This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Daniil Simkin

little-junkie

We've discussed Simkin quite a bit on ABT and competition threads. He is a very special artist - so angelic-looking, yet technically brilliant. I believe that most of our reports when he joined ABT noted that he might be limited in his repertoire because of his relatively small heighth and his bravura style but he seems to have proven to be more than just 'the little whiz kid' who can crank-out small competition solos like Les Bourgeois or Flames of Paris pdd. He garnered good reviews for his debut as one of the leads in ABT's version of Ratmansky's Bright Stream, for example.

So, size is a consideration?

Yes, it is. It's always a limiting factor when determining who you're dancing with. There's a pas de deux in Balanchine's "Bourree Fantasque" for a short man and a very tall woman (originally Jerome Robbins and Diana Adams), but you can't count on that kind of role always being available. Simkin is also a very strong and able dance actor, so that somewhat offsets the height issue.

So, size is a consideration?

Yes, it is. It's always a limiting factor when determining who you're dancing with. There's a pas de deux in Balanchine's "Bourree Fantasque" for a short man and a very tall woman (originally Jerome Robbins and Diana Adams), but you can't count on that kind of role always being available. Simkin is also a very strong and able dance actor, so that somewhat offsets the height issue.

Also, the average height of professional dancers has been increasing since Nureyev and Baryshnikov. Simkin would have had an easier time regarding his height 30 years ago.

....Also, the average height of professional dancers has been increasing since Nureyev and Baryshnikov. Simkin would have had an easier time regarding his height 30 years ago.

Also, the initial concerns about Simkins' petit size had to do with overall small musculature and bone structure (narrowish shoulder line) and not just height. He was more the delicate type, like Sarafanov at the start of his career. Baryshnikov, Cornejo, Batalov and others may be/have been shortish but never 'delicate.' My understanding is that Simkin has bulked up, so this may no longer be a problem. Looking forward to his first Prince Siegfried on Wednesday. He has always been an exciting dancer but I have not seen him since Flames of Paris pdd in DC 2-3 yrs ago, so I am really looking forward to viewing the transformation for myself.

....Also, the average height of professional dancers has been increasing since Nureyev and Baryshnikov. Simkin would have had an easier time regarding his height 30 years ago.

Also, the initial concerns about Simkins' petit size had to do with overall small musculature and bone structure (narrowish shoulder line) and not just height. He was more the delicate type, like Sarafanov at the start of his career. ...My understanding is that Simkin has bulked up, so this may no longer be a problem.

He still seems very slight and boyish to me...

There used to be talk in the old days about SAB rejecting students because their heads were "too big". I always thought it was silly, but I think I see how it makes us see Daniil Simkin as boyish... seems like just something to learn to work off of, but might mean trouble in stereotypic casting...

Also, the initial concerns about Simkins' petit size had to do with overall small musculature and bone structure (narrowish shoulder line) and not just height. He was more the delicate type, like Sarafanov at the start of his career. ...My understanding is that Simkin has bulked up, so this may no longer be a problem.

He still seems very slight and boyish to me...

And even with his more virile type, Cornejo has had a real struggle getting the princely principal roles (I don't mean doing them, I mean being seen as right for them). And partnering is still his weakest point.

Drew, I hope you're wrong about Simkin still looking too slight. We'll see on Wednesday. I certainly wish him the best and, of course, 'his best' would benefit dear Isabella in her own debut. I have a crazy feeling that their pairing will yield some unexpected surprises.

Drew, I hope you're wrong about Simkin still looking too slight. We'll see on Wednesday. I certainly wish him the best and, of course, 'his best' would benefit dear Isabella in her own debut. I have a crazy feeling that their pairing will yield some unexpected surprises.

Very much hoping so!

When he did do the Bronze Idol in Bayadere he looked very thin but danced wonderfully. He looked like a little doll though, and that works for the Bronze Idol (looked like a statue instead of a human). Please report how he does....he deserves leading roles b/c he's talented, but his look might hold him back. Hope not!

Well, 'The Kid' became The Man yesterday, in his Swan Lake debut. Kudos and tons of RESPECT to Danil' Simkin. That was extraordinary...not matter how young he looked. He gave the role of Siegfried a totally new twist and made it work for him. I had hoped for the best but honestly didn't expect to see what I saw.

Well, 'The Kid' became The Man yesterday, in his Swan Lake debut. Kudos and tons of RESPECT to Danil' Simkin. That was extraordinary...not matter how young he looked. He gave the role of Siegfried a totally new twist and made it work for him. I had hoped for the best but honestly didn't expect to see what I saw.

Great to hear! Hope he dances it next season again. Maybe I can catch it then! This is very heartening news!