This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The place to start is here:

Either

Do an advanced search:

• Click the little wheel icon next to the green and white magnifying glass icon in the search box at the top of each page (under the secontion for username)
  • Enter "Don Quixote" with quotation marks in the "Find Words" top search box
  • Select the "Ballet Videos, etc" forum from the forum list
  • Click "Search Now"

or

Start with these links:

Recommend me a Don Quixote, please!

Which video "Don Quixote" do you recommend?

Other threads and comments:

Mariinsky Don Quixote DVD Sarafanov/Novikova

Beautiful release!:Cuban National Ballet's Don Quijote. (2007)

Please recommend a version of "Don Q" to see (either to purchase or to view at the NYPL). I have not seen this ballet before and have read much about it.

The Kirov Ballet's performance with Tatiana Terekhova and Farukh Rumizatov is the one I love best. Terekhova is a brilliant Kitri.

http://www.amazon.com/Minkus-Quixote-Terekhova-Ruzimatov-Ponomaryov/dp/B0006212TU/ref=sr_1_4?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1298572479&sr=1-4

The Kirov Ballet's performance with Tatiana Terekhova and Farukh Rumizatov is the one I love best. Terekhova is a brilliant Kitri.

...and I believe the only one available showing Kitri's original final act variation...?

I'm not sure if it's the original-original Kitri Act 4 variation but this music and somewhat-similar steps has been used by the Bolshoi for a long time, for the First Flower Girl Variation in the Act 4 Grand Pas. The main difference is that instead of Terekhova's final diagonal of double-pirouettes, the Bolshoi Flower Girl performs a series of grands jetes around the circumference of the stage.

I agree, this remains one of the finest commercially-available Don Qs, from a performance-quality point of view. It's a shame that it's so 'low definition.' I am hoping that, somewhere in the vaults of Russian State TV, there is a sharper version of this wonderful film. The US-version Kultur video (and the DVD copies from it) has the crappiest resolution imaginable. Even for its day (ca 1988), it was poor.

...and I believe the only one available showing Kitri's original final act variation...?

I'm not sure if it's the original-original Kitri Act 4 variation but this music and somewhat-similar steps has been used by the Bolshoi for a long time, for the First Flower Girl Variation in the Act 4 Grand Pas. The main difference is that instead of Terekhova's final diagonal of double-pirouettes, the Bolshoi Flower Girl performs a series of grands jetes around the circumference of the stage.

I agree, this remains one of the finest commercially-available Don Qs, from a performance-quality point of view. It's a shame that it's so 'low definition.' I am hoping that, somewhere in the vaults of Russian State TV, there is a sharper version of this wonderful film. The US-version Kultur video (and the DVD copies from it) has the crappiest resolution imaginable. Even for its day (ca 1988), it was poor.

Thanks, Natasha for that info!

I don't know how reliable is Wikipedia on this matters, but this is what it has to say about it...

"When he staged the production in St. Petersburg in 1902, the composer Riccardo Drigo composed two new variations for Kschessinskaya the famous Variation of Kitri with the fan for the ballet's final pas de deux, and the Variation of Kitri as Dulcinea for the scene of Don Quixote's dream (these variations are still retained in modern productions, and are often erroneously credited to Minkus)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote_(ballet)

Yes, that's for sure, cubanmiamiboy. Both of those now-standard variations for Kitri are by Drigo for the 1902 Gorsky version...the last production danced by Kchessinskaya before giving birth to her son! (She cleverly adjusted her positions to minimize the obvious, she wrote in her memoirs.)

Terekhova is dancing to Minkus music, so that makes it earlier.

Thank you, Natalia, for pointing out the lousy video resolution.

My library has a VHS tape of Nuryev and a DVD of Baryshnikov in "Don Q". Which is preferable for a first time viewing of this ballet?

I haven't seen the Nureyev film but I adore the Baryshnikov version with Cynthia Harvey. A friend of mine watches this one every time she is down in the dumps and it works a treat!

