This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB Vienna Waltzes

I adore Vienna Waltzes. It's wonderfully romantic. I'm not sure when City Ballet will perform it again but I will be interested to see who Peter Martins cast in the final section - Der Rosenkavalier.

For years only Darci Kistler and Kyra Nichols danced that section. With both ladies now retired which current ballerina will inherit role?

I think Maria Kowroski would be a natural and perhaps the most obvious choice. She would need to be coached carefully.

I mean you just can't teach any dancer the steps and then tell her, "go to it." The ballerina must create an atmosphere of pure romanticism. For the first few moments she's alone on stage and she must command that stage in order to grab the audience attention. Without achieving that she's lost. She must have an air of regal nobility; she has to somehow be in a state of creamy aloftness. She's approachable but yet still out of reach...but you remain fascianted. She's captivating and she makes the viewer spellbound. In some ways she's like Balanchine's "Diamonds" but instead of wearing a tutu and toe shoes, she's in a long beautiful grown and is wearing heels.

I think it's a given Wendy Whelan will be given the chance to dance the role...if for nothing else currently she's the senior ballerina of the company and there's something about that role that seems to need a dancer with weight of experience on her shoulder. An air of dignity and grace which you could only achieve with years of dancing. Whelan has that along with Kowroski.

I think Jennie Somogyi may do surprisingly well in the role. But then again I always have a soft spot for Somogyi.

Perhaps Jenifer Ringer - although she's probably best suited in the Gold and Silver Waltz.

Of the more recent promoted principal ballerinas I think Teresa Reichlen, Sara Mearns and perhaps Sterling Hyltin may also be fine choices.

I adore Vienna Waltzes. It's wonderfully romantic. I'm not sure when City Ballet will perform it again but I will be interested to see who Peter Martins cast in the final section - Der Rosenkavalier.

For years only Darci Kistler and Kyra Nichols danced that section. With both ladies now retired which current ballerina will inherit role?

I think Maria Kowroski would be a natural and perhaps the most obvious choice. She would need to be coached carefully.

I mean you just can't teach any dancer the steps and then tell her, "go to it." The ballerina must create an atmosphere of pure romanticism. For the first few moments she's alone on stage and she must command that stage in order to grab the audience attention. Without achieving that she's lost. She must have an air of regal nobility; she has to somehow be in a state of creamy aloftness. She's approachable but yet still out of reach...but you remain fascianted. She's captivating and she makes the viewer spellbound. In some ways she's like Balanchine's "Diamonds" but instead of wearing a tutu and toe shoes, she's in a long beautiful grown and is wearing heels.

I think it's a given Wendy Whelan will be given the chance to dance the role...if for nothing else currently she's the senior ballerina of the company and there's something about that role that seems to need a dancer with weight of experience on her shoulder. An air of dignity and grace which you could only achieve with years of dancing. Whelan has that along with Kowroski.

I think Jennie Somogyi may do surprisingly well in the role. But then again I always have a soft spot for Somogyi.

Perhaps Jenifer Ringer - although she's probably best suited in the Gold and Silver Waltz.

Of the more recent promoted principal ballerinas I think Teresa Reichlen, Sara Mearns and perhaps Sterling Hyltin may also be fine choices.

Mearns. But I have a soft spot for Somogyi too.

Ringer has been doing Gold and Silver for many years. I think they might need a second cast for this, and I would pick Somogyi for it. I think Hyltin has done the section with the polka, but she would be much better suited to the allegro section, Voices of Spring. Mearns has done Tales From the Vienna Woods, but I would love to see her do the final section of the ballet. Kowrowski is due for a shot at the final section. Since Whelan is apparently in rehearsal for the new Seven Deadly Sins ballet (see photo on NYCB homepage), which will be on the same program as Vienna Waltzes this spring, I'm not sure whether she would also be cast in Vienna Waltzes this time around. We'll see. To satisfy LuPone's schedule, they are doing all six performances of Seven Deadly Sins in a single week.