Daniil Simkin

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 little-junkie

little-junkie

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:00 AM

I'm interested in what you think of Daniil Simkin, one of the current ABT soloists. I have no word but feeling a chill by watching his performance of Fallen Angle.

#2 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:47 AM

We've discussed Simkin quite a bit on ABT and competition threads. He is a very special artist - so angelic-looking, yet technically brilliant. I believe that most of our reports when he joined ABT noted that he might be limited in his repertoire because of his relatively small heighth and his bravura style but he seems to have proven to be more than just 'the little whiz kid' who can crank-out small competition solos like Les Bourgeois or Flames of Paris pdd. He garnered good reviews for his debut as one of the leads in ABT's version of Ratmansky's Bright Stream, for example.

#3 vipa

vipa

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:41 PM

I'm interested in what you think of Daniil Simkin, one of the current ABT soloists. I have no word but feeling a chill by watching his performance of Fallen Angle.

In case you don't know - there is a very nice interview with Simkin on Ballet Pulp - http://dancepulp.com.../daniil-simkin/

#4 little-junkie

little-junkie

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:36 PM

vipa, yes I have seen that clip. I was very intrigued.

#5 janeintucson

janeintucson

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:52 AM

So, size is a consideration? Didn't think that when it came to Mischa, his size was anything to consider? At the time when he defected, he was the greatest thing since sliced Nureyev.

#6 little-junkie

little-junkie

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:58 PM

Found this clip on youtube, it's all in Japanese:

Daniil Simkin in The Tokyo Ballet (2010)

#7 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:48 AM

So, size is a consideration?

Yes, it is. It's always a limiting factor when determining who you're dancing with. There's a pas de deux in Balanchine's "Bourree Fantasque" for a short man and a very tall woman (originally Jerome Robbins and Diana Adams), but you can't count on that kind of role always being available. Simkin is also a very strong and able dance actor, so that somewhat offsets the height issue.

#8 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:40 AM

So, size is a consideration?

Yes, it is. It's always a limiting factor when determining who you're dancing with. There's a pas de deux in Balanchine's "Bourree Fantasque" for a short man and a very tall woman (originally Jerome Robbins and Diana Adams), but you can't count on that kind of role always being available. Simkin is also a very strong and able dance actor, so that somewhat offsets the height issue.

Also, the average height of professional dancers has been increasing since Nureyev and Baryshnikov. Simkin would have had an easier time regarding his height 30 years ago.

#9 innopac

innopac

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]This shows the development of an artist over time :)[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Le Corsaire: Revisited - by Daniil Simkin [youtube][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif][/font][/size]

#10 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:53 AM

Thanks! I recognise in a few of those excerpts the "kleine ballettsaal" (small studio) in the Wiesbaden theatre, where I danced many, many years ago. :)

He is indeed a remarkable dancer. :)

-d-

#11 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:03 AM

....Also, the average height of professional dancers has been increasing since Nureyev and Baryshnikov. Simkin would have had an easier time regarding his height 30 years ago.

Also, the initial concerns about Simkins' petit size had to do with overall small musculature and bone structure (narrowish shoulder line) and not just height. He was more the delicate type, like Sarafanov at the start of his career. Baryshnikov, Cornejo, Batalov and others may be/have been shortish but never 'delicate.' My understanding is that Simkin has bulked up, so this may no longer be a problem. Looking forward to his first Prince Siegfried on Wednesday. He has always been an exciting dancer but I have not seen him since Flames of Paris pdd in DC 2-3 yrs ago, so I am really looking forward to viewing the transformation for myself.

#12 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

....Also, the average height of professional dancers has been increasing since Nureyev and Baryshnikov. Simkin would have had an easier time regarding his height 30 years ago.

Also, the initial concerns about Simkins' petit size had to do with overall small musculature and bone structure (narrowish shoulder line) and not just height. He was more the delicate type, like Sarafanov at the start of his career. ...My understanding is that Simkin has bulked up, so this may no longer be a problem.

He still seems very slight and boyish to me...

#13 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

There used to be talk in the old days about SAB rejecting students because their heads were "too big". I always thought it was silly, but I think I see how it makes us see Daniil Simkin as boyish... seems like just something to learn to work off of, but might mean trouble in stereotypic casting...

#14 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

Also, the initial concerns about Simkins' petit size had to do with overall small musculature and bone structure (narrowish shoulder line) and not just height. He was more the delicate type, like Sarafanov at the start of his career. ...My understanding is that Simkin has bulked up, so this may no longer be a problem.

He still seems very slight and boyish to me...

And even with his more virile type, Cornejo has had a real struggle getting the princely principal roles (I don't mean doing them, I mean being seen as right for them). And partnering is still his weakest point.

#15 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:38 PM

Drew, I hope you're wrong about Simkin still looking too slight. We'll see on Wednesday. I certainly wish him the best and, of course, 'his best' would benefit dear Isabella in her own debut. I have a crazy feeling that their pairing will yield some unexpected surprises.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):