This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Don Q

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:13 AM

I am in the middle of watching the Nuryev version of Don Q on VHS tape. I am so far not impressed with the ballet, but I am amazed by Nuryev. I have heard so much about his footwork and speed, but I have never heard about how secure he was in lifting and assisting his partner in turning. Does he place his hand further in front of the waist and ribs than others, and is this the reason for the sense of security and ease? His partnering seems so secure and effortless. Usually, I see hands twisting and turning at the waist, but not with RN. Also, he seems so small, but lifts with such fluidity, strength, and ease.

Can you identify the time marker for the place you're looking at? I don't notice anything distinctive here about what he's doing with his hands, but perhaps I'm just not seeing it.

I can't even fix the tracking. I am lucky I can turn it on and off. Time = flash 12 flash 12. LOL.
Honestly, it is throughout.

I find it strange that he kicks and lifts his leg higher than his female partner, and don't know if that is variance in skill or intentional. The female looks sloppy, weak and/or constrained compared to him. Also, a lot of the turns involve semi-open legs, which seems unfinished, but, as in other dances, can be intentional. It is jarring, though.

#17 Ray

Ray

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:18 AM

I am in the middle of watching the Nuryev version of Don Q on VHS tape. I am so far not impressed with the ballet, but I am amazed by Nuryev. I have heard so much about his footwork and speed, but I have never heard about how secure he was in lifting and assisting his partner in turning. Does he place his hand further in front of the waist and ribs than others, and is this the reason for the sense of security and ease? His partnering seems so secure and effortless. Usually, I see hands twisting and turning at the waist, but not with RN. Also, he seems so small, but lifts with such fluidity, strength, and ease.

Can you identify the time marker for the place you're looking at? I don't notice anything distinctive here about what he's doing with his hands, but perhaps I'm just not seeing it.

I can't even fix the tracking. I am lucky I can turn it on and off. Time = flash 12 flash 12. LOL.
Honestly, it is throughout.

I find it strange that he kicks and lifts his leg higher than his female partner, and don't know if that is variance in skill or intentional. The female looks sloppy, weak and/or constrained compared to him. Also, a lot of the turns involve semi-open legs, which seems unfinished, but, as in other dances, can be intentional. It is jarring, though.

OH sorry, I thought you meant you were watching the clip that EvilNinjaX posted. My mistake.

#18 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:15 PM

I finally finished watching the tape of the Australian Ballet performing "Don Q." I am left wondering how a wonderful book could be turned into such an uninspired, insignificant ballet. The first act is a blurry mess. The story is poorly conceived and expressed. I only enjoyed the vision scene, which occurs after Don Q encounters the windmill in Act IIm and the wedding dance in Act III. I understand why a dancer would want to perform in this ballet, though, in light of some of the dancing and the ample solo and pdd work.

Nuryev's dancing is remarkable. His partnering amazes; it is secure and seems effortles, as I have stated earlier in this thread. I cannot believe how much upper body strength he has, since he does not look very large. His footwork is quick and clear. When he was onstage, everyone else looked like an amateur in comparison. However, his acting and mime seemed overstated, particularly for video.

The costumes and set were crowded, too busy, and unattractive. My mind was occupied trying to decide whether Basilo's tights contained padding in the rear, because of the distractingly unusual shape, instead of watching the dancing. I entertained similarly silly thoughts regarding the attire other dancers wore, as well.

This ballet did not entrance me with compelling drama, beauty or the expression of emotion. I was quite disappointed. I do not know if the dancing is sufficiently interesting to entice me to pay money to see this ballet in person.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):