Simone, Lis Jeppesen, Sorella Englund, Gudrun Bojesen among others.

I think you are right about Hilary Gusweiler being in the fast track. I haven't seen much of her yet, but the smaller thing I have seen her in has been fine. I hope I will soon see more of her!