This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Kirov Bayaderes in Ottawa, Feb 2011

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 little-junkie

little-junkie

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:27 PM

I was wondering about that last nite...the eight drum dance guys came out to bow, then I was expecting the 3 soloists, and nothing. I thought, "where did they go?"

The two Magdaveyas (Head Fakir - fire guy) were excellent. In the matinees, Grigory Popov displayed wonderful high jumps...but the 'true show-off' among the two was a new name for me in solo roles: Alexander Kulikov, not only a high jumper but extremely flexible and milking every second to the hilt. Bravo!

They were indeed very impressive. Did you also notice that they were left out at the curtain calls, for all three acts? Perhaps the character is considered too small to have any spotlight...

#32 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:54 PM

Really? You're right! The Head Fakir performs quite a bit - one of the few who appears in every act. I wouldn't want to see him coming out at the end of Act III just for the little dance with the snake charmer but he certainly performs more in Act I than many others.

In Russia, the two leads (not the 'drum boy') of the Indian Dance actually get curtain calls after Act II, with the female getting flowers.

#33 little-junkie

little-junkie

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:55 AM

The music of la Bayadere has been stuck in my head since the performances...

#34 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:16 AM

Me too, little-junkie! Especially the festive march that opens Act II, with the parade of characters. And who was the first Mariinsky artist who I recognized as we were checking into our Toronto hotel? Hard to miss: the very tall & imposing Vladimir Ponomaryev! He turned around and laughed when I told my husband, "Look! It's the High Brahmin!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):