I agree that Terekhova and Ruzimatov is the best despite the image quality. I like that Vladimir Ponomaryov plays the Don in this version from 1991 and the current Kirov version with Novikova and Sarafanov from 2009. He didn't age much in between. Baryshnikov and Harvey's DQ is also great. The POB version with Dupont and Legris was disappointing, they could deliver but were a bit too old. Kitri must look young and Spanish and dance with her eyes. I loved Alonso's Ballet Nacional de Cuba version filmed in Paris in 2007 (BelAir). Viengsay Valdes and the rest of the young cast were brilliant. The Kirov are presenting Don Quixote in Covent Garden in the summer, and I have signed up for it, as well as for a tribute to Fokine.

I am in the middle of watching the Nuryev version of Don Q on VHS tape. I am so far not impressed with the ballet, but I am amazed by Nuryev. I have heard so much about his footwork and speed, but I have never heard about how secure he was in lifting and assisting his partner in turning. Does he place his hand further in front of the waist and ribs than others, and is this the reason for the sense of security and ease? His partnering seems so secure and effortless. Usually, I see hands twisting and turning at the waist, but not with RN. Also, he seems so small, but lifts with such fluidity, strength, and ease.

I am in the middle of watching the Nuryev version of Don Q on VHS tape. I am so far not impressed with the ballet, but I am amazed by Nuryev. I have heard so much about his footwork and speed, but I have never heard about how secure he was in lifting and assisting his partner in turning. Does he place his hand further in front of the waist and ribs than others, and is this the reason for the sense of security and ease? His partnering seems so secure and effortless. Usually, I see hands twisting and turning at the waist, but not with RN. Also, he seems so small, but lifts with such fluidity, strength, and ease.

Can you identify the time marker for the place you're looking at? I don't notice anything distinctive here about what he's doing with his hands, but perhaps I'm just not seeing it.

Can you identify the time marker for the place you're looking at? I don't notice anything distinctive here about what he's doing with his hands, but perhaps I'm just not seeing it.

I can't even fix the tracking. I am lucky I can turn it on and off. Time = flash 12 flash 12. LOL.

Honestly, it is throughout.

I find it strange that he kicks and lifts his leg higher than his female partner, and don't know if that is variance in skill or intentional. The female looks sloppy, weak and/or constrained compared to him. Also, a lot of the turns involve semi-open legs, which seems unfinished, but, as in other dances, can be intentional. It is jarring, though.

I can't even fix the tracking. I am lucky I can turn it on and off. Time = flash 12 flash 12. LOL.

Honestly, it is throughout.

I find it strange that he kicks and lifts his leg higher than his female partner, and don't know if that is variance in skill or intentional. The female looks sloppy, weak and/or constrained compared to him. Also, a lot of the turns involve semi-open legs, which seems unfinished, but, as in other dances, can be intentional. It is jarring, though.

OH sorry, I thought you meant you were watching the clip that EvilNinjaX posted. My mistake.

I finally finished watching the tape of the Australian Ballet performing "Don Q." I am left wondering how a wonderful book could be turned into such an uninspired, insignificant ballet. The first act is a blurry mess. The story is poorly conceived and expressed. I only enjoyed the vision scene, which occurs after Don Q encounters the windmill in Act IIm and the wedding dance in Act III. I understand why a dancer would want to perform in this ballet, though, in light of some of the dancing and the ample solo and pdd work.

Nuryev's dancing is remarkable. His partnering amazes; it is secure and seems effortles, as I have stated earlier in this thread. I cannot believe how much upper body strength he has, since he does not look very large. His footwork is quick and clear. When he was onstage, everyone else looked like an amateur in comparison. However, his acting and mime seemed overstated, particularly for video.

The costumes and set were crowded, too busy, and unattractive. My mind was occupied trying to decide whether Basilo's tights contained padding in the rear, because of the distractingly unusual shape, instead of watching the dancing. I entertained similarly silly thoughts regarding the attire other dancers wore, as well.

This ballet did not entrance me with compelling drama, beauty or the expression of emotion. I was quite disappointed. I do not know if the dancing is sufficiently interesting to entice me to pay money to see this ballet in person